Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Early '83 BLX? (#112)

Hello (vintage) Pearl lovers.
    I’m a drummer from The Netherlands and I’m in the lucky position to be doing just that, play drums.
    I recently acquired an early BLX(?!) kit in #112. It was a trade-in on an e-kit(!) at the drumshop of a friend of mine by it’s first/original owner. It’s a classic 5-piece 14x22, 8x12, 9x13, 16x16 and came with what I believe to be an M-514 period correct snare in near mint condition, also with a label attached on the inside. And a hardware package. Toms and bass have the paper quality control labels inside, stamps just a couple months apart. 1.6mm rims. Sofar everything seems to add up to an ’83 early BLX, however … . (I know this kit was bought new, as a whole in NL from a reputable drumshop and authorized Pearl dealer.)
    The accompanying hardware is from an earlier period. All the stands and pedals are from the ’79-’82 catalogs(?!) Both tom holders are geared TH-80T’s (or 800?), cymbal stands are 903’s & an 803BD, snare stand is an 806, HH stand is an 800, kick pedal is an 810S, FT-legs/feet are also the older style. Is this ‘common practice’ for those days? And what’s with the snare? The catalog lists a birch snare with these kits.
    It’s been on a mini festival tour with me in june and it sounds just great. Tunes up real nice and easy with clear Emps over clear Ambs.
    Any info is appreciated. I’ll add some eye candy. (snare still needs to be cleaned, already had similar/older ones)
    (Thanks to Drummer1977, BadAstronaut, 3pearlkits and others for their research and info.)
    D./
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Drummer-64; 07-03-2019 at 12:08 PM.

2. Registered User

Some more pics ...

3. Registered User

... last 4 Fotos.

D./

4. Pearl does it for me

Hey, welcome to the PDF and the vintage section in particular

Your kit looks to be in fantastic order, testament to the original owner.

So many odd things have happened when it comes to vintage Pearl kits, and what one sees vs what's in the catalogues.
    My own experience is the kit would most likely have been sold with a complete hardware package that was consistent eg all 800 series.
    That was certainly the case for me when I bought my 84 DX kit new.
    The only way to know if the hardware was part of the kit when purchased, would be to see the original sales docket.
    Similarly, the original owner may have had a preference for metal shelled snares, so got one instead of the birch shelled offering.

BA will chime in as well me thinks...

5. Pearl Corporation USA

from our 1983 catalog

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    from our 1983 catalog
    From that catalog my kit would be the BLX-22-05 config. But with the M-514 snare rather than the BLX-514.
    That catalog however shows all red label hardware. With the black nylon bushings. I have none of those. Mine are equipped with the older two-piece die-cast joints and/or the older 'pinch-tube' version with the white nylon bushing. Also tom arms are not the same. And I know this has been bought all together, as a complete kit by the first owner.
    D./

7. Registered User

Hardware does look to be older, check out this export catalogue from 1982 - those tomtom holders look the same?

http://catweb.tgtel.com/1982%20Expor...%20spreads.pdf

Not convinced that is a 514 snare, the 514 has three centre ridges, yours as two?

May be yours is a DLX "Deep force" series? https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...lection!/page2
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    Hardware does look to be older, check out this export catalogue from 1982 - those tomtom holders look the same?

http://catweb.tgtel.com/1982%20Expor...%20spreads.pdf

Not convinced that is a 514 snare, the 514 has three centre ridges, yours as two?

May be yours is a DLX "Deep force" series? https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...lection!/page2
    That would be the B-514(brass), mine I believe is an M-514(metal/steel)
    Definitely not a "Deep Force" series. Toms&bass are standard or 'short' sized.

9. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer-64 View Post
    Mine are equipped with the older two-piece die-cast joints and/or the older 'pinch-tube' version with the white nylon bushing. Also tom arms are not the same. And I know this has been bought all together, as a complete kit by the first owner.
    D./
    Well, there's a possible answer you may not like.
    Some of the hardware is not from the same era as the shell pack, even though it was bought as a complete kit.
    Check out this:
    http://catweb.tgtel.com/1982%20Pearl.pdf

Look at page 16
    (Please note that while the above catalogue is marked as 82 at the tgtel site from LD, it is dated Jan83 Norlin on the last page.)

The tom arms were introduced in 83 according to catalogues.
    The kick pedal could be a P900 from the same time.

The stands though are from an earlier period. 1981 as a last possible. Check out the 703/803/903/903D series hardware in the 80 and 81 catalogues series hardware.

Al has posted up an image from the 83 catalogue, but we have confirmed production of these drums in 82 here:
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...ries-BLX-82-83

10. Registered User

3pk echoes my thoughts having looked at some catalogues, some of the hardware is from an earlier period.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    Well, there's a possible answer you may not like.
    Some of the hardware is not from the same era as the shell pack, even though it was bought as a complete kit.
    Check out this:
    http://catweb.tgtel.com/1982%20Pearl.pdf

Look at page 16
    (Please note that while the above catalogue is marked as 82 at the tgtel site from LD, it is dated Jan83 Norlin on the last page.)

The tom arms were introduced in 83 according to catalogues.
    The kick pedal could be a P900 from the same time.

The stands though are from an earlier period. 1981 as a last possible. Check out the 703/803/903/903D series hardware in the 80 and 81 catalogues series hardware.

Al has posted up an image from the 83 catalogue, but we have confirmed production of these drums in 82 here:
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...ries-BLX-82-83
    ? Ehmm? What's there not to like?
    You've just confirmed my own findings.
    I was just wondering, and that was actually the only question in the OP, if this was 'normal practice' back then.
    To me it looks like it was 'thrown together' to get that kit out of the door. I'm totally fine with that. Happy with the age/dating and provenance. Just somewhat surprised but apparently that's how things went. Cool either way. No worries!

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    3pk echoes my thoughts having looked at some catalogues, some of the hardware is from an earlier period.

Like I said.
    Thanks.