Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. -_---_----_ _

Default Got My Hands on a Gretsch Renown '57

So a bit of a backstory (I'll keep it short).
    Early this year moved into the Cincinnati/Dayton area. A couple weeks ago I was on my way to try a new and local food joint when I passed a music shop that looked like a pawn shop. I felt compelled to go in, so I did. Sitting in the back of the shop floor was this near mint Gretsch Renown '57 in Music City Black. Had some dust from apparently sitting, but the shells and finish we're immaculate. Instantly asked for a price, gave me a very good price on it, and told them I'd be back and got cash.

The reason why they had it and at a very reasonable price... The original owner is somewhere down here in a hospital fighting cancer, and apparently isn't going to make it much longer. He opted to have his kids sell all of his music gear and this was one of the pieces he had. Whoever you are that had this kit, know that it's in good hands and will be taken care of. If I can find out who it is, I would love to meet him before he passes.

Now onto the specs:
    This is the standard "rock" configuration of 22x18 Kick, 10x8 Rack, 12x9 Rack, 16x16 Floor, and 14x6.5 Snare. Only thing I don't have is the matching Gibraltar throne. The kit still had the original heads that came on the kit, but I updated them, keeping the same models (I opted to put a coated Emad on the kick instead of clear, I like the looks better). G1 Coated on all the toms and snare, reso's are still stock. The kick port and porthole was done by original owner (but I'm not complaining).

It sounds as good as it looks, and has been my favorite kit to play. I don't see this ever leaving my collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Drum Heads are for pros.
    Heads are for the lazy.
    Skinz are for the cool catz.
    Plastic Covers are for those that know nothing about drums.

2. Registered User

Hell of a find! Love those Renown 57ís, they just look so cool.

3. Registered User

Welcome to the club! Love me some 57's.

4. A Passion Play ...

Great kit. Very classy set of drums. Respect.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. -_---_----_ _

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Welcome to the club! Love me some 57's.

Very impressive. I bet that's a ton of fun to play!
    Drum Heads are for pros.
    Heads are for the lazy.

6. Thwunk

Wow. Just wow. What a find!!
    HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14, Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14, Acrolite 5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattTheSasquatch View Post
    Very impressive. I bet that's a ton of fun to play!
    Thanks. I put the bop and regular kit together, along with a couple of 18" gong bases due to warranty issues. I also had one 14" floor cut down to make the 14 rack tom. These kits have a really good sounding snare. Too bad you didn't get the stool. It looks great with the kit. I recently made a cool head for the kit.

8. -_---_----_ _

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Thanks. I put the bop and regular kit together, along with a couple of 18" gong bases due to warranty issues. I also had one 14" floor cut down to make the 14 rack tom. These kits have a really good sounding snare. Too bad you didn't get the stool. It looks great with the kit. I recently made a cool head for the kit.

You really lucked out then and made an awesome kit! I have an idea for a front logo, but I either need to find an image of it which hasn't been good so far, or need someone with a high quality camera to take the actual picture.
    Drum Heads are for pros.
    Heads are for the lazy.

9. @joeyryandrums

Renowns are fantastic! awesome looking kits, those 57's . Sorry to hear about the original owner though. May a part of this drumming spirit live on through you and this kit!