Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Seeking advice on brushes

Dear colleagues,

I'm starting with a country band soon that plays a lot of traditional country. So a lot of vocal tunes, train beats, two-steps and what-have-you. For some I want to use brushes but I'm not too keen on the sharp, bendy metal ones that leave my nice fresh, coated heads in a black mess. I have several nylon sets but somehow they miss the punch and volume. Is there anything out there that I'm not aware of that combines the advantages of the two? Tnx!

D./
    Pearl BLX piano black
    Pearl BLX natural birch
    Tama RM GCW
    Sonor Ascend natural beech
    Roland TD-30&TD-9
    D./

2. Registered User

I've found rods to be the perfect "train beat" tool. I haven't used brushes for that since the 1980s.

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

I use a few things depending on the song and situation, promark cool rods are nice, not as heavy as hot rods and not as light as brushes, so they often get used, and i've also used Vic Firth Steve Gadd brushes for a while, the tips of the wires are bent to prevent snagging which is great, and if I want a bit more weight, I have an old pair of well worn Flix nylon brushes which have a certain sound to them.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Registered User

Thanks. I've been playing rods in all sorts for over 20y as well, nice tools. They however do not 'sweep' very well ... .
    So, the question stands. Are there brushes available with the weight and punch of metal but mad from a non ferrous material?
    Pearl BLX piano black
    Pearl BLX natural birch
    Tama RM GCW
    Roland TD-30&TD-9
    D./

5. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer-64 View Post
    Dear colleagues,

I'm starting with a country band soon that plays a lot of traditional country. So a lot of vocal tunes, train beats, two-steps and what-have-you. For some I want to use brushes but I'm not too keen on the sharp, bendy metal ones that leave my nice fresh, coated heads in a black mess. I have several nylon sets but somehow they miss the punch and volume. Is there anything out there that I'm not aware of that combines the advantages of the two? Tnx!

D./
    There are no good replacements for a metal brush. Nylon brushes sound like crap. Pro-Mark Broomsticks are great for super low volume stick style playing, but nothing sweeps like a regular brush.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'd advise worrying less about how your heads look. The sound and feel are the important things. If it's that important for your snare drum to look "unplayed," then just buy a second head that you only use for the country gigs.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    There are no good replacements for a metal brush. Nylon brushes sound like crap. Pro-Mark Broomsticks are great for super low volume stick style playing, but nothing sweeps like a regular brush.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'd advise worrying less about how your heads look. The sound and feel are the important things. If it's that important for your snare drum to look "unplayed," then just buy a second head that you only use for the country gigs.
    I'm not after "unplayed" look of my heads but, and you might have noticed this yourself, the accelerated wear on the coating and the goo buildup changes the sound quite dramatically which is undesirable for the majority of the repertoire.
    Pearl BLX piano black
    Pearl BLX natural birch
    Tama RM GCW
    Roland TD-30&TD-9
    D./

7. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer-64 View Post
    I'm not after "unplayed" look of my heads but, and you might have noticed this yourself, the accelerated wear on the coating and the goo buildup changes the sound quite dramatically which is undesirable for the majority of the repertoire.
    I'd think you want a bit of that beat-up, worn-down, dust-beaten tone for traditional country!

8. Registered User

Spatulas.