Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. @joeyryandrums

Post Quick PSA that may save you money and unnecessary heart ache

INSURE your gear!

story time:
    I went to my band rehearsal, bringing my cymbal bag, loaded with cymbals, sticks, stands and other accessories. Luckily there's a kit there I can use.

I set my bag and stands down just outside of the rehearsal space door. I glance around, ensuring it was out of plain sight from the street, behind two parked cars before i head in. About 5-8 minutes pass before we head back out to start practice.. and LOW AND BEHOLD my gear is GONE !

I see a stand laying in the middle of the alley on the opposite side of the two cars, and I immediately grab it and jump in my car in hopes of catching up to the THIEF!

a block away, i find a piece of the 2nd stand, the top telescoping part, with the cymbal nut. but after about an hour, we give up searching and i file a police report.

The next day i cave in and file an Insurance Claim under my Renters insurance, which covers Personal Property. After providing photos and receipts of the items that were stolen, i was paid the difference of the deductible and depreciation, within the week. This enabled me to replace the majority of what was stolen.

We guess it was a dumpster diver collecting bottles from the bins when they saw my bag and stands just leaning up against the wall.

of course i was partially at fault for making such a careless mistake. But if anyone has questions on insurance, especially if you are in California, i'm a license agent happy to offer advise. But in general refer to your insurance agent/policy !

Wins and Lessons.
    peace

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

That sucks. I had all of my gear burned to the ground or heavily water damage from a house fire. Fortunately, I was in college and was covered under my dad’s home insurance.

3. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

That sucks. Good thing you had insurance to lessen the blow.

4. a.k.a. YtseJam

I'd hate to be the party pooper, but you left your stuff outside and were gone for more than 5 minutes? Seriously?

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    I'd hate to be the party pooper, but you left your stuff outside and were gone for more than 5 minutes? Seriously?
    Yeah- sorry to sound like the cop I am, but 5 minutes is an eTERNity.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

i am super precious with my gear. where ever it is i am within an arm reach. when we gig. i m the first one in and last one out. I have (obviously being a fellow PDFer lol) a truck load of pictures of my gear. it doesnt matter if i load one item at a time in the trailer. its locked and re openned eveytime.

AND.............I AM AN INSURANCE PROFESSIONAL.

All that to say that of course you have to take reasonable care but insurance covers sudden and accidental and will most of the time see you right!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

7. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by TVTjoey View Post
    We guess it was a dumpster diver collecting bottles from the bins when they saw my bag and stands just leaning up against the wall.

of course i was partially at fault for making such a careless mistake.
    Or a junkie needing next fix .. or just a thief in general

Actually you're 100% at fault .. you left items there for 5 minutes .. that's an eternity to a street rat .. it takes a split second to steal sh#t and run away

anyway good that you had insurance

8. The Hardware Guy

I gotta say, a better PSA to save you money and heartache is to not leave your gear unattended. By all means insure it, but I'd be on the side of not letting someone steal it in the first place.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

9. Registered User

It won't ever happen to him again!

10. life start at 125bpm

like my racing stuff (tools,gloves,boots, leathers,tires etcetcetc ) on track days ,i would never ever leave some of my bagged drum gear outside not under my direct sight.it's asking for stuff getting stolen. people are poorer in certain areas than others, you leave them a chance and they will jump on it.

now,i can't blame you because yuou checked around before leaving your bags unattended , and 5 minutes is like an eye blink.you probably haven't noticed at time, but someone was there and seen what you did. then hooking your stuff on the move was the easy part.

insurance is like something else,better have it and don't need it , than not having any and suddenly being in need of.....
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes