Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinas???? HELP

1. Registered User

Default Chinas???? HELP

Hey all,

Having a tough time finding the China I want. I canít stand the clank that most make. Looking more for that swooshy sizzle with quick decay. I like the Meinl that Lang uses and the stack that Luke Holland uses.

Maybe Iíd be better off with an EFX or stack but holding out hope that I can find this sound in a china.

Itís tough to get an accurate gauge based off recordings for the obvious reason of the mix making the sound I want, not so much the cymbal doing it.

Anyone have some good suggestions?

Thx!

2. Playing since 1976

Regardless of what brand/model people recommend, you need to get out there are try them for yourself. If you can't, then you need to buy from sources that accept returns without penalty. It took me a long time to find some China cymbals that I really like. Wuhans can be great, but you have to hear them in person. My favorites are Sabian 19" Paragon, and Zildjian 20" A Custom... but that's not what I expected to like as I searched and tested. Stacks are a whole other realm. Also vented crashes could be the sound you're looking for. If you have Amazon Prime, many cymbals on there are quick shipping and free returns.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Regardless of what brand/model people recommend, you need to get out there are try them for yourself. If you can't, then you need to buy from sources that accept returns without penalty. It took me a long time to find some China cymbals that I really like.
    I agree here, especially since you have a particular sound you are looking for.

I currently own two, but my favorite China I’ve ever owned, which unfortunately I lost in a house fire, was my Paiste 2002 18” Novo. I need to get one again. I just have a hard time justifying it when I rarely use them.

4. Pearl Masters Drummer

I love this china and had to have it. I use it quite a bit. Great feel, sound, and decay. So many great ones to choose from as the guys mentioned.
    https://sabian.com/en/cymbal/11416xe...n-mini-chinese

5. Registered User

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. There is hope they'll come a day as I'm once again smacking every china on display at various drum shops, that the chosen one will reveal itself.

6. Registered User

Track 12, I can't begin to tell you how much I've spent on cymbals over the years! What I liked 30 years ago may not be what I desire now! As the good advice from other forum members, get out to any good drum shop and start searching for that perfect cymbal, in this case, china's. Try them out with a kit as well! My current china set up consists of a 14" Zildjian Oriental China Trash and a 19" Sabian "traditional finish" Paragon China. And yes, I don't care if I use different brands! Not an endorser, and never will be! I go for the sound that pleases me! Good luck in your search and let us know what you come up with!

7. Away From The World

Paragon China is likely to be your end of the scale, but as others have said test out what you can find. I'd suggest Paiste Rude's are unlikely to fit!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

8. Registered User

The best China's I have found are Sabian AAX Extreme China's. I have a 15, 17, and 19". They are cutting, mildly bright and sound exactly like I think a China should sound like. Not gongy, easily open up, get in and get out type of sound. The size determines pitch and sustain in these, obviously. So if you like a darker sound, go with the 19, but expect a longer decay. The 17" is a nice middle ground. Nice cut and attack without being too ear piercingly bright. Nice decay without being too short of a note. The 15" is just a hair brighter than the 17 and gets out of the way pretty quickly. Not shrill sounding, but the brightest of the bunch.

9. J-Con

If I were you I'd try out the Zildjian K Custom Dry line. The trash crashes have that quick sound without being overly gong-like. Also, consider the 14" Trashformer. It's such an amazing cymbal and can be had for about $80 new if you look around on eBay.

10. Registered User

A lot of great suggestions and I researched them all. Thank you!

I played a Sabian 17” AA Holy China and I think it may be the one. It checked a lot of boxes for me: Not gongy, good sizzle, quick decay. Sounded nice on two separate occasions.

11. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    I played a Sabian 17” AA Holy China and I think it may be the one. It checked a lot of boxes for me: Not gongy, good sizzle, quick decay. Sounded nice on two separate occasions.
    Good choice. That's about the only china I like as well.

12. Registered User

Sabians holy China's are nice. Insanely loud, but they have that "China" sound I like to hear. The AAX Extremes I mentioned are similar, just with no holes, so the volume isn't as insane and they have a bit longer decay.