Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    That said, and not to hijack this thread, Pearl has used DrumArt shells and does not put the DrumArt name on the badge... Of course, some folks put a "5.0" badge on their V6 mustang, but it doesn't go any faster
    There is a distinct difference here. When Pearl orders a shell from another maker, and assembles a drum, that's called out-sourcing. When someone not related to Pearl Corporation places a Pearl Drums badge on a shell that Pearl never intended, out-sourced, or authorized, that's called counterfeiting. They simply aren't the same.

I think the free-floaters look fine, and Oriollo makes fine shells... I have three Oriollo snare drums. Vukan is a great guy to work with, and a cutting-edge drum builder. I just don't agree with the OP's philosophy.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

2. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    There is a distinct difference here. When Pearl orders a shell from another maker, and assembles a drum, that's called out-sourcing. When someone not related to Pearl Corporation places a Pearl Drums badge on a shell that Pearl never intended, out-sourced, or authorized, that's called counterfeiting. They simply aren't the same.

I think the free-floaters look fine, and Oriollo makes fine shells... I have three Oriollo snare drums. Vukan is a great guy to work with, and a cutting-edge drum builder. I just don't agree with the OP's philosophy.
    I kind of feel the same. It'd be a different story if you had Vukan put his Oriollo badge on the drum... sort of like CoLab.

Like, say you found a Tama snare drum and put Pearl hardware on it. Would you consider that a Pearl snare now?

Anyway, OP, I absolutely love all the custom work you do! I love doing little mods to my drums as well. Even if it's just new hoops or stainless steel tension rods just to make it stand out from other drums of the same model. I always look forward to seeing your next project.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post

I don't agree with your philosophy either. I would never order some other company's badged shells and put Yamaha hardware on them.

I think Oriollo's stainless steel teardrop hardware looks much better. If I wanted an Oriollo branded snare drum, I would just buy the finished product and keep it that way.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 07-31-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Anyway, OP, I absolutely love all the custom work you do! I love doing little mods to my drums as well. Even if it's just new hoops or stainless steel tension rods just to make it stand out from other drums of the same model. I always look forward to seeing your next project.
    Thanks. Pearl Drums have always given me great satisfaction and quality service over the years.

I'm proud to play Pearl drums and would rather use as much of their hardware as possible. I just enjoy occasionally expanding my Pearl drums and snare collection with stuff that isn't available any other way.

I send photos of all my stuff to the guys at Pearl before I post it here and I haven't received anything but compliments.

5. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    No, I don't. But, I think you have a problem with it.

If you don't think it's a good idea, then don't do it for yourself.

I'm proud to play Pearl drums and certainly don't mind endorsing the brand. The badge helps.
    To borrow a saying from Thomas Jefferson, I have no problem with anything that doesn’t pick my pocket or break my leg. You are obviously going to stick with your viewpoint that affixing a Pearl badge to a drum shell does not IMPLY that the shell is made by or for Pearl.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    To borrow a saying from Thomas Jefferson, I have no problem with anything that doesn’t pick my pocket or break my leg. You are obviously going to stick with your viewpoint that affixing a Pearl badge to a drum shell does not IMPLY that the shell is made by or for Pearl.
    Yep. Thomas Jefferson was a smart guy.

7. Registered User

Not to get too thick in the weeds, but doesn't "Free Floater" refer more specifically to the system that Pearl utilizes to free the shell from the hardware and not necessarily the shell? From that perspective I think OP is representing his drums just fine, in the sense that they are not for sale and the badge is more representative of the concept rather than the particular

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    Not to get too thick in the weeds, but doesn't "Free Floater" refer more specifically to the system that Pearl utilizes to free the shell from the hardware and not necessarily the shell? From that perspective I think OP is representing his drums just fine, in the sense that they are not for sale and the badge is more representative of the concept rather than the particular
    Yes. Thanks.

I occasionally see Pearl Free Floating snare drums sold with custom shells and nobody disputes the brand of the drum because the trademark system is recognized with or without the original shell.

I recently took a couple of the original shells from these Free Floating drums and made a couple of standard Pearl snare drums out of them (using different Pearl hardware and badges). A couple of the same people here were complaining that those were not real Pearl drums either.

Unfortunately, I think there are some people who have an axe to grind with Pearl and like to troll around looking for things to complain about.

9. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Thanks. Pearl Drums have always given me great satisfaction and quality service over the years. I'm proud to play Pearl drums and would rather use as much of their hardware as possible. I just enjoy occasionally expanding my Pearl drums and snare collection with stuff that isn't available any other way. I send photos of all my stuff to the guys at Pearl before I post it here and I haven't received anything but compliments.
    Like I said, always enjoy seeing what you're up to... but I couldn't help but notice you gloss right over my question. Like, when you quoted me, you literally had to delete part of my comment in order to NOT answer my hypothetical. JS. :/

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Like I said, always enjoy seeing what you're up to... but I couldn't help but notice you gloss right over my question. Like, when you quoted me, you literally had to delete part of my comment in order to NOT answer my hypothetical. JS. :/
    Thanks again.

If I wanted to use a shell from another branded snare drum, I would remove the badge and it would no longer have that branding. I would put Pearl hardware on it along with a Pearl badge.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 08-06-2019 at 05:50 AM.

11. Registered User

The OP is still using a Pearl FF chassis, a significant component of each drum, so I personally believe that the OP is certainly entitled to stick with Pearl badges, especially since there is a precedent for swapping out FF shells as others have stated. Really neat, and unique collection of cast shells. Bet they sound killer.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented 12, 16, 22, 7x14
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst 10, 12, 16, 22, 6.5x14
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic) 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, 5x14
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) 13, 16, 24, 6.5x14
    Sonor Pro Lite 13, 16, 22

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    The OP is still using a Pearl FF chassis, a significant component of each drum, so I personally believe that the OP is certainly entitled to stick with Pearl badges, especially since there is a precedent for swapping out FF shells as others have stated. Really neat, and unique collection of cast shells. Bet they sound killer.
    Thanks.

Incidentally, when I purchased the FF chassis for these builds, they all had shells (from which I removed the Pearl badges that you see here). When I sold the original shells, nobody cared that they didn't have the Pearl badges on them. They sold almost immediately.