Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Monitoring latency issue

Hey all,

Full Disclosure, I really have limited knowledge of this kind of thing, so I'm a bit lost on what to do.

Does anyone here use electronic drums to record? I have a Yamaha DTX-500 and all I want to do is record my drum parts to a scratch guitar track for demo purposes to speed up the writing process. I've been using Audacity, and am able to get the drum sounds on my computer. The problem that I'm having is that I get a significant latency (like, probably half a second) when I try to monitor the drums as I play them. Anyway around this? Adjusting for latency in Audacity doesn't seem to help, and most of the tutorials for latency I've seen are mainly for syncing everything up AFTER recording, not for monitoring purposes. How do other people do it? Does everyone else just "suck it up" and deal with not hearing themselves while recording? Am I being a giant baby about this?

For gear, I have a run of the mill Toshiba laptop and am going from the module on my kit to the microphone input on my computer. There isn't another input, so I use bluetooth headphones to hear the scratch and drums, using the newest version of Audacity. I'm open to trying another program and getting an actual interface is needed, but since this is mainly for demo purposes, I'd rather cheap out if I can.

Thanks!!

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by thandabolt View Post
    Hey all,

Full Disclosure, I really have limited knowledge of this kind of thing, so I'm a bit lost on what to do.

Does anyone here use electronic drums to record? I have a Yamaha DTX-500 and all I want to do is record my drum parts to a scratch guitar track for demo purposes to speed up the writing process. I've been using Audacity, and am able to get the drum sounds on my computer. The problem that I'm having is that I get a significant latency (like, probably half a second) when I try to monitor the drums as I play them. Anyway around this? Adjusting for latency in Audacity doesn't seem to help, and most of the tutorials for latency I've seen are mainly for syncing everything up AFTER recording, not for monitoring purposes. How do other people do it? Does everyone else just "suck it up" and deal with not hearing themselves while recording? Am I being a giant baby about this?

For gear, I have a run of the mill Toshiba laptop and am going from the module on my kit to the microphone input on my computer. There isn't another input, so I use bluetooth headphones to hear the scratch and drums, using the newest version of Audacity. I'm open to trying another program and getting an actual interface is needed, but since this is mainly for demo purposes, I'd rather cheap out if I can.

Thanks!!
    The problem is most likely your bluetooth headphones, as bluetooth naturally has latency, using wired headphones or IEMs will get around this, even if just cheap earbuds, avoid bluetooth for any monitoring stuff.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Good call on Bluetooth being the problem RD24, it is most likely the cause - I notice there is about a half second delay when playing from my iPad via a Bluetooth widget to the hifi.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare