Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Thanks (to both of you) - was what it was, I opened the door to salvage a relationship for the guy 20 years ago, he never walked through it....dude died a couple years ago, half my family was po'd at me because I didn't shed a tear and when asked could only state the world was better off....I had other role models - my grandfather was what a dad should have been and an uncle who fanned my love of music and encouraged me in every way possible...
    Good to hear you had some family male love. Were they from his side?

2. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Good to hear you had some family male love. Were they from his side?
    Nope both from my moms side....I could write a book....(and have been told I should)...but I'm not one to dwell on the past - life is meant to move forward, not linger behind moaning about what could have (or should have) been. I've built a pretty good life based on lessons learned, what to do, not to do, etc...all from examples external to how I grew up...so I have no complaints...

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

3. Drumming Since 1943

Nope both from my moms side....I could write a book....(and have been told I should)...but I'm not one to dwell on the past - life is meant to move forward, not linger behind moaning about what could have (or should have) been. I've built a pretty good life based on lessons learned, what to do, not to do, etc...all from examples external to how I grew up...so I have no complaints...
    Much respect to you Tim.

My life and personality have unfortunately been heavily influenced by a step father who didn’t like me very much and told me as much. I try not to dwell but it’s damned hard sometimes.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Much respect to you Tim.

My life and personality have unfortunately been heavily influenced by a step father who didn’t like me very much and told me as much. I try not to dwell but it’s damned hard sometimes.
    I'm sorry to hear about all this, from all of you, but I'm proud of you guys for pushing forward and not letting that stuff set the course for the rest of your lives.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

Iím actually surprised at how many here are only children like me.
    Now that you mention it... yeah... that's a good point. I stopped just now to think about it. Growing up, especially in the high school days, I had a group of about 10 friends and we were all super close. I'm the only one who was an only child out of the entire group. Out of all of my various cousins, only 1 is an only child, and interestingly enough, she's also my favorite cousin.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

6. Comrade Tim

Much respect to you Tim.

Yeah I learned to let it go a long time ago - wrote a letter, opened the door to salvaging a relationship, guy chose not to walk through it. At that point it became not my problem....And I feel ya - imagine being told the things you were told but by the guy that's supposed to be your actual father....daily....

Kit Pix

7. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about all this, from all of you, but I'm proud of you guys for pushing forward and not letting that stuff set the course for the rest of your lives.
    Thanks - I started setting my own course a long time ago...everything "bad" that has happened in life I just chalk up to it being a lesson, and learn, and move on...having almost bit it 14 years ago (or did bite it for 10 minutes) you realize pretty quick how short and fragile life is....

Kit Pix

8. Drumming Since 1943

Thanks - I started setting my own course a long time ago...everything "bad" that has happened in life I just chalk up to it being a lesson, and learn, and move on...having almost bit it 14 years ago (or did bite it for 10 minutes) you realize pretty quick how short and fragile life is....
    Uh... explain?
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Comrade Tim

Uh... explain?
    Lol - 2005 had a massive cardiac arrest....went to a class one evening woke up four days later in the icu....took paramedics 10 minutes to get to the building and I was pretty much gone for that time....lack of oxygen to the brain does that.... :-P took 3 hits with the AED to get the ticker working again....now I have an ICD implanted in my chest and here I am.... :P

Kit Pix

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Lol - 2005 had a massive cardiac arrest....went to a class one evening woke up four days later in the icu....took paramedics 10 minutes to get to the building and I was pretty much gone for that time....lack of oxygen to the brain does that.... :-P took 3 hits with the AED to get the ticker working again....now I have an ICD implanted in my chest and here I am.... :P
    What the.....? That’s insane. I’m surprised I didn’t know that. A few years ago a couple of people and I had to do CPR on a fellow aikido student who dropped face down on the mat during warmups. We used the AED when the cop got there. We lost him and I still beat myself up from time to time as I feel I could have done things a bit smoother.

11. Drumming Since 1943

What the.....? That’s insane. I’m surprised I didn’t know that. A few years ago a couple of people and I had to do CPR on a fellow aikido student who dropped face down on the mat during warmups. We used the AED when the cop got there. We lost him and I still beat myself up from time to time as I feel I could have done things a bit smoother.
    You did what you could in that moment dude.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Comrade Tim

I could have sworn I've told that story before....but yeah - for whatever reason there were no AED's in the building and one instructor knew CPR but wasn't doing it properly....not his fault and had he not attempted the three zaps probably wouldn't have brought me back....I was extremely fortunate....my entire outlook on life changed and as a result my entire life changed...

Kit Pix