Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default Pearl factory fitted Remo heads

    This is of no particular consequence - just somewhat geeky curiosity! ...

    If I go into a shop and buy a Remo coated white Ambassador head it is printed simply with " Ambassador - Coated" and I believe these use a clear(-ish) Mylar film under the white coating. But on my new Masters Maple Gum kit the batter heads are Remo branded Ambassador coated heads printed "Ambassador - Smooth White Coated". Which suggests a version of Remo's Smooth White Ambassador head (i.e. white Mylar film) which has had a coating applied.

    If that conclusion is correct then the head Pearl fit will probably sound subtly different from a standard Coated Ambassador - this assumption based on the fact that an uncoated Smooth White Ambassador sounds slightly different from an uncoated Clear Ambassador.

    Anyway, the bit I'm curious about is that the Remo site only lists "Ambassador Coated" and "Ambassador Smooth White Heads", NOT a "Ambassador Smooth White Coated". Q: i.e. this does not seem to be a standard production Remo head.

    Q: Are Pearl having these heads custom made and if so why wouldn't they just use a standard production Coated Ambassador?

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angus777 View Post
    This is of no particular consequence - just somewhat geeky curiosity! ...

    If I go into a shop and buy a Remo coated white Ambassador head it is printed simply with " Ambassador - Coated" and I believe these use a clear(-ish) Mylar film under the white coating. But on my new Masters Maple Gum kit the batter heads are Remo branded Ambassador coated heads printed "Ambassador - Smooth White Coated". Which suggests a version of Remo's Smooth White Ambassador head (i.e. white Mylar film) which has had a coating applied.

    If that conclusion is correct then the head Pearl fit will probably sound subtly different from a standard Coated Ambassador - this assumption based on the fact that an uncoated Smooth White Ambassador sounds slightly different from an uncoated Clear Ambassador.

    Anyway, the bit I'm curious about is that the Remo site only lists "Ambassador Coated" and "Ambassador Smooth White Heads", NOT a "Ambassador Smooth White Coated". Q: i.e. this does not seem to be a standard production Remo head.

    Q: Are Pearl having these heads custom made and if so why wouldn't they just use a standard production Coated Ambassador?
    It is on their website. https://remo.com/products/product/am...-smooth-white/

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    No - as per my post that's not a coated head. It's just a smooth white as the name says.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angus777 View Post
    No - as per my post that's not a coated head. It's just a smooth white as the name says.
    I just contacted Remo and they do not make a Smooth White Coated Head. The Smooth White Ambassador just has the clear(-ish) film on the head. The Pearl website states that your kit comes with Remo Coated Ambassadors for the batter heads

  5. Rim Shot Drummer

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia/ Washington DC
    Posts
    113

    Default

    doesnt a coated head have a coating and a smooth does not?
    Join Me ! I am a Pearl Customer

  6. J-Con

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    OP, that's kind of interesting actually. Usually a smooth drumhead just is the color film used with out any coating. Usually a coating will have a texture...

    Do you have a picture of the head labeled "smooth white coated"?

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDC View Post
    doesnt a coated head have a coating and a smooth does not?
    Yes, that is correct.

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    OP, that's kind of interesting actually. Usually a smooth drumhead just is the color film used with out any coating. Usually a coating will have a texture...

    Do you have a picture of the head labeled "smooth white coated"?
    That is exactly right. I would also like to see a photo of the head.

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    That is exactly right. I would also like to see a photo of the head.
    Here you go... like I said different description to a normal coated Ambassador.

    Name:  B993975A-6B78-4629-80E6-85E85D0AB8B8.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  34.1 KB

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angus777 View Post
    Here you go... like I said different description to a normal coated Ambassador.

    Name:  B993975A-6B78-4629-80E6-85E85D0AB8B8.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  34.1 KB
    If you go to the Remo website you can immediately chat with a person who can answer your question. I did it yesterday and they are very helpful.

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sherwood Forest. ENGLAND
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Have just taken a set of original Pearl/Remo Pinstripes off my WLX
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Pearl World Series 12,13,16,22 in Natural Matte Lacquer
    Pearl BLX 10,12,13,16,22 in Sequoia Red
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angus777 View Post
    Here you go... like I said different description to a normal coated Ambassador.

    Name:  B993975A-6B78-4629-80E6-85E85D0AB8B8.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  34.1 KB
    I contacted Remo and here is what they sent back;

    Yerby, Robert (Remo Inc. Support)
    Aug 16, 9:44 AM PDT


    Thanks for contacting us. Smooth White Coated heads are produced mainly for the Japanese Market. Pearl has been using this construction for many years as our OEM partner. We do offer them to the aftermarket with a special suffix. BA-0114-JP. They are not supported by our Marketing platforms. They are constructed with 10 mil Smooth White Film with our specialized coating process.

    Best Regards,
    Yerby, Robert - Product Support Specialist
    Remo Inc.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •