Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Music Lover

Default Playing Exports and Keeping the Volume Down

We recently started a new church that is in a fairly small room. An Export kit was given to the church, and I am the drummer. I put Evans Hydraulics over coated G1's on the two toms. I am not happy with that sound.

I was thinking of going the opposite direction and putting coated G1's on the tops of the toms and tuning them up a bit so that if I play them very softly, they will still have some tone, kinda like a jazz drummer. Playing softly is not the issue; I can do that.

Do any of you have a suggestion how I can play softly on this kit and still get a decent tone from the toms? The snare and bass drum are OK. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    We recently started a new church that is in a fairly small room. An Export kit was given to the church, and I am the drummer. I put Evans Hydraulics over coated G1's on the two toms. I am not happy with that sound.

I was thinking of going the opposite direction and putting coated G1's on the tops of the toms and tuning them up a bit so that if I play them very softly, they will still have some tone, kinda like a jazz drummer. Playing softly is not the issue; I can do that.

Do any of you have a suggestion how I can play softly on this kit and still get a decent tone from the toms? The snare and bass drum are OK. Peace and goodwill.
    Many years back I had Remo Coated Ambassadors on my batters and clear Remo Ambassadors on the reso! Sounded awesome! Love me some 80's Exports! Good luck in your sound search!

3. Registered User

Put the G1 coated on the batter side and get some G1 clears for the reso, Evans G1 = Remo Ambassador, so like TMD says above. That's the setup I have on my Arcadia birch bop kit for big band jazz.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

4. Music Lover

That kit now has coated G1's on top and bottom on the two toms, and they sound quite good. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army