Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default 2 New Masterworks Snares - Scarlet Sparkle Burst, Purple Marbleized

Name:  MWX2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  48.9 KB

I've been sharing my snare collection for the past several months. However, I just got a couple drums in today that deserve their own thread. I have a few other Masterworks snares that I got second hand, but these are the first two that I have custom ordered. I think part of the reason it took me so long to order a MW snare was the pressure of trying to build a perfect drum. Deciding to order two drums helped me get over that. Instead of trying to build one perfect drum, I wanted to make something specific with a goal in mind. Neither of these are my ideal drum that I would use over all others, and I don't think I even know what that hypothetical drum would look like. They just fulfill an idea or plug a specific hole in my collection. I do plan to order more once my drum budget replenishes some from this hit!

Name:  MWC1470SG.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  71.2 KB

I am a big fan of the Virgil Donati signature snare drum, but I wanted a 6.5" version. Like the Virgil drum, this has a 8-ply (10mm) mixed ply shell with 4 inner plies of birch and 4 outer plies of maple and philharmonic snare beds. It also has the same hardware configuration, although in black rather than chrome, with Mastercast hoops, TB65 tube lugs, and SR017 throw off. The finish is Scarlet Sparkle Burst with Halo Flakes. Up close, the Scarlet Sparkle Burst looks great, but from a distance the Halo Flakes really pop.

Name:  MW1465SB.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  86.2 KB

This drum is 14x7 with a 4-Ply (5mm) birch shell with re-rings. I don't currently have any other thin birch shells, so I wanted to check out that setup. The finish is Purple Marbleized with all gold hardware. I wanted to complement the thin shell with sleek, lightweight hardware, so I went with Fat Tone hoops, STL150 mini tube lugs, and SR150 click-lock throw off.

2. Pearl Corporation USA

I saw the scarlet sparkle burst when Tom was inspecting on Monday. Gorgeous! Looks amazing in person. Congratulations!!!!

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

3. Registered User

Yes it does! Thanks Al!

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post

I am a big fan of the Virgil Donati signature snare drum, but I wanted a 6.5" version. Like the Virgil drum, this has a 8-ply (10mm) mixed ply shell with 4 inner plies of birch and 4 outer plies of maple and philharmonic snare beds. It also has the same hardware configuration, although in black rather than chrome, with Mastercast hoops, TB65 tube lugs, and SR017 throw off. The finish is Scarlet Sparkle Burst with Halo Flakes. Up close, the Scarlet Sparkle Burst looks great, but from a distance the Halo Flakes really pop.

This drum is 14x7 with a 4-Ply (5mm) birch shell with re-rings. I don't currently have any other thin birch shells, so I wanted to check out that setup. The finish is Purple Marbleized with all gold hardware. I wanted to complement the thin shell with sleek, lightweight hardware, so I went with Fat Tone hoops, STL150 mini tube lugs, and SR150 click-lock throw off.
    I love the Scarlet Sparkle Burst snare. Great choice of using the black hardware on that one.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

5. Experienced Noob

I've been sharing my snare collection for the past several months. However, I just got a couple drums in today that deserve their own thread. I have a few other Masterworks snares that I got second hand, but these are the first two that I have custom ordered. I think part of the reason it took me so long to order a MW snare was the pressure of trying to build a perfect drum. Deciding to order two drums helped me get over that. Instead of trying to build one perfect drum, I wanted to make something specific with a goal in mind. Neither of these are my ideal drum that I would use over all others, and I don't think I even know what that hypothetical drum would look like. They just fulfill an idea or plug a specific hole in my collection. I do plan to order more once my drum budget replenishes some from this hit!

Scarlet Sparkle Burst with Halo Flakes & black hardware... Now where have I seen that before?

Nice choice. Nearly impossible to take a picture of the finish that shows how everything about it pops but nice choice, regardless.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Scarlet Sparkle Burst with Halo Flakes & black hardware... Now where have I seen that before? Nice choice. Nearly impossible to take a picture of the finish that shows how everything about it pops but nice choice, regardless.
    Yes, that is a great finish. Great background for the halo flakes.

7. Registered User

I'm surprised you didn't go "lighter" with the ARL-65 lugs on this one.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Scarlet Sparkle Burst with Halo Flakes & black hardware... Now where have I seen that before?

Nice choice. Nearly impossible to take a picture of the finish that shows how everything about it pops but nice choice, regardless.
    To be completely honest, I hadn't seen your set when I decided to go with that combination. For many years, I wasn't very active on this forum until I started posting my snare collection early this year, which was right around the same time I placed the MW order. I knew that I wanted to go with a sparkle finish for this particular drum with the Virgil Donati specs. Scarlet Sparkle Burst is one of my favorites that Pearl has done that I don't already have, but I wanted to make it more "Masterworks" which is where the Halo Flakes came in. Before I confirmed my order, I did find your pictures and knew that I made a good choice!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't go "lighter" with the ARL-65 lugs on this one.
    That would have been a great way to go too. Part of the reason I decided to go with the split STL150 lugs since, even though I plan to get more MW snares, I don't know how many will likely be deep enough to be able to use them since they have to be at least 7" deep. I don't have, and may not have, any other snares with this setup. I also think it looks really classy and regal with the purple/gold combo.

10. Registered User

That would have been a great way to go too. Part of the reason I decided to go with the split STL150 lugs since, even though I plan to get more MW snares, I don't know how many will likely be deep enough to be able to use them since they have to be at least 7" deep. I don't have, and may not have, any other snares with this setup. I also think it looks really classy and regal with the purple/gold combo.
    Good thoughts.

I have a set of MW snares that match my main kit where I used the STL lugs (to match the hardware on the kick and toms) but they are only 5" and 6.5" deep so I used one-piece lugs. I'm planning to do a 15x10 "floor snare" on an upcoming MW order where I'll use the STL-150 lugs.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Good thoughts.

I have a set of MW snares that match my main kit where I used the STL lugs (to match the hardware on the kick and toms) but they are only 5" and 6.5" deep so I used one-piece lugs. I'm planning to do a 15x10 "floor snare" on an upcoming MW order where I'll use the STL-150 lugs.
    That Floor Snare sounds fun! I'm definitely going to be getting one of the 14x10 Modern Utility snares when they become available.

12. Registered User

Very pretty!