Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Drum sales/service

Default New custom snare build

Thanks for checking out this thread! Over the next few months, I'll be documenting the build for my first custom snare drum. The owner of Lake Erie Woodworks, Armando Reyes, is a talented woodworker who's done lots of cool projects around our city, including custom cabinetry, furniture, and even bar tops. He's also a drummer, and he's been turning out some fantastic stave shells under the Lake Erie Drumworks banner. He got his hands on some nice looking birdseye maple for me, and here we are.
    This will be a 6"x13" (my preferred size) stave shell, with 45į inner and rounded outer bearing edges.
    Here's the shell in its raw state:
    Name:  rawshell1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  58.8 KB
    Name:  rawshell2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  57.0 KB
    The finish will resemble DW's "Natural to Candy Black Burst" with a gloss lacquer
    Name:  dw_cbb.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  86.9 KB
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

2. Drum sales/service

And I'm going with black hardware, which I think will look very sharp.
    Hardware will be as follows: Independent Drum Labs strainer, S-Hoops, Agile ball end tube lugs.
    Name:  inde_strainer.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  s_hoop.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  45.5 KB
    Name:  tube_lug.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  223.8 KB
    And here's a badge:
    Name:  LEDbadge.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  18.0 KB
    I'll update this thread as he makes progress, but the drum should be complete by this summer!
    Last edited by PercWorld; 04-24-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade

3. Registered User

I am looking forward to seeing your snare drum take shape! Gonna look great with the black hardware no doubt!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    Hardware will be as follows: Independent Drum Labs strainer, S-Hoops, Agile ball end tube lugs.
    Attachment 517666
    Attachment 517667
    Attachment 517668
    And here's a badge:
    I'll update this thread as he makes progress, but the drum should be complete by this summer!
    Nice-looking so far. After working with a maker of many stave shells, we learned that adding a little color to the wood, even if just a little honey or light brown, will help hide the stave seams better than merely applying finish over the raw wood. I bet this drum will look really nice when it's done!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Chomp, Chomp

Attachment 517666
    Attachment 517667
    Attachment 517668
    And here's a badge:
    I couldnít open your attachments, but Iím sure it will look sharp. D4L hooked me up with the guy who made stave shells for him in the past. He truly is a master. I chose Zebrawood and requested that the segments be matched so that little or no seam shows. I know many would argue that itís cool for the individual segments to stand out. Hereís a pic showing how he matched the grain and the other is the final shell with just a hand rubbed finish. Looking forward to seeing your finished drum. Cool project.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Drum sales/service

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Nice-looking so far. After working with a maker of many stave shells, we learned that adding a little color to the wood, even if just a little honey or light brown, will help hide the stave seams better than merely applying finish over the raw wood. I bet this drum will look really nice when it's done!
    That's a good tip. I'll make sure to mention that, but with his experience, I'd bet that he's already on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I couldn’t open your attachments, but I’m sure it will look sharp. D4L hooked me up with the guy who made stave shells for him in the past. He truly is a master. I chose Zebrawood and requested that the segments be matched so that little or no seam shows. I know many would argue that it’s cool for the individual segments to stand out. Here’s a pic showing how he matched the grain and the other is the final shell with just a hand rubbed finish. Looking forward to seeing your finished drum. Cool project.
    I updated the attachments in post #2; not sure why that didn't work the first time.
    Anyway, that zebrawood looks incredible, and I love the inlay! I'm with you in the "matching grain" crowd, and the guy building my drum got it as close as possible. There are slight inconsistencies, but the placement of the strainer and butt should make them less noticeable.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade

7. Playing since 1976

Anyway, that zebrawood looks incredible, and I love the inlay! I'm with you in the "matching grain" crowd, and the guy building my drum got it as close as possible. There are slight inconsistencies, but the placement of the strainer and butt should make them less noticeable.
    Maple is not that easy to hide the stave joints. I have ash, cherry, walnut, and zebrawood... and they all have beautiful grain, with inconspicuous joints.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Playing since 1976

Name:  inde_strainer.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  50.9 KB

I have another suggestion regarding the hardware. I would avoid that iNDE butt plate. The throw off is fine, but the butt has such an unusual hole pattern (for a butt plate) that you'd never be able to use another kind. I would get the iNDE UNIVERSAL BUTT PLATE... and drill it for a back up, in case you ever change your mind. You can use 2 holes spaced 1.1" - 2.8" apart! For example, you could drill it for a DW 3-position butt plate, Sonor Dual Glide, or Tama adjustable butt plate, and the iNDE Universal will fit that AND you'd still have the option of using the other kind.

Name:  IMG_20191121_132439.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  31.5 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Drum sales/service

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I have another suggestion regarding the hardware. I would avoid that iNDE butt plate. The throw off is fine, but the butt has such an unusual hole pattern (for a butt plate) that you'd never be able to use another kind. I would get the iNDE UNIVERSAL BUTT PLATE... and drill it for a back up, in case you ever change your mind. You can use 2 holes spaced 1.1" - 2.8" apart! For example, you could drill it for a DW 3-position butt plate, Sonor Dual Glide, or Tama adjustable butt plate, and the iNDE Universal will fit that AND you'd still have the option of using the other kind.
    That's definitely a point worth considering, and I did go back and forth on the two different butt plates they offer. One factor was the 13" shell size. The INDe adjustable butt plate is quite wide (obviously made for a 14" drum) and I didn't want any possibility of a gap where each end meets the shell due to the curvature- I hope that makes sense. Ultimately I went with the small vertical one because I just like the look and really don't see myself changing it out for another brand in the future. Once the drum is built, I'm going to leave it alone.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade

10. Registered User

3 words, segmented wood hoops. Expensive but you will not regret the purchase. They really fatten up the sound while simultaneously tamping some annoying overtones. Highly recommended for a snare like that. That shell is gorgeous, congrats.

11. Registered User

Looking forward to your build, the grain in that shell is going to pop! Going with black hardware is a great choice but, S-Hoops are powder coated which could pose a problem with chipping. I personally love S-Hoops, I find them to be the sweet spot between die cast and triple flange hoops.
    Good luck!

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumr386 View Post
    Looking forward to your build, the grain in that shell is going to pop! Going with black hardware is a great choice
    Good luck!
    I agree
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT