Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What will be the most common internet comment related to their new album?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • It took that long for this?

7 53.85%
  • These guys are way past their prime

0 0%
  • They lost their touch

1 7.69%
  • Other: please post

5 38.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

What’s crazy to me is their first album sounded like it was marketed like a grunge band. If I remember right, I don’t remember it having the progressive element they seem known for. having

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    What’s crazy to me is their first album sounded like it was marketed like a grunge band. If I remember right, I don’t remember it having the progressive element they seem known for. having
    Are you referring to Opiate or Undertow?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Are you referring to Opiate or Undertow?
    Undertow. I’m sorry. Is it like Nevermind wasn’t actually Nirvana’s first record, it’s the same with Tool?
    Last edited by dale w miller; 09-01-2019 at 03:06 PM.

4. The Hardware Guy

I gave it an almost full listen (c'mon, it's an hour and a half long!) and it seems the same as pretty much all the other Tool albums to me. If you'd told me it was a brand new album I'd have believed you. If you told me it was released ten years ago, I'd have believed you too. Not saying I don't like it, but equally not saying I'm bat-sh_t crazy over it too. It's, well, Tool...

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Registered User

I agree with Dylan. Drums are too tribal. Not a bad album, but not the magnum opus some of my friends who are Tool fans had hyped/hoped it to be.

6. Registered User

To add to the string of tribal comments, I had a similar thought to the point where I could have sworn I heard something extremely similar on 10,000 Days. Not just that there are tribal drums, but the same accent patterns. I need to listen to it a few more times to really get a solid opinion of the album as a whole, but it feels like songs were made long for the sake of being long. Sections from the first two tracks (those are the two that have stuck with me thus far) sound good, but I definitely feel like there's some filler in each song.

7. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by drumfreek005 View Post
    To add to the string of tribal comments, I had a similar thought to the point where I could have sworn I heard something extremely similar on 10,000 Days. Not just that there are tribal drums, but the same accent patterns. I need to listen to it a few more times to really get a solid opinion of the album as a whole, but it feels like songs were made long for the sake of being long. Sections from the first two tracks (those are the two that have stuck with me thus far) sound good, but I definitely feel like there's some filler in each song.

exactly.to me it's at best a rearranged 10k days.it's not bad by any means, but it feels like a 10k days continuum....
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

8. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    exactly.to me it's at best a rearranged 10k days.it's not bad by any means, but it feels like a 10k days continuum....
    20,000 Days?

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

9. Registered User

Not the biggest Tool fan, but just listened to the full album. Sounds great and I’m sure die hard Tool fans will love it.

10. Professional Amateur

I've listened to it a few times through now. I like it, but I don't love it.

Lateralus is likely always going to be my favorite Tool album, but that could be nostalgia for when it came out as much as anything for me.

It will end up in my "occasionally listen" bin, so to speak.

That said, I do suspect a lot of people are going to be in the "we waited this long for this!?" camp. Especially the fringe fans who "like" Tool, but aren't hardcore about it.

11. Registered User

For me the first few listens were so-so, but I was listening to it at work while doing work (go figure!) . Over the weekend, I got a window of solitude and was able to listen to it at home, alone, on a good system (much better that cheap computer speakers) without distraction and it was a completely different experience. It's one of those records that will grow on you and have great staying power (much like Empath from Devin Townsend was for me - at first I was lukewarm about it, now I totally love it) Seeing as it could very well be their swansong (unless they put out another record in 2-3 years) arecord that will stand the test of time isn't a bad thing.

12. Registered User

I really like the new album, actually. I definitely enjoy it more than 10,000 days(minus Vicarious). I think so much of the dislike and hate for the album is by people expecting/wanting more songs like Vicarious, Schism, and forty-six and two. I admit, I would love some more uptempo-anger, screaming from MJK but..it's not there. So, I'll just enjoy what Fear Inoculum is. I don't think it matches up to Aenima or Lateralus, but I do like it more than the others.

As a side note, I may be flying down to Salt Lake City, or Houston to catch them live(since their only stop in Canada(so far) is Toronto. I would prefer to wait until they come to Calgary/Edmonton(or even Vancouver), but I have a good friend that is impatient so..we might fly South to see them.

It's not for everyone but like I said, I enjoy it!

Keep drumming, my friends!