Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. a.k.a. YtseJam

Cool This one time, my band opened for Dream Theater (video)

I know that bands like DT usually don't bring support, let alone use local bands, but long story short - DT wanted to do a summer festival tour with a shortened setlist, so the local promoter was asked to invent a festival especially for the occasion, and my band got approved. After some time it became known that they are in fact bringing yet another support band with them - Jason Richardson & Luke Holland.

After 6 months of very tight rehearsal schedule, the day finally came, we and the other local support bands did our soundcheck and of course DT's crew arrived 4 hour late and the first thing their manager did was to cancel all local support. Persuading him to let us play took some time, but eventually he agreed to cut our sets from 30 to 20 min, and we got to play.

There were the usual problems - we were all very nervous, the monitor sound was not what we had dialed in at soundcheck, the venue was not completely full (the show time printed on the tickets was wrong and many people didn't know when we were going to play), I had to share a drumset with the other bands (Luke Holland didn't share with us and had his drumset on stage the whole time taking space) but all in all I think we did great, given the circumstances. When we finished, the hall was almost full, judging from the amount of applause in the recording, haha.

We managed to organize a multi cam filming, recorded soundboard audio, and I spent 12 hours on Sunday editing the damn thing, so here's the result.

(continues below)

2. a.k.a. YtseJam

(continues below)

3. a.k.a. YtseJam

These are all unlisted, as our fearless leader is not completely happy with her performance (there are 2-3 flat notes) but I couldn't be happier, so I can't help it but to share with you guys.

So here it is - I played before Dream Theater who I used to love so much. The whole experience was a bit bitter sweet, because it was 20 years ago when we were such big DT fanboys and dreamed about playing on the same stage as them, and now everyone of us has wandered off in a different musical direction, but hey - better late than never.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Dude! You guys sounded amazing! And your playing is awesome. Cheers for persevering.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. The Hardware Guy

Sounded good to me - can definitely hear the early DT influence - specially the end of Semisextilis Video looks great too, kudos on the editing! Wish my band had video that looks and sounds as good as that back in the day! We have single-cam VHS with no sound-desk audio

Did you get a chance to say hi to Mangini or the other DT guys?

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. a.k.a. YtseJam

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, we prepared the Ytse Jam intro as a nod for the audience, and people liked it.

And no, I didn't meet them, but I didn't attempt to, as there was not enough time - we were far too busy packing stuff, loading our **** into our cars, taking care of merch, the soundboard recording, etc.

7. Pearl Corporation USA

Great job! DT should be happy to have you supporting them.

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post

These are all unlisted, as our fearless leader is not completely happy with her performance (there are 2-3 flat notes) but I couldn't be happier, so I can't help it but to share with you guys.

So here it is - I played before Dream Theater who I used to love so much. The whole experience was a bit bitter sweet, because it was 20 years ago when we were such big DT fanboys and dreamed about playing on the same stage as them, and now everyone of us has wandered off in a different musical direction, but hey - better late than never.
    Great playing! Thanks for sharing!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

Well done!! That is definitely a show to remember.

10. a.k.a. YtseJam

Thanks, friends!

11. Registered User

Wow!!!

12. Registered User

You sound incredible! Thanks for sharing the vids and the story!