Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default new to recording

i am new to recording acoustic drums. i have been using electronic drums to record drum covers on YouTube but im looking to switch to acoustic drum recording due to constant breakdowns of the electronic equipment. i have a Pearl Vision drumset with Zildjian cymbals and i ordered this mic set and audio interface

mic set
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Digital...00000014108.gc

audio interface
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/...08368029228.gc

im not really looking for reviews on the equipment or better suggestions as im just breaking into this and this is what i can afford. how do i connect the equipment to a laptop? and what laptop is recommended to use, also what recording software?

as i said i am new to this since i have used my Alesis Crimson II electronic drumset in the past
    Pearl Vision Concord Fade fusion 10, 12, 14, toms 20 kick 14 snare. Paiste PST7 cymbals 16x2,18, crashes, 20 ride, 14 hi-hats

Pearl Decade Black Ice 10, 12, 16, toms 22 kick 14 snare Zildjian A Series cymbals 16,17,18,20 crashes, 21 Sweet Ride, 14 New Beat hi-hats

2. Registered User

This gear will work more than fine for in home recording. You should be able to connect your audio Interface through A Supplied usb cable (most Interfaces have 2.0USB)

For a laptop w/ minimum requirements
    8gb Ram
    500gb-1tb hardrive space
    Windows 10 or better (DO NOT go with mac computers because they cannot be upgraded past what they come with..)

DAW Software - choices
    Presonus Studio One v3 or v4
    Protools (if you got $700)
    Ableton Live

There's others but I only have experience with these Three... perhaps some of the other veteran users here could assist me in helping him out?

Random Question - What will you be using for Studio Monitors and Headphones to playback the recording to mix it?
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 09-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x16 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom
    Roland TD-25KV Electric Drum Set w/ Mesh Heads

Snares -
    1976 14x6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic LM402
    14x6.5 Pearl Reference Series Brass

3. Registered User

as of right now i dont have anything for studio monitors but i do have a Simmons DA50 drum amp which i doubt will be useful. ill probably use my MG-900 studio headphones i used on my covers. and run my GpPro from the laptop. at least until i can pay off the gear i purchased so far
    Pearl Vision Concord Fade fusion 10, 12, 14, toms 20 kick 14 snare. Paiste PST7 cymbals 16x2,18, crashes, 20 ride, 14 hi-hats

Pearl Decade Black Ice 10, 12, 16, toms 22 kick 14 snare Zildjian A Series cymbals 16,17,18,20 crashes, 21 Sweet Ride, 14 New Beat hi-hats

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by broken_sticks84 View Post
    as of right now i dont have anything for studio monitors but i do have a Simmons DA50 drum amp which i doubt will be useful. ill probably use my MG-900 studio headphones i used on my covers. and run my GpPro from the laptop. at least until i can pay off the gear i purchased so far
    A decent set of studio monitors will run you about as low as $100-400 depending on brand.. Yamaha,Presonus,JBL and KRK are a few good brands to look into you will at least want a 4" inch to 8" inch monitor pair (2)

best of luck buddy look forward to seeing your videos
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 09-01-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Drum sets -

Snares -

5. Registered User

ok hopefully in the near future ill be able to get a decent set of monitors. in the mean time just to get me going would this setup work?

also for a DAW i was thinking of Tracktion7 since it was free and i already have it downloaded on my other computer. what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Registered User

ok hopefully in the near future ill be able to get a decent set of monitors. in the mean time just to get me going would this setup work?

also for a DAW i was thinking of Tracktion7 since it was free and i already have it downloaded on my other computer. what do you think?
    I'm not familiar with that DAW so I can not speculate whether it is a good one or not.. If you know how to already use it an wanna save yourself a headache of learning a new DAW then use what you got an know how already
    Drum sets -

Snares -

7. Registered User

i just got this laptop to connect the audio interface to. i made sure it was the specifications you listed above
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...72.m2749.l2649
    -Windows 10
    -USB 2.0
    -8GB RAM
    -500GB hardrive space
    -also has a built in mic and headphone jack
    -WIFI capabilities
    im gonna try the Trackiton7 and see if its even a usable DAW for recording covers. did you see my drawing above? will that work? im still working at getting the monitors but i was hoping the studio headphones would be enough to at least get me started

8. Registered User

i just got this laptop to connect the audio interface to. i made sure it was the specifications you listed above
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...72.m2749.l2649
    -Windows 10
    -USB 2.0
    -8GB RAM
    -500GB hardrive space
    -also has a built in mic and headphone jack
    -WIFI capabilities
    i'm gonna try the Trackiton7 and see if its even a usable DAW for recording covers. did you see my drawing above? will that work? im still working at getting the monitors but i was hoping the studio headphones would be enough to at least get me started
    Very decent laptop for price you paid you couldn't touch a new pc at that price.. You can mix with headphones for now Just the monitors are more easier to mix and hear better for mistakes or tweaking recording. Yes I saw Your drawing looks like you're on your way to having a decent recording environment an setup

Here's everything I use on My acoustic drums recording setup although I can't use it anymore as now have Roland TD-25KV kit which I'm restricted to only playing cause my dog can't go deaf as she's a service animal for me..

Recording gear -
    Audio Interface - Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL 8 channel
    Monitors - M-Audio AV-40 8" Studio Monitors
    Power Conditioner - Furman MDX8 Digital Power Conditioner
    Headphones - Audio Technica ATH-MX50 Studio Headphones
    DAW Software - Presonus Studio One Version 0.3

Shure Mics-
    Overheads - x2 PG-81 Pencil Condensers
    Kick - PG-52
    Toms - x3 PG-56's
    Snare - SM-57 Cardioid Dynamic Mic

Mic Stands - DR Pro Series
    x2 Telescoping Boom Mic Stands
    x1 Low Rise Telescoping Kick Mic Stand
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 09-02-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    Drum sets -

Snares -

9. Registered User

ok now im confused as to how i will set this all up. at first my plan was to just mic the drums into the interface going into the computer using the DAW and and play YouTube drumless tracks coming out the headphone jack splitting off to the GoPro and my headphones but im not sure if that would work. do i have to have a track on the DAW for the music i play to?

as usual any advice to me would help as im a noob to all this

10. Registered User

ok now im confused as to how i will set this all up. at first my plan was to just mic the drums into the interface going into the computer using the DAW and and play YouTube drumless tracks coming out the headphone jack splitting off to the GoPro and my headphones but im not sure if that would work. do i have to have a track on the DAW for the music i play to?

as usual any advice to me would help as im a noob to all this
    There should be some videos on YouTube how to add a song track to your recording.. It’s a process you have to see that is very difficult to explain
    Drum sets -

Snares -

11. Registered User

well i have been messing with it all morning and i cant get any sound in my studio phones. i can see sound coming into the computer since the level indicator registers sound but no sound from the computer speakers or my phones

do i need the DAW in order to hear anything? i downloaded the settings panel from Tascam website which also included the drivers
    Last edited by broken_sticks84; 09-06-2019 at 10:13 AM.

12. Registered User

ok thanks to a buddy of mine who is actually an ex band mate he helped me get everything working just gotta get the song and recording on GoPro figured out
    im using Reaper