Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default need advixe about selling my kit

I have a 7 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit that has pretty much brand new heads already on it and 5 G2 coated heads still in boxes that have never been touched. My current heads are Evans EC2 batters and EC reso's. The kick drum batter head is an Aquarian Super Kick 2. The snare has a Remo Reverse controlled dot batter and snare side it has tama starclassic hi-carbon snares (with Remo Gretsch clear snare bottom) it has a wonderful pop sound. The drums are 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x14, 22x18, and 14x5. The floor tom feet also have pearls air suspension rubber feet which gives the floor toms mkre resonance.

I'm also selling my Meinl HCS 6 piece cymbal set with this kit... 14in hi-hat, 16in crash, 18in crash, 20in ride, 16in China, 10in splash.

I priced it all at $1000, brand new heads, Tom mounts, all the cymbals, the Pearl air suspension rubber feet. The drum kit looks brand new. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Name:  20190707_121845(1).jpg
Views: 165
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  20190707_121859(1).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  20190707_122125(1).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  20190707_121949(1).jpg
Views: 160
Size:  74.6 KB

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    I have a 7 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit that has pretty much brand new heads already on it and 5 G2 coated heads still in boxes that have never been touched. My current heads are Evans EC2 batters and EC reso's. The kick drum batter head is an Aquarian Super Kick 2. The snare has a Remo Reverse controlled dot batter and snare side it has tama starclassic hi-carbon snares (with Remo Gretsch clear snare bottom) it has a wonderful pop sound. The drums are 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x14, 22x18, and 14x5. The floor tom feet also have pearls air suspension rubber feet which gives the floor toms mkre resonance.

I'm also selling my Meinl HCS 6 piece cymbal set with this kit... 14in hi-hat, 16in crash, 18in crash, 20in ride, 16in China, 10in splash.

I priced it all at $1000, brand new heads, Tom mounts, all the cymbals, the Pearl air suspension rubber feet. The drum kit looks brand new. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Name:  20190707_121845(1).jpg
Views: 165
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  20190707_121859(1).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  20190707_122125(1).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  20190707_121949(1).jpg
Views: 160
Size:  74.6 KB
    Things like heads and rubber feet add no value to a kit when you’re selling it. Most people will probably wind up changing the heads to their preferred manufacturer and type. The cymbals are bottom of the line and can be purchased new for $200. If you tried to sell them to guitar center, they would offer you $75. I haven’t checked prices on Catalina drums, but I’d guess you could buy them new for $800-$900. Basically, you’re asking new prices. I wish you luck, but I think $750 would be a more realistic starting point. You might do better if you sold the drums and cymbals separately. I think a lot of people will like the drums but would have no use for the those cymbals.
    Last edited by quicksticks; 07-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    I have a 7 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit that has pretty much brand new heads already on it and 5 G2 coated heads still in boxes that have never been touched. My current heads are Evans EC2 batters and EC reso's. The kick drum batter head is an Aquarian Super Kick 2. The snare has a Remo Reverse controlled dot batter and snare side it has tama starclassic hi-carbon snares (with Remo Gretsch clear snare bottom) it has a wonderful pop sound. The drums are 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x14, 22x18, and 14x5. The floor tom feet also have pearls air suspension rubber feet which gives the floor toms mkre resonance. I'm also selling my Meinl HCS 6 piece cymbal set with this kit... 14in hi-hat, 16in crash, 18in crash, 20in ride, 16in China, 10in splash. I priced it all at $1000, brand new heads, Tom mounts, all the cymbals, the Pearl air suspension rubber feet. The drum kit looks brand new. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated
    Personally, I'd never sell cymbals and drums together. Nobody wants the same drum set up as you and ALSO the same cymbals. You'll never see that... Also, I don't think the cymbals add value to your sale. Those are the kind of cymbals that most companies throw in for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Things like heads and rubber feet add no value to a kit when you’re selling it. Most people will probably wind up changing the heads to their preferred manufacturer and type. The cymbals are bottom of the line and can be purchased new for $200. If you tried to sell them to guitar center, they would offer you $75. I haven’t checked prices on Catalina drums, but I’d guess you could buy them new for $800-$900. Basically, you’re asking new prices. I wish you luck, but I think $750 would be a more realistic starting point. You might do better if you sold the drums and cymbals separately. I think a lot of people will like the drums but would have no use for the those cymbals.
    Quick sticks hit the nail on the head. Just because you paid a decent amount of money for new heads doesn't mean you'll ever get that back when you sell a kit. Heads are a personal choice and most (many) people prefer one brand over another.

You're asking the price of a brand new shell pack and tossing in junk to go along with it.

Sell the cymbals alone for $100, list the shell pack for $800 OBO and accept $700-750. I don't think it's out of this world to offer 20-25% less than new for a used kit. IMHO of course.

4. Playing since 1976

That kit with the snare goes for $1000 at Musician's Friend. When a 20% off coupon comes around, you can get it for $800. That Meinl set sells for around $299 new, and again... $240 when a coupon is available. A less-savvy shopper may bite, but anyone shopping around would expect to pay a little less than what you're asking. You could always leave it at that price, then knock a little off if/when you find an interested buyer. Many people love to feel they got an extra special deal. If there is no snare, I'd start at $850, and take as low as $750... just my take on the scenario.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    That kit with the snare goes for $1000 at Musician's Friend. When a 20% off coupon comes around, you can get it for $800. That Meinl set sells for around $299 new, and again... $240 when a coupon is available. A less-savvy shopper may bite, but anyone shopping around would expect to pay a little less than what you're asking. You could always leave it at that price, then knock a little off if/when you find an interested buyer. Many people love to feel they got an extra special deal. If there is no snare, I'd start at $850, and take as low as $750... just my take on the scenario.
    A really savvy shopper would also take advantage of the 8% cash back at MF. That kit can be had for $736 brand new and the cymbals for $221. That’s $957 for brand new drums and cymbals. DFL and I have done this many times.
    Casio has regular 20% off sales, but no cash back.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Registered User

I always keep the original heads unused whenever I buy a kit and swap out the heads I want for my use. This way, when I sell I can list the kit with new original heads and I use my preferred heads on my next kit. No need to lose money on heads when you change kits.

Otherwise I recommend selling the drums separate from the cymbals. Maybe $650 for the drums and $150 for the cymbals. Honestly I wouldn't buy the cymbals so whatever you can get for them, take it. The drums are decent, I used to have a Catalina Maple kit, but you are fighting against a lot of other people selling Stage Customs, Pearl Forums, hell even Mapex Saturn's for less than you are asking. So, again be realistic about what you want, take good photos (better than what you posted here) and accept anything that is reasonable.

7. Registered User

Sorry for taking so long to respond, also I want to thank EVERYONE for taking the time to read my post and offier me sound advice and give me information that I was unaware of and totally understand. Such as selling everything together.... New g2 voated heads, air suspension tom feet, cymbals ont necessarily add more value.

Quicksticks thank you for that, plus you made a very valid point that drummers won't want an exact set up like mine. I had a "duh" moment and knew you were correct as I have a very unique style.. If I have more drums I want more cymbals but on a 5 piece I may only have 3 or 4 cymbals.

Good news is someone messaged asking for just the cymbals and offered $250 which I thought was great. I definately didnt expect to get that amount but I did.. I'm keeping the drum heads for future use. I did post the kit for $750 but got an offer for another kit...

Ddrum diatribe birch kit.. It's a virgin bass with one rack tom and two floor toms and a snare (shell kit) but what I like is the wood... Ive owned basswood, popular, I current own two maples. But he has offered a trade. What I really like is the length of this kit and its only 5 pieces so I would set up as many cymbals. 13in tom (very deep but he only gave me diameter) 16in, 18in floor toms, 24in bass that looks 20in long, and a 14in snare. Looks like a nice kit.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-07-14-08-33-06.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  27.7 KB

I like the 18in floor tom idea. Plus ive heard a birch kit and they just sound powerful. I love the sound of a good drum head tuned well on a maple. But birch has its own sound too. I asked for time to think about it. Anyone have a thought on this?

@Tommy_D I do the same exact thing you do.. The Evans EC2 batters and EC Reso heads were actually purchased for my Mapex V Series restoration project. I had originally gotten 5 toms heads 8in,10in,12in,13in,16in. I had 4 rack toms and 1 floor tom and it bothered me. The kit was purchased as a 5 piece originally. Then a few days later he posted the 8in and 10in toms. Total for the kit I paid $190, $150 for the 5 piece and $40 for the two toms. I took the old wrap off, Sanded the heck out of it, filled dents and dings. also filled th tom mounts for the bass to make it a virgin bass again (thus why I had two double tom stands. It was cheaper than a rack. Anyways long story short I got the Gretsch set and had to buy a 14in ec2/ec reso (which sucked because they look slightly different. But when I sold the Mapex I had put the Gretsch stock heads on it and put the original head back on the 13in tom. Materials I spent $50... The wrap was from Amazon and it was self adhesive. It went for $450. In total i put $240.. Coca Cola and aluminum foil works wonders for that Mapex hardware that was on it.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-07-16-07-27(1)(1).jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-07-16-14-04(1)(1).jpg
Size:  42.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Registered User

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-07-16-13-53(1).jpg
Size:  109.8 KB

I was removing the old wrap

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-07-16-07-01(1).jpg
Size:  32.1 KB

This was the mount for the rack toms on the bass...

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-07-16-07-06(1).jpg
Size:  28.6 KB

After I filled the 1in diameter hole and the 4 screw holes. It came out super smooth. You can check the full build out in my profile. Now is the view from the drummer

Name:  Screenshot_2019-05-07-16-06-43(1).jpg
Size:  71.5 KB

The drums were wrapped using kitchen counter wrapping paper which is cheap yet durable. It was black wood grain and I could of done more drums with a single roll if I had measured better. I had also wrapped the Mapex snare in black faux leather. But I already brole rules by making a double post I believe... Lol but that was more difficult because the material needed glue on the wood (the drum shell I mean) and it needed lots of glue on the vinyl side. I ended up using a sponge like brush and just drenched each side. Cut off excess material, sanded top and bottom edges flat and recut the bearing edge. The hardware was a little more difficult putting back on but I figured it would happen because the vinyal faux leather is thicker than the original wrap. I also Jerry rigged some white air vents. Lol they were chrome but I wanted white but the chrome was much cheaper so I scuffed them up with a high grit and put 4 coatsbof white and 2 coats of clear and they came out smashing lol