Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. HERTA so good!

Default Paiste Dark Energy Rides

I've been playing Sabian Artisan cymbals for several years now but have recently had an itch for a 22" Paiste Dark Energy Ride cymbal. I can't decide if I want to go with the Mark l or Mark ll. The Mark ll seems to be a bit more crashable and slightly dryer than the Mark l. I've been having trouble settling into an Artisan ride that I just can't live without. I've played them all from 20-22, light, medium, custom, and now an Elite ride. While the Elite ride sounds amazing, it's quite a bit dryer and not as articulate as I'd like which I am afraid will end with me selling it. Anybody got any feedback to share? Perhaps some that have played or owned them?

Thanks!
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. Registered User

I was also looking into a dark energy ride but decided to check out the signature traditional rides instead. much more washy and loose. it depends on the type of music you're supporting. i have a 22" medium light and it's great.
    [SIGPIC]

3. @joeyryandrums

Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    I was also looking into a dark energy ride but decided to check out the signature traditional rides instead. much more washy and loose. it depends on the type of music you're supporting. i have a 22" medium light and it's great.
    agreed.

i had a 22" Signature Dark Ride Mk 2 and i dont recall it being very crashable.. great stick tone, but the bell was a bit stiff/hollow sounding for my preference, and when crashed it had a fair bit of gongy-ness to it. a bit too "Medium" in weight to crash on nicely, i'd say.

the Traditionals are inherently lighter, which won't project as well.. but a medium-thin would be the best bet i think.
    OR try out the Masters Dark Ride, killer cymbal

4. Registered User

I think the Mk2s are a bit more lively and not as dry as the Mk1s. You can hear my Mk2 crashed at 1:00 in this video: https://youtu.be/JYoTCsVn93w

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
    I've been playing Sabian Artisan cymbals for several years now but have recently had an itch for a 22" Paiste Dark Energy Ride cymbal. I can't decide if I want to go with the Mark l or Mark ll. The Mark ll seems to be a bit more crashable and slightly dryer than the Mark l. I've been having trouble settling into an Artisan ride that I just can't live without. I've played them all from 20-22, light, medium, custom, and now an Elite ride. While the Elite ride sounds amazing, it's quite a bit dryer and not as articulate as I'd like which I am afraid will end with me selling it. Anybody got any feedback to share? Perhaps some that have played or owned them?

Thanks!
    The Mark II is definitely a great cymbal, but it is quite dry. It can get a nice wash going if you play it right, but I don’t think it is made to crash per se.

Quote Originally Posted by TVTjoey View Post
    agreed.

i had a 22" Signature Dark Ride Mk 2 and i dont recall it being very crashable.. great stick tone, but the bell was a bit stiff/hollow sounding for my preference, and when crashed it had a fair bit of gongy-ness to it. a bit too "Medium" in weight to crash on nicely, i'd say.

the Traditionals are inherently lighter, which won't project as well.. but a medium-thin would be the best bet i think.
    OR try out the Masters Dark Ride, killer cymbal
    Nice advice here. The Masters series is the next line I’m interested getting next. Great cymbals, but with all of the lines I have, it’s tough to justify buying them.

6. Registered User

I have owned and currently own a number of Paiste Dark Energy rides. I currently own a 21" DE MK2 ride, I have owned :
    2 x Mk2 20"
    1 x 22" Mk 2
    1 x 21 " Mk 1
    The Mk2 is far more versatile and has a wider volume threshold than the Mk 1. The Mk 1 is very dry compared to the Mk2.
    The Mk 2 has the perfect blend of stick definition and wash. My favourite size being the 21' model. I like the 21' far more than the 20'
    and 22" models.