Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Professional Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    How about used MCX’s? For my $, the best full-production line Pearl’s ever produced for the money.
    It'd be great if I found the right configuration. As it stands I've only seen one used MCX, the configuration and color were both off (I really don't want a brown kit), and they didn't look like they had been kept under the best conditions.

The used market is just not very good around me.

I've got one kit I'm following on Craigslist that's been reposted and lowered in price a few times -- it's a Mapex Saturn V Tour -- but it's only got one rack. I've been playing with just one rack for a long time so it'd be comfortable, but I'd really like to expand to 2-3, and finding add-ons for it at this point would be exceptionally difficult, as far as I can tell.

It's just sort of frustrating overall. New or used it feels like I'm compromising configuration (Masters, Starclassic), wood and/or finish (Starclassic, Sessions) or quality level (Armory, Decade Maple).

If I could get a Masters in a two-up, two-down configuration in my preferred finish, I'd probably spring for new in a heartbeat and quit beating around the bush.

The Armory ticks all the boxes otherwise, I'm just significantly worried about quality/QC level on them due to a few posts I've seen around Reddit and the internet at large.

I'm considering going new on a Saturn because it does tick pretty much all the boxes, but at over twice the price of the Armory -- and still within Mapex, which again, I've heard questionable things about their QC -- I'm hesitant.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by jester2937 View Post
    It'd be great if I found the right configuration. As it stands I've only seen one used MCX, the configuration and color were both off (I really don't want a brown kit), and they didn't look like they had been kept under the best conditions.

The used market is just not very good around me.

I've got one kit I'm following on Craigslist that's been reposted and lowered in price a few times -- it's a Mapex Saturn V Tour -- but it's only got one rack. I've been playing with just one rack for a long time so it'd be comfortable, but I'd really like to expand to 2-3, and finding add-ons for it at this point would be exceptionally difficult, as far as I can tell.

It's just sort of frustrating overall. New or used it feels like I'm compromising configuration (Masters, Starclassic), wood and/or finish (Starclassic, Sessions) or quality level (Armory, Decade Maple).

If I could get a Masters in a two-up, two-down configuration in my preferred finish, I'd probably spring for new in a heartbeat and quit beating around the bush.

The Armory ticks all the boxes otherwise, I'm just significantly worried about quality/QC level on them due to a few posts I've seen around Reddit and the internet at large.

I'm considering going new on a Saturn because it does tick pretty much all the boxes, but at over twice the price of the Armory -- and still within Mapex, which again, I've heard questionable things about their QC -- I'm hesitant.
    I know Western PA (went to school out there) and I know It’s remote but... have you thought of shipping? Or driving halfway? I look at CL listings all the time from pretty distant cities. If the deal is good enough, I’m willing to drive. One or two tanks of gas aren’t gonna break a great deal.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Professional Amateur

I know Western PA (went to school out there) and I know It’s remote but... have you thought of shipping? Or driving halfway? I look at CL listings all the time from pretty distant cities. If the deal is good enough, I’m willing to drive. One or two tanks of gas aren’t gonna break a great deal.
    That is a good point. I have recently started expanding my search a bit to this end. Still haven't found much but it's definitely something I've begun looking at.

As for shipping...ehhh. I'd be okay with driving, but shipping not so much. I've recently had to ship a few things of significant size/weight for family and knowing what that cost, I can only imagine paying to have a kit shipped would come in around $250+ with Fed Ex/UPS, and at that point you begin to question the negligible difference between shipping a used kit and buying a new kit.

4. Thwunk

Another vote for old Prestige Session Selects (or a set of Visions, the birch ones are great). They sound amazing and go for very little money. And in general, I'd keep an eye out for a used kit. There are so many constantly being sold, you'll be able to pick up something MUCH better at that price range...
    HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Classic Maple 8x14, Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14, Acrolite 5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute (plum lacquer)

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelling_Sheep View Post
    Another vote for old Prestige Session Selects (or a set of Visions, the birch ones are great). They sound amazing and go for very little money. And in general, I'd keep an eye out for a used kit. There are so many constantly being sold, you'll be able to pick up something MUCH better at that price range...
    +1

There is almost NO reason to buy a new drum kit these days.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Welcome back. You mentioned gigging so Id recommend getting a Tama Starclassic walnut/bubinga or the discontinued birch/bubinga. Many dealers are clearing out stock on the latter and great deals are to be had. Those cheaper kits you cited, with good heads and tuning, will sound just as good frankly. The return on your investment for the more expensive kits comes from the better hardware. The Starclassic hardware and fittings are far superior to almost all lower level lines. Repeated setups and tear downs will take their toll on inferior hardware IMO.

Be sure to check Reverb. Many dealers use Reverb these days and some have even abandoned eBay.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented 12, 16, 22, 7x14
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst 10, 12, 16, 22, 6.5x14
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic) 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, 5x14
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) 13, 16, 24, 6.5x14
    Sonor Pro Lite 13, 16, 22

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Welcome back. You mentioned gigging so I’d recommend getting a Tama Starclassic walnut/bubinga or the discontinued birch/bubinga. Many dealers are clearing out stock on the latter and great deals are to be had. Those cheaper kits you cited, with good heads and tuning, will sound just as good frankly. The return on your investment for the more expensive kits comes from the better hardware. The Starclassic hardware and fittings are far superior to almost all lower level lines. Repeated setups and tear downs will take their toll on inferior hardware IMO.

Be sure to check Reverb. Many dealers use Reverb these days and some have even abandoned eBay.
    Reverb is the go to marketplace these days. Well-run and a great selection.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Welcome back. You mentioned gigging so I’d recommend getting a Tama Starclassic walnut/bubinga or the discontinued birch/bubinga.
    Think you mean Walnut Birch
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

9. Registered User

+1

There is almost NO reason to buy a new drum kit these days.
    Agree there is almost no need, but there is certainly a desire or craving. I was looking at the reference then reference pure range for a while, thinking what I'd really like. Then saw the Sonor SQ1 which got my German juices flowing, but wasn't hooked on the limited finishes. Now I'm looking at the Prolite series and wondering how on earth I can afford a 3 up 2 down config.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

10. Professional Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    Agree there is almost no need, but there is certainly a desire or craving. I was looking at the reference then reference pure range for a while, thinking what I'd really like. Then saw the Sonor SQ1 which got my German juices flowing, but wasn't hooked on the limited finishes. Now I'm looking at the Prolite series and wondering how on earth I can afford a 3 up 2 down config.
    Not gonna lie, there's a touch of this in me too; there's a certain allure to buying exactly the setup you want in the finish you want and getting something that's yours.

There are also downsides though, as noted. Not limited to price, either.

11. Professional Amateur

Just as an update if anyone is interested, I discussed it at length with my wife and did a ton of reading and listening to reviews and samples and decided to go with a new Mapex Saturn V.

I hummed and hawed a lot thinking about buying used but she was a big proponent of buying new and getting exactly what I want rather than digging through used and hoping someone posted something that was merely close to my desired setup, finish, etc.; she reasoned that it's an investment in something that will last a lifetime if treated right, so I may as well go big or go home, so to speak.

Will post some pics when it comes in. I appreciate everyone's feedback. it certainly made me truly consider my options before deciding on a course. And believe me, I've spent the past few days sort of agonizing over the decision. I realize I sort of went against the majority of recommendations but I promise I only did so after a great deal of consideration and discussion with my better half!