Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What will be the most common internet comment related to their new album?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • It took that long for this?

7 53.85%
  • These guys are way past their prime

0 0%
  • They lost their touch

1 7.69%
  • Other: please post

5 38.46%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

I love it. It sounds like the logical continuation of their sound. Some of the songs are a bit long winded, and this is coming from somone that loves the mars volta. I can't stop listening to it. I keep discovering new things. One thing I really dislike is the end of culling voices. It sounds like they just gave up. Apart from that, love it. In a weird way it reminds me of Utopia by Björk. Insanely good production.

2. Registered User

The album was decent. The Tool elements are still there like the ever changing time signature and the simple but great sounding riffs. Not worth the 13 years of waiting though.

3. The Hardware Guy

I gave it another (full) listen on my flight home today, and I think, to me, it's bit of a throwaway album. It's not bad per say, but it just doesn't grab me. I doubt it'll be much of a repeat-listener...

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. Registered User

You guys are nuts haha. Go put it on really loud on speakers or headphones. Turn your phones off and just sit there and listen to it in one go. It flows amazingly and every member is amazing.

5. The Hardware Guy

Or people might have a different opinion or taste to you... To me, it's boring and unimaginative. It doesn't grab or hold my attention. To you, it's amazing. I'm sure there's stuff I listen to that you'd rather watch paint dry. Such is the wondrousness of choice, variety and free will.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. Registered User

I'm with Keaton.

7. Miles Gibbons

I found the album quite meandering. There's no "Stinkfist," "Aenima," or "The Grudge," or "Parabola" on this album. Every Tool album has had a few songs like those, that just smash their way out of the speakers and grab your ears and brain instantly. They make the slow burners more effective. This album is all slow burners, and the songs sort of lose their impact because of that in my opinion. I've always loved Tool's longer, more introspective tune, I just think this record could benefit from some more contrast... I think "Mockingbeat" was my favourite moment, because it was the freshest and less familiar sounding moment.

Not sure how I feel about the production yet. I like how natural the album sounds, but I also think the synths and electronic percussion stick out in a funny way. I could use some more cymbals, too! I loved how the cymbals sounded on Aenima and Lateralus.

8. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Or people might have a different opinion or taste to you... To me, it's boring and unimaginative. It doesn't grab or hold my attention. To you, it's amazing. I'm sure there's stuff I listen to that you'd rather watch paint dry. Such is the wondrousness of choice, variety and free will.
    All of this.

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I've been listening to this almost once a day since it came out and I've come to the conclusion that I am right and you are wrong

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    I've been listening to this almost once a day since it came out and I've come to the conclusion that I am right and you are wrong
    I’d like to say I’ve listened to it “almost once a day” and dog knows I’ve tried but... holy ****balls is it sleep-inducing!
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

So listen before hitting the sack! Win-win!!!

12. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’d like to say I’ve listened to it “almost once a day” and dog knows I’ve tried but... holy ****balls is it sleep-inducing!
    Invincible grew on me because of the cadence of the song....the rest of it is disposable imo...

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha