Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. The Hardware Guy

Default So what should I do about my Custom Classic?

I own this wonderful Custom Classic. I bought it from Steve White 20 years ago last month, and it had plenty of play in my care, not to mention plenty of play in his. However, it's not in as minty fresh condition as it was all those yeas ago. Whilst I do care for my drums, I'm not afraid to use them, and Pearl's gold hardware ain't the strongest in the business - as a result (and a lot of rimshots) we've got plating peel/flake on the hoops, pitting on the lugs and other hardware, and most upsetting, sun-damage to the custom wrap (see pics below). I didn't realise at the time that even though my kit wasn't in strong direct light, I guess it was static enough that the light it did get has tinged the wrap and yellowed it.

Now, it's apart at the moment because there's a stripped thread in the strainer for one of the M4 mounting bolts. I've ordered up a helicoil kit to repair it (and if that doesn't work, I'll just tap it for an M5 bolt). It's the top mounting bolt (of three) so I stopped using it so as to not put un-necessary strain on the remaining two when the strainer is under tension. Yes I should have fixed it ages ago, but hey, life happens and things get put by the wayside.

I'm wondering, while it's apart (and I'm gonna take the rest off to give it a good clean, probably Carnauba wax the hardware, etc) I'm wondering if I should restore it from the ground up - new wrap, new hoops, possibly new lugs and strainer, etc. My quandary is if I do that, am I losing all of it's "soul"? Stripping the wrap off, especially, as that's the part of it that makes it unique (I've not seen another wrapped Custom Classic - this one was specified by Steve and build for him by Pearl as an artist request/one off).

Hmm....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

2. Registered User

I saw your post on this on Facebook in the Pearl Drums 4 Life group, but wasn't able to reply at the time. After some thinking, my thoughts/advice to you are this:

As far as "losing its soul" I do agree that all the parts of it make it unique for sure, but if it's at a point you cannot enjoy playing it any more, I would go ahead and upgrade it everywhere needed, unless you want to keep it as is purely as a collectors item. Nothing wrong with that at all if that is what you plan to do with it. But I get the impression you want to be able to play the drum.

The hardware is the easy Get new hardware: hoops, lugs, throwoff. As most all the Pearl hardware is interchangeable this should be fairly easy to find something that suits the drum's look and character. Keep all the old hardware, so if you ever wanted you could put all this back on.

As for the finish, that's a little bit harder. I wonder if this is glued all over the shell, or just at the seams with double sided tape. If it is with the tape, then you could most likely remove it without damage and save it the same as I mentioned about the hardware. That would give you the ability to restore it back to 100% original condition if you ever wanted to. If it is not taped and glued all over, I would almost say just leave it as it and replace the hardware. It can be removed, but it will take a very long time and a lot of patience, and may even damage the shell. And if I did get new wrap I would probably try to keep it as close to that design as possible.

That's just my opinion on it, hope it gives you some points to ponder on to help you arrive at the right decision. Good Luck!

3. The Hardware Guy

At this time, it doesn't get played. At some point I'll play it again, but with it's age and rarity, it'll never be a main snare again. So for the foreseeable future it's a keepsake - I suspect it means more to me than it does as a resale value. So on that point I don't want to rewrap it or replace the hardware. On the other hand, my like of things to be nice makes me want to restore it, much as someone would repaint a car and replace all the chrome trim.

I too have that worry about the wrap being glued. I just had the drum apart to clean all the hardware and give the shell a good wipe down. Over time the wrap has shrunk/pulled apart at the overlap - there's no exposed wood but you can see the tape residue where the wrap used to be. The holes in the wrap don't completely line up with the holes in the drum - you can see the wood beneath them. That doesn't mean the wrap isn't fixed all the way round - it's hard to tell if it's glued or periodically taped. Either way, with the correct amount of heat it should be feasible to remove the wrap without splintering the wood and pulling up the top layer. Of course, I could only find this out by trying - and in my experience of un and re-wrapping drums from back in the day I worked in the industry, once you start you can't change your mind and put it back! The heat will mishape and kill the wrap. But yes, I'd only rewrap it if I could find a perfect match to how it is. The current wrap has beautifully detailed, almost holographic, marine pearl. It'd be hard to just pick one off the internet and see if it matches, and it's a shame the local places I used to work/go to that did this are gone nowadays.
    Last edited by Thrush; 07-18-2019 at 10:30 AM.

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

4. Chomp, Chomp

I’m guessing that your wrap is glued. If your wrap is taped, you should be able to stick a business card between the shell and wrap.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

5. The Hardware Guy

Not necessarily. I've seen wraps taped the full way round with thin tape that holds tight without leaving gaps. Equally though, it could be adhesive. Only one way to find out for sure...

PICSPICS 2

6. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Not necessarily. I've seen wraps taped the full way round with thin tape that holds tight without leaving gaps. Equally though, it could be adhesive. Only one way to find out for sure...
    Pearl only tapes at the seam.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

7. The Hardware Guy

As standard, yes. But not everything is always standard.

PICSPICS 2

8. Thwunk

Wow, that's gorgeous. I have to say, it wouldn't even occur to me to rewrap this. Other hardware yes, but I'd leave that wrap on at all costs. But that's just me. Beautiful drum anyways, would love to see it when you've done it up (whatever you decide to do).
    HHX hats, K crashes, K & Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14, Acrolite 5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

9. A Passion Play ...

Sweet snare. Steve White is a great artist.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

10. The Hardware Guy

On the one hand, I think if I'm gonna refurb it I should go the whole caboodle - replace the wrap (but with matching WMP) and replace all the hardware with gold tube lugs, single flange hoops and claws. But on the other hand I feel that's doing a makeover rather than a refurb... Blast my indecisiveness...

And thanks for the compliments. It's a lovely drum (which is why I think it deserves better) and Steve is a great artist, a wonderful educator and a great person.

PICSPICS 2

11. Registered User

Personally I would keep it as it is and as used by Steve White. If you really have to you could just clean the wrap and get the lugs re-brass plated, I have done this with a custom classic and it only cost about £40 for the plating. In my opinion the CC is the best snare they ever made but should be played rather than looked at