Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    You did what you could in that moment dude.
    ^ This....

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

2. Registered User

Did you only children long for a sibling at times growing up? Imagine having a best friend brother? Now imagine having 9 siblings. I'm the youngest of ten. I still wanted a little brother or my real fantasy was a twin! .

I've been through stuff with every member and don't care to mention any of it. I've tried but every line I type I delete it. There's just been so much.

I seriously just deleted 3 paragraphs. What I do is try to take my life lessons and use them to support my kids.

For instance : I don't even like sports ( except hockey )

I played basket ball in grade school. My dad & only my dad went to ONE game.

I played football in high school not only did zero family go zero times but I couldn't even get a ride home from practice.

I was to embarrassed and shy to ask other parents for a ride home so after 8 hours of school and 2 and a half hours of practice I walked 2 miles home.

So when my kids wanted to do sports I said if you play you have to give it your all, keep track of your gear and you can't quit. If you don't like it don't play next season. But I'll will be there for every game and take you to and from every practice.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Did you only children long for a sibling at times growing up? Imagine having a best friend brother? Now imagine having 9 siblings. I'm the youngest of ten. I still wanted a little brother or my real fantasy was a twin! .

I've been through stuff with every member and don't care to mention any of it. I've tried but every line I type I delete it. There's just been so much.

I seriously just deleted 3 paragraphs. What I do is try to take my life lessons and use them to support my kids.

For instance : I don't even like sports ( except hockey )

I played basket ball in grade school. My dad & only my dad went to ONE game.

I played football in high school not only did zero family go zero times but I couldn't even get a ride home from practice.

I was to embarrassed and shy to ask other parents for a ride home so after 8 hours of school and 2 and a half hours of practice I walked 2 miles home.

So when my kids wanted to do sports I said if you play you have to give it your all, keep track of your gear and you can't quit. If you don't like it don't play next season. But I'll will be there for every game and take you to and from every practice.
    You're a good dad dude. Props to you.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    You're a good dad dude. Props to you.
    +2. That’s the real **** right there.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    +2. That’s the real **** right there.
    Thanks guys. I have much room for improvement.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Thanks guys. I have much room for improvement.
    Everyone does but you’re doing the unusual- trying hard to not pass on the mistakes of your parents to your kids. If only more people were more self-aware.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

1. Did you get support from a parent or guardian?
    Yes, my brother and I were both told at a young age that we had to choose an instrument to learn - we got to choose the instrument. They found me a good instructor and I took lessons from him for a number of years.

2. Did your siblings offer help or support?
    Not really.

3. Does/ did a spouse or significant other offer support / encouragement ?
    Yes, my now-wife has been more than tolerant of my drumming and I am very thankful for that!

4. Did you buy your first kit with your own money?
    No, I received a Pearl Export from my parents.

5. Do your neighbors complain about your drums?
    They may have when I got my first kit, but I think they have since come to tolerate it (my kit is still at my parents' as I have an apartment).

6. Do your band mates complain about you drumming? ( offer advice on how to play)
    No band so n/a.

7. Years you've been playing?
    19 on drum set, 22 total

8. Registered User

As an only child I definitely wanted a sibling when I was younger. I have a great relationship with my parents as an adult, but it definitely made life harder as a kid when something goes wrong and it's suddenly two against one and you don't have anyone on your side or to offer support.

It sounds corny, but my wife has three brothers and I find myself hoping that in time I'm able to consider them brothers.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    As an only child I definitely wanted a sibling when I was younger. I have a great relationship with my parents as an adult, but it definitely made life harder as a kid when something goes wrong and it's suddenly two against one and you don't have anyone on your side or to offer support.

It sounds corny, but my wife has three brothers and I find myself hoping that in time I'm able to consider them brothers.
    I never pined for siblings. My parents were acrimoniously divorced early in my life and i learned early on to reject the traditional idea of “family”. As time has moved on, I find my decision to be sound.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Away From The World

Good questions OP...

I don't recall musical pursuits being encouraged by my parents, no one in my family played an instrument. As a kid I would tap away to music but nothing came of it. At high school (boarding school) I would entertain others with precisely played air drums, knowing every tom and cymbal strike of popular music on the radio. Yet the school had no music program, the "music" class was basically like watching music videos and talking about them, crazy. It wasn't until I left school and at 17 had my first chance to play on a drum kit, and I never looked back.

No, I have two younger siblings who I had less frequent interaction with from high school onward. To this day I'm still the only one in the family who plays an instrument, which is partially why I get joy from my daughter playing piano.

3. Does a spouse or significant other offer support / encouragement?

My wife is very gracious and encouraging. I've spent too much on gear over the years, though never compromising the needs of the family. I've also had moments of madness talking about selling it all, and she thinks and talks more sensibly. I'm sure the fact I don't have a sports car or boat or other such toys helps the cause.

Yes, my first drums were actually a pair of conga. My first kit was a 6 pce Remo Encore in Wine Red.

With my first kit in a basement, yes. I also recall once intentionally playing while a politician was campaigning down the street, his megaphone soon turned my way as he suggested I was trying to drown him out. How astute that man was! Nowadays I have an insulated drum room so no complaints, at least from those outside the house.

6. Do your band mates complain about you drumming? (offer advice on how to play)

No complaints, maybe a request or suggestion but I'm thankful to jam with like-minded players. Though I do like constructive criticism.

Started in 1988 but I haven't played consistently through all the years since. Should be a better player than I am, but I have fun and I'm currently enjoying being tutored by Todd Sucherman!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

11. Registered User

So very much. They got mad when I *didn't* practice and were taking me to open-mic nights when I was eleven.

Just as much as my parents did and still do.

3. Does/ did a spouse or significant other offer support / encouragement ?
    Only one girlfriend didn't really support me (it took focus away from her... we didn't last very long). Every other one (especially my current lady) have always been incredibly supportive and have always acted as roadies whenever they came to shows.

No, it was a Christmas gift.

No, I only practice on a pad in the house.

6. Do your band mates complain about you drumming? (offer advice on how to play)
    Not for years. My late bass player always had something to say (he was an ornery old sod and I truly miss him deeply), but he just knew I could be better, and he was right. My guitarist is my hype-man, but we still disagree on how my drums should sound.

Twenty two this December.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.