Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Drum finishing help and ideas

Hey guys! I need some help. I am considering purchasing a poplar snare drum to refinish (for fun) to match the Decade Maple Series Brown Burst finish. I know that poplar doesn't always take stain very well, which is why I have turned to the fine people in this forum. I'd love to pick the brains of others more experienced than myself in the area of staining and wood finishing to make this happen. Though this is for fun I would still like the drum to be indistinguishable ENOUGH from the Decade Maple finish to take on stage.

Thanks to all who can help!
    :o thatguylikespie :p

2. Registered User

What kind of snare are you going to use?? Why not buy a decade maple snare to match?

3. Registered User

A 14x10 poplar snare. I'm more interested in building my snare with the hardware appointments I've chosen. I feel as though that would be a more worthwhile endeavor (fun) than to simply purchase a matching snare. It isn't wholly imperative that the snare be indistinguishable from the kit. However, I would like for it to blend in as much as possible.
    Last edited by my sticks; 06-28-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    :o thatguylikespie :p

4. bangin since '95

I'd say my old Forums took stain pretty well. But I will say they were very inconsistent drum to drum. Some took 4 coats, others took 6, and one took 2. They're not perfect, but they're close enough.

I used Minwax Polyshades in the Bombay Mahogany, which is stain plus poly in one coat.

Name:  IMG_1633.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  77.3 KB
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    I'd say my old Forums took stain pretty well. But I will say they were very inconsistent drum to drum. Some took 4 coats, others took 6, and one took 2. They're not perfect, but they're close enough.

I used Minwax Polyshades in the Bombay Mahogany, which is stain plus poly in one coat.

Name:  IMG_1633.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  77.3 KB
    They are good one. How much time collection of this did take?