Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Gretsch maple Catalina...

Usually Gretsch isnt a name I hear spoken much by drummers who play heavy music... Not sure if it's maple wood or the 30 degree bearing edge. I'm looking to deepen my toms sound. The coated batters and clear reso's that came with it give it a beautiful tone. They sound great dont get me wrong and I don't want my toms to just "thud". I swapped the coated stock heads and reso heads for clear Evans EC2 batters and EC reso's. Its deeper, I probably still need to continue tuning but has anyone made progress with a nice deep tone using a different combination? I thought about the Remo clear Pinstripe with ambassador clear bottoms. Or black Remo pinstripes... Or put my set of coated G2's with the EC reso bottoms? Or keep the current set up and just play with my tension (I use a drumdial for a baseline then tune by ear)

Or should I switch to birch? A different degree bearing edge? There's a few sponsored drummers by Gretsch. So I'm sure it can be done with the right tom batter and reso combo.

2. A Passion Play ...

You can also try clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors.
    I am a Remo guy and that combo is my go to selection.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Registered User

If you want tone I'd suggest coated heads. A "go to" combination would be G2 coated over G1 clear, but I've heard that G1 coated on the Reso can produce good results. I'll be trying out UV1s on the batter with G1 coated or G1 clear on the reso.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

4. Registered User

Let me know how that goes please... Id be very interested in knowing if that would bring out a lot of tone.

I'm really just looking for a deep sound... Ive got a Maple Mapex 14x8 snare and it sounds awesome. But I also have the hi-carbon starclassic 20 strand snare wires to help make it snap. I only use Remo on my snares normally but at this point I'm willing to try anything. I put the coated g2 on my 16x16 and left the EC clear reso on and I got a pretty thunderous sound. Im hoping the 14x14 plays nice too. I saw a video of a white guy with a fro playing the exact kit I have (even the same color lol) and his floor toms sounded awesome. Actually everything sounded awesome and he used stock heads... So I guess I may ditch the drumdial and just start by finger tightening everything and take it a little turn each time. His demo was awesome but I had found it on a website selling them.. Couldnt find it on YouTube

5. Registered User

From what I've read, the UV1 heads are awesome and having a really wide tuning range. I'm playing big band jazz so want a brighter sound but also the potential to retune them for rock should the need arise. It'll be interesting to see what difference a clear vs coated on the reso side makes.

You can see what the Evans sponsored artists use on their website, the G2 coated/G1 clear is used by Jared from Drumeo, its a good all round combo. You could search to see what the "heavy hitters" use and then hear what their drums sounds like to give some ideas.
    http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvArti...ArtistId=40463
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

6. Registered User

I created a wonderful DEEP tom sound with EC2 resos and EC2 frosted batters. I have poplar shells (lacquer - no wrap).

7. Registered User

I wanted to try and get the Pearl Rock Roadshow kit as it has 1 up 2 down.. And a virgin bass drum. Its so hard to find kits that have a 16x16 and 18x16 ( 18 inches in diameter x 16 inches deep...) So a 16in and 18in tom with a 12in rack tom made from poplar wood sounds like a kit id love to have... Plus pearl makes so much additional stuff for their drums that there's probably a million ways to mount the 12 in, but I'd probably just go for a tom/cymbal holder. Ive got the 8 piece Meinl Dark Classic Custom cymbals which I think would look awesome on that Pearl kit.

Currently they are all surrounding my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit which is great, but my Gretsch looks like it should be in a jazz band or church lol... I'll have them set up tomorrow so I'll post pictures. But I love having 2 floor toms and while a 14 and 16 is great. I want that thunder sound only a 16in and 18in floor tom can give.