Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Joeeyysh

Default Bass drum Tuning / Pedal settings to reduce Beater Rebound, dribble, flutter, etc.

Hello PDF fam!

recently moved from a 22" with 5" port, to a 20" bass drum, with no port.

and was just looking for tips and/or advise on how to keep a full yet controlled boom, while controling the rebound of the beater better. When i bury the beater, the beater will dribble from the rebound, which is tough to control .

So rather not reworking my technique, hoping to find either a tuning method or pedal setting that will help.

i have a Pearl 2000 single belt drive pedal.

the bass drum currently has a regular pillow inside, with the reso side tuned low, and the batter a bit higher, which seemed to help.

maybe i should just port the reso, and call it a day?
    thanks!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TVTjoey View Post
    Hello PDF fam!

recently moved from a 22" with 5" port, to a 20" bass drum, with no port.

and was just looking for tips and/or advise on how to keep a full yet controlled boom, while controling the rebound of the beater better. When i bury the beater, the beater will dribble from the rebound, which is tough to control .

So rather not reworking my technique, hoping to find either a tuning method or pedal setting that will help.

i have a Pearl 2000 single belt drive pedal.

the bass drum currently has a regular pillow inside, with the reso side tuned low, and the batter a bit higher, which seemed to help.

maybe i should just port the reso, and call it a day?
    thanks!
    Try a 3" felt strip across the top of the beater head about 3" below the collar of the head. Do the same but on the bottom of the reso head. Try the reso head alone first, to see if that does the trick, then try adding one on the batter side if the reso felt doesn't solve the problem alone. Learning to allow the beater to come off the head is a very valuable technique worth learning too. I like to bury the beater sometimes too, well a lot really hahaha. Good to see you posting here again, been awhile.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

3. Registered User

Are your toms mounted on the bass?

If not and you have the two larger holes from the tom arms, you can get some air pressure relief there. That’s what I did. I just found some rubber grommets on Amazon that fit the hole diameter so that it looked a little more presentable.

Last edited by Track12; 07-10-2019 at 08:05 AM.

4. Registered User

I feel that an unported bass drum really needs to be played without burying the beater. Easiest way to learn to not bury the beater is to tighten your spring tension until the beater naturally doesn’t rest on the head with your foot on the pedal. Tight spring tension will make playing harder, but when you get used to letting the beater rebound after each stroke you can start to loosen the spring tension.