Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Damaged SPL bop

1. Registered User

Default Damaged SPL bop

I bought a damaged SPL kit yesterday. I just went to GC to look at bop kits. I felt a lump on the kick bearing edge so I took the head off and low and behold, a split seam. Originally $345, after some discussion I offered them a $100 bill. Walked out the door with it for $120 tax included. Now I just have to fix it! Wish me luck.

Note: this is my first ever non Pearl drum set. Hurt my feelings a bit. It will be a fun project and I'm just going to use it at my bass players house.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. Registered User

After 5 minutes with a wood chisel and a small tac hammer.

3. A Passion Play ...

Woah. Looks like someone stood on the kick. Sad to see damage
    like that on a drum. If it were me I would remove the wrap to
    expose the entire seam. Get some quality wood glue like tight bond
    or gorilla. Get a ton of glue in there and use clamps and tape. Might
    have to thin down the glue a bit. Clamp it tight but try not to squeeze
    too much of the glue out of the repair. Best of luck and post some
    pictures of your efforts.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Woah. Looks like someone stood on the kick. Sad to see damage like that on a drum. If it were me I would remove the wrap to expose the entire seam. Get some quality wood glue like tight bond or gorilla. Get a ton of glue in there and use clamps and tape. Might have to thin down the glue a bit. Clamp it tight but try not to squeeze too much of the glue out of the repair. Best of luck and post some pictures of your efforts.
    I've already have the seam almost flush again. I have to pick up some new wood glue as I forgot my other in my non heated garage, over this past winter. I have several C clamps but I'm going to look for a ratchet strap and some different wood clamps. I will definitely post more pics!

5. Registered User

Wow the fact your putting it back together yourself is awesome. Gonna re-wrap them? I wish you luck on your project!

6. Registered User

Done! Glued the seam. Dry. Sand. Pecan stain. Cut and sand " sand and stain seam holder together planks " glue, clamp & let dry. Reassemble and play.

7. Registered User

$120 for the kit. $40 for the Evans head. $3 for wood glue $ 3 for Pecan stain.

You can see in previous pics there are 2 seam planks. I only needed one but that would look silly so i put a dummy plank in there too!

8. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    $120 for the kit. $40 for the Evans head. $3 for wood glue $ 3 for Pecan stain. You can see in previous pics there are 2 seam planks. I only needed one but that would look silly so i put a dummy plank in there too!
    Neat! Instead of reinforcement rings you have reinforcement planks!

Looks good with that stain man!

9. Drumming Since 1943

Great job!
    Way Too Much Crap

10. A Passion Play ...

Sweet fix.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

11. Registered User

Excuse the mess that is my drum room/basement. L-R 10" vintage hats. Zilco top. Istanbul bottom. Vintage 12" Zildjian splash topped w/ 10" vintage splash. ( no name ) 16" Zildjian paper thin Platinum. 16" Zildjian CustomCrash as Ride/Crash. LP salsa cowbell. Taken from a real salsa cow. I've had fun playing this already. The cheap 13" snare sounds surprisingly great. As does the rest of the kit. New heads would make a world of difference but I plan on wearing these out first. It's going to work great as a practice rig!