Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Tuning a ported bass drum head

Hey guys! Iím recently a new owner of a pearl decade maple set. Iím very excited. However, Iíve never had a ported kick before. Iím finding that the lug at the port and directly across from it are more sharp sounding than at the other lugs. Is this normal? If so why? I found this interesting and look forward to some good advice! Thanks yíall!
    :o thatguylikespie :p

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by my sticks View Post
    Hey guys! I’m recently a new owner of a pearl decade maple set. I’m very excited. However, I’ve never had a ported kick before. I’m finding that the lug at the port and directly across from it are more sharp sounding than at the other lugs. Is this normal? If so why? I found this interesting and look forward to some good advice! Thanks y’all!
    It’s very normal for a lug and the one directly across from it to have the same pitch. If you haven’t already, I would loosen all the lugs and start again. Once a clear pitch is detected, you can tweak as necessary. If you don’t own one, you might want to consider a Tunebot. You can tune each lug to within 1/2 HZ of each other. That’s beyond what the human ear can detect.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Registered User

I have started again and both time I arrived at this conclusion. What’ve I could try finding my pitch at the problem lugs first then work my way to matching pitch?

4. A Passion Play ...

Take your time and you will get there.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Registered User

So here is what I did:
    First I brought everything back to finger tight. From there I began tuning with the lug across from the port hole to establish my initial tuning pitch. After bringing all lugs close to pitch I began to notice the lugs at and across from the port hole as well as the adjacent lugs sounded very “dead”. This made tuning difficult. However, I began to strike just off to the side of each lug and noticed the pitch sound much more clearly. From there I tuned as I normally would. After a pass or so the drum began to sing directly in front of each lug just as they did at the side.