Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Tuning with Optimounts

Have just received my new Masters kit (Maple Gum) ... my first kit with Optimounts (Aluminium).

My normal approach to tuning relies a lot on the feel/resistance of the tuning rod.... yes I know the purists will argue (correctly) that turning by ear is more reliable but to be honest I have always struggled as the overtones can make it hard to hear relative pitch relationships. Conversely with a smooth lug I can get pretty close tuning by feel.

So the problem I am having with my new kit is that on any given head, at the lugs where the Optimount is attached there is a LOT more resistance in the tension rod presumably caused by friction against the rubber grommet/washer that holds the Optimount on the lug? This throws out my traditional tuning approach. I struggled a lot last night just getting one tom in tune.

Is this pretty normal with the Optimount? Is there any way to lessen that feeling of resistance in those lugs or is this just a "feature" of the Optimount I'll just have to live with and get used to?

Thanks!

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Angus777 View Post
    Have just received my new Masters kit (Maple Gum) ... my first kit with Optimounts (Aluminium).

My normal approach to tuning relies a lot on the feel/resistance of the tuning rod.... yes I know the purists will argue (correctly) that turning by ear is more reliable but to be honest I have always struggled as the overtones can make it hard to hear relative pitch relationships. Conversely with a smooth lug I can get pretty close tuning by feel.

So the problem I am having with my new kit is that on any given head, at the lugs where the Optimount is attached there is a LOT more resistance in the tension rod presumably caused by friction against the rubber grommet/washer that holds the Optimount on the lug? This throws out my traditional tuning approach. I struggled a lot last night just getting one tom in tune.

Is this pretty normal with the Optimount? Is there any way to lessen that feeling of resistance in those lugs or is this just a "feature" of the Optimount I'll just have to live with and get used to?

Thanks!
    Get a Tunebot. Problem solved. The technology is there.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Registered User

I use iDrumtume for iPad :-)
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

4. A Passion Play ...

Post a picture of your OptiMounts on your toms.
    On my toms the grommets are touching the bottom
    of the hoops instead of squeezing the lugs. This
    helps me a great deal in tuning.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I use iDrumtume for iPad :-)
    I used that before getting my Tunebot. I found that it worked fine for determining the fundamental note, but was cumbersome when tuning individual lugs to each other. I basically bought the Tunebot for the hoop clamp. Also, the Tunebot will work on bass drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Post a picture of your OptiMounts on your toms.
    On my toms the grommets are touching the bottom
    of the hoops instead of squeezing the lugs. This
    helps me a great deal in tuning.
    I use Gene Akamoto’s floating method as well.
    To the OP: the floating method involves expanding your optis so that the top hoop of the drum rests on the rubber grommet. The lower grommet should just touch or be slightly below the bottom lug. This way, the drum is sitting on the top hoop, which takes the pressure off the shell when the lugs are sandwiched.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Angus777 View Post

Thanks!
    Yes, this is one of the drawbacks of the design of the Optimount system.

One thing that helps me is loosening the two hex nuts on either side of the body of the mount (that are used to adjust the depth of the mount) and then tuning the drum. This takes some pressure off of the lugs. After the drum is tuned and placed on the tom holder, then retighten the hex nuts.

MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

7. Registered User

I also use a TuneBot with my Aluminium Optimounts for the very same reason.
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Pearl World Series 12,13,16,22 in Natural Matte Lacquer
    Pearl BLX 10,12,13,16,22 in Sequoia Red
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.