Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

I'd roll with SW if I was you, brother.

2. th droids yerlookn4

though actually looking and feeling and handling products are preferred .... the bulk of my purchases are made across the interwebs . i would love to have store environment near me that wasnt ripping me off, either out of greed , or stupidity, but that really isnt feasible these days
    ..my best advice ...look at something you like in store ,,,then go home , and get it from the internet for probably half the price

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    though actually looking and feeling and handling products are preferred .... the bulk of my purchases are made across the interwebs . i would love to have store environment near me that wasnt ripping me off, either out of greed , or stupidity, but that really isnt feasible these days
    ..my best advice ...look at something you like in store ,,,then go home , and get it from the internet for probably half the price
    As bad as GC sometimes is, they have always matched a lower price selling less somewhere else. I bought my Pearl Black Brass 14x5 Sensitone snare four years ago from GC. I found it online for $40 less and they matched the price. Sometimes they are alright. Guess it depends which one you go to.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What IS a “jazz beat”? I’d probably be that kid too, although I’d admit from the outset that I came up on Testament and Slayer not Coleman and Mingus.
    I bought Souls of Black when it very first came out. I bought Seasons in the Abyss not long after. Or maybe it was South of Heaven. Hard to remember that far back. That whole phase of my career as a fan is a blur of cassette tapes, posters, episodes of Headbanger's Ball, VHS, $1.00 buttons, and trying to figure out why any reasonable parent would deny their child a Pepsi.

Just one Pepsi.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Cox View Post
    I bought Souls of Black when it very first came out. I bought Seasons in the Abyss not long after. Or maybe it was South of Heaven. Hard to remember that far back. That whole phase of my career as a fan is a blur of cassette tapes, posters, episodes of Headbanger's Ball, VHS, $1.00 buttons, and trying to figure out why any reasonable parent would deny their child a Pepsi.

Just one Pepsi.
    Was that all you wanted?
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

GC is a place I go to pick up sticks, felt pad replacements, heads, etc. The one near me never has an experienced drummer in the drum section. It's always a teenage looking dude who could just as easily be selling Vizios at Best Buy.

I have found my go-to heavenly drum shop about 25 minutes from my house. Its the Boston Drum Center in Acton, MA. It's so amazing to actually have an intelligent discussion about a particular issue you're trying to resolve - and get feedback and advice that is HELPFUL! Plus, their prices are below GC and they carry a huge assortment of Gibraltar products - which for some reason, GC doesn't do.

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    GC is a place I go to pick up sticks, felt pad replacements, heads, etc. The one near me never has an experienced drummer in the drum section. It's always a teenage looking dude who could just as easily be selling Vizios at Best Buy.

I have found my go-to heavenly drum shop about 25 minutes from my house. Its the Boston Drum Center in Acton, MA. It's so amazing to actually have an intelligent discussion about a particular issue you're trying to resolve - and get feedback and advice that is HELPFUL! Plus, their prices are below GC and they carry a huge assortment of Gibraltar products - which for some reason, GC doesn't do.
    I recently had a nice experience with BDC... friendly, helpful, excellent product, excellent price.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Was that all you wanted?
    https://youtu.be/TE4Fvjhz2sE

9. Miles Gibbons

The biggest problem with Guitar Centre, from a verified source, is that staff turnover there is ridiculously fast, so they don't bother with investing into training their staff. Staff training goes a long way. I would have politely but firmly let that first guy know he was overstepping - I've been in similar situations, and I usually just say things like "hey, thanks for your input but I'm not looking for opinions, I'm looking for *specific thing.* Can you help ring me through\place my order\figure out the part I need?"

I was halfway through a couple paragraphs about the state of the retail industry, but I'm not going to bother; that is altogether another nut to crack. I'll say in short that whatever problems we're seeing in music retail are just symptomatic of the devaluation of the cultural and literal devaluation of music. It's easy to point the finger at the "big box" stores, but I don't think they are the root of the problem.

I do agree that we need to support our independent stores; there is a culture and communal hub in these spots that is hard to replicate in the big box format.

It's an interesting time for music retail. I've had to replace my bass drum beater twice in the last year, because the felt is wearing down so quickly... I think before this, I replaced a beater only twice over 18 years. I've gone through more beaters this year than sticks! But the truth is, people aren't buying drums, so these companies have to make money somehow.

10. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    I was halfway through a couple paragraphs about the state of the retail industry, but I'm not going to bother; that is altogether another nut to crack.
    Too bad, I'd have liked to get your insight on that.

11. Registered User

Shout out to the time that this happened to me...

Official GC Drum Rep: What do you think?
    Me: They don't really sound good, man. They actually sound pretty terrible.
    OFFICIAL GC DRUM REP: Yeah, that's probably my fault. I don't know how to tune drums and I don't feel like taking the time to figure it out.
    Me: ... Really?
    OFFICIAL BLOODY GC DRUM REP: Yeah. *shrugs*
    Me: ...
    ............... Have a nice day.

The drums in question, by the way? The Decade Maple kit. I own a set now and they sound incredible.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    The biggest problem with Guitar Centre, from a verified source, is that staff turnover there is ridiculously fast, so they don't bother with investing into training their staff. Staff training goes a long way. I would have politely but firmly let that first guy know he was overstepping - I've been in similar situations, and I usually just say things like "hey, thanks for your input but I'm not looking for opinions, I'm looking for *specific thing.* Can you help ring me through\place my order\figure out the part I need?"

I was halfway through a couple paragraphs about the state of the retail industry, but I'm not going to bother; that is altogether another nut to crack. I'll say in short that whatever problems we're seeing in music retail are just symptomatic of the devaluation of the cultural and literal devaluation of music. It's easy to point the finger at the "big box" stores, but I don't think they are the root of the problem.

I do agree that we need to support our independent stores; there is a culture and communal hub in these spots that is hard to replicate in the big box format.

It's an interesting time for music retail. I've had to replace my bass drum beater twice in the last year, because the felt is wearing down so quickly... I think before this, I replaced a beater only twice over 18 years. I've gone through more beaters this year than sticks! But the truth is, people aren't buying drums, so these companies have to make money somehow.
    Consumers don’t want to pay for service. As soon as the consumer is willing to pay more, you will see stores able to pay more, which will lead to better service. If people don’t like it, at least recognize why it exists.