Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple MRX problem

Hiho boys and girls, JarmenKell here. It is my first post and I just came to say Hiho
    This forum is BIG source of info and I can't use it in stealth mode anymore.
    I recently bought a Masters Custom Extra and i'm planning to "refresh" it a little bit.
    I stripped it out and checked - overall condition is good. Screws are rusty, small pitting on chrome, some lack of clear coat on shells but... the biggest issue is bearing edge.
    I've seen a lot of bearing edges [mostly Tama] but it is the first time when I could see some strange [for me] type of connection between wood plies. It seems that some filler [or old glue] is missing and there are holes. It is not ply separation [it is in shells too but i can fix it]. Name:  1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  19.9 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  21.5 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  50.4 KB
    So I got questions:
    What kind of filler I should use to fill holes? Car filler, wood filler, glue + wood dust or something else? What do you suggest?
    Also I would like to repair spots with missing lacquer. What type of clear coat Pearl uses in MRX? Is this even possible to repair it in missing spots?

Thanks in advance

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

That's nothing to worry about, just superficial cosmetics. Just use some quality wood filler, sand lightly and rub on a thin amount of lacquer using a cotton rag.

As for missing lacquer on the exterior coat I presume... just touch up with clear nail polish.

3. A Passion Play ...

I have had great results from Dap plastic wood professional filler.
    As far as clear coat goes I use a brush on polyurethane. Put it on
    let it dry completely and buff it smooth. Best of luck and more
    and more pictures of your Emerald Mist Masters please.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Registered User

Thanks for the input.
    It's good to know that's not real damage.
    DAP gets good reviews but it's not available in my country. I'm going to look for something similar, solvent based. After whole treatment I will probably rub in wood oil inside the shell.
    Clear nail polish is really smart idea but polyurethane [and that's exactly the answer i was looking for] sounds more professional
    I will put more photos when it's all set together.

5. Registered User

Interested to see what you use & how you fix the lacquer on the shells. I have some damage that needs addressing at some point & am looking for ways to sort this
    The best of luck. looks a lovely kit
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Pearl World Series 12,13,16,22 in Natural Matte Lacquer
    Pearl BLX 10,12,13,16,22 in Sequoia Red
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Interested to see what you use & how you fix the lacquer on the shells. I have some damage that needs addressing at some point & am looking for ways to sort this
    The best of luck. looks a lovely kit
    Could you post your issue?
    It all depends on what kind of finish it is. For me is basically nothing more than green stain + clear coat.
    First I'm gonna try it with a bass hoop