Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. bangin since '95

Default My band opened for Hinder last weekend...it was an adventure.

So this past weekend one of the bands I'm in got what initially looked like a cool opportunity to open up for Hinder, as we all remembered hearing "Lips of an Angel" all over the radio about 10-15 years ago in middle/high school. So even though we weren't particularly fans of the band or their music, we thought "hey, f*** it right?" and decided to play the show. Well this thing ended up being a massive *****show on epic proportions, and I hope you find it as hilarious and somewhat pathetic as I do. Let's go down the list:

1. We were forced to participate in what was essentially a pyramid scheme to sell tickets in order to play the show. We had to sell at the minimum 25 advance tickets at $35 a piece, for a venue that was an hour outside of our radius, and if we couldn't sell enough, we had to pay the venue for the unsold tickets, which at maximum could have been $875. We were able to sell the allotted amount (we sold 29, including the two I bought for my girlfriend and her brother), but we soon found out that we were only making $3 a piece on tickets sold AFTER you hit the 25 mark, and the show "sold out" after we sold our 29th ticket. Basically, we had absolutely nothing to gain from this show, and everything to lose. The venue still hasn't given us the $10 that we were supposed to get.

2. The venue was billed as a "Lounge", which given that there are 3-4 other legitimate music venues in that area, I figured it would be something similar to that. Well, as it turns out, the venue was in a PIZZA PARLOR, and the room we were playing in was about the size of my living room, with the stage taking up half of it. We had to fit 4 bands and their equipment on the stage and the cramped storage room off to the side. I pretty much started laughing as soon as I walked in and noticed that there were 9 roadies and techs cramped together piecing drum kits together, and testing out guitar rigs. I made sure to keep a count of how many Monster Energy logos I managed to come across as well.

3. The engineer seemed very adamant that I cut down the size of my kit as well. I play a 6 piece kit with 2 racks and 2 floors, and 3 crashes, 2 pairs of hats, a ride, and a china that are neatly consolidated onto 4 stands with the usage of boom arms and whatnot. Really not a large footprint at all, but I obliged in order to make his job easier and to maintain a level of professionalism. No biggie. But I did have to remove almost all of my memory lock settings which took about 3 hours to finally get them "right" again, so that was inconvenient. So I went with a 4 piece with 2 crashes , a ride, and my main hi hat, and the engineer still complained that it was too much. Well, the next two bands on after that brought a 7 piece setup with a side snare, and then 9 piece double bass setup. So yeah, my little 4 piece was just a little too much.

4. We timed our set which cut off at around 42 minutes (we were allotted 45), and allowed for some wiggle room for crowd banter, but we were cut off before we could play our last two songs, so we really got about 35 minutes.

5. I saved the best for last. Hinder gets on stage and instead of using the house lights that everyone else was using, they decided to bring their massive lighting rig, which shorted out the breaker TWICE. So they played 3 songs acoustic and left, and I guess there is some justice in the world, because the audience was absolutely pissed, and quite a few of them demanded their money back and said they'd never see Hinder again, nor would they be back in that establishment.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

2. Drumming Since 1943

OMG

I would be somewhere between LIVID and crying from laughter. That sounds like a leaky bag of **** of EPIC proportions.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. a.k.a. YtseJam

My band is supposed to support Dream Theater in a week and it's a multiple support bands gig, so I wonder how many of these things will happen to me too.

4. Pearl Corporation USA

I see nothing in the local music scene has changed..............

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

5. Registered User

Wow. Just Wow.

6. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    I see nothing in the local music scene has changed..............
    No, the local original music scene has gotten worse. It’s fun to play but it’s the same ol S*** Only more complicated thanks to all the online bickering among bands on social media & everyone spouting off their personal beliefs telling everyone that doesn’t agree with them to never talk to them again...consequently their attendance at shows suffers.

This type of thing seems to be par for the course when opening for a once “famous” band from 10 or so years ago that barely made it mainstream but now has 1-2 members at best from the original band.

We opened for a touring band that was friends with a local top draw band at the largest venue in our area. I knew the promoter & the band arranging the show so I knew it would be a good show & we did make money....but there is always something that’s a PITA. We were put on the show because we always had a solid draw & could sell tickets. We were given 100 tickets & of the 3 opening bands, whoever sold the most tickets went on right before the main act and got a 45 min set. We absolutely killed ourselves to sell all the tickets & we did. We got the best spot of the night!!! The first band told all their buddies to come later when they were playing & threw a fit when they had to open to basically club staff. The 2nd band had good draw but it was the singers last gig so they went 15 min over their allotted 30min time & then proceeded to walk around and thank everyone before getting their gear off stage. At this point we have 5 min to set up (we have signs and all the band gear). As I’m going up the touring act tells me I have to cut our set 15 minutes since the last band went over. I was PO’d. I went to the promoter and unloaded.....he said don’t worry, do your thing. We went on and killed it.....by the end of our 45 min we immediately start getting gear off stage.....the whole place is screaming “ONE MORE SONG!!!!” As we walk off stage to a roaring crowd we pass the main band & the lead singer who told us to cut our set....we walked by and causally said “What’s up”. The look on his face was priceless...they totally underestimated us. The annoying thing about that was we promoted his band for 3 months, sold the most tickets, and got some people we drew to buy merch from them & they couldn’t even even be bothered to mention our band to anyone. I saw them promote some other band in a venue 1/4 of the size with 1/10th of the people & they were slobbering all over them.
    Last edited by The Kurgan; 06-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.

7. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    1. We were forced to participate in what was essentially a pyramid scheme to sell tickets in order to play the show. We had to sell at the minimum 25 advance tickets at $35 a piece, for a venue that was an hour outside of our radius, and if we couldn't sell enough, we had to pay the venue for the unsold tickets, which at maximum could have been $875. We were able to sell the allotted amount (we sold 29, including the two I bought for my girlfriend and her brother), but we soon found out that we were only making $3 a piece on tickets sold AFTER you hit the 25 mark, and the show "sold out" after we sold our 29th ticket. Basically, we had absolutely nothing to gain from this show, and everything to lose. The venue still hasn't given us the $10 that we were supposed to get.
    Unfortunately at this point any show worth playing tends to be this. It’s rare to find one where the club actually pays the bands...unless your a cover band. They do pretty good in our area.

2. The venue was billed as a "Lounge", which given that there are 3-4 other legitimate music venues in that area, I figured it would be something similar to that. Well, as it turns out, the venue was in a PIZZA PARLOR, and the room we were playing in was about the size of my living room, with the stage taking up half of it. We had to fit 4 bands and their equipment on the stage and the cramped storage room off to the side. I pretty much started laughing as soon as I walked in and noticed that there were 9 roadies and techs cramped together piecing drum kits together, and testing out guitar rigs. I made sure to keep a count of how many Monster Energy logos I managed to come across as well.
    All the good places to play are closing down, not enough people pay to go to see smaller bands. Even more famous ones are having a tough time.

3. The engineer seemed very adamant that I cut down the size of my kit as well. I play a 6 piece kit with 2 racks and 2 floors, and 3 crashes, 2 pairs of hats, a ride, and a china that are neatly consolidated onto 4 stands with the usage of boom arms and whatnot. Really not a large footprint at all, but I obliged in order to make his job easier and to maintain a level of professionalism. No biggie. But I did have to remove almost all of my memory lock settings which took about 3 hours to finally get them "right" again, so that was inconvenient. So I went with a 4 piece with 2 crashes , a ride, and my main hi hat, and the engineer still complained that it was too much. Well, the next two bands on after that brought a 7 piece setup with a side snare, and then 9 piece double bass setup. So yeah, my little 4 piece was just a little too much.
    Almost every club we played has one rack Tom mic, one floor Tom mic, bass & snare....that’s it. No overheads, you can bring a 62 piece kit but you’re getting 4 mics. I cut down to a 4piece because of this.

4. We timed our set which cut off at around 42 minutes (we were allotted 45), and allowed for some wiggle room for crowd banter, but we were cut off before we could play our last two songs, so we really got about 35 minutes.
    This seems to happen a lot due to one band that can’t seem to get their S*** together. Happens every time.

5. I saved the best for last. Hinder gets on stage and instead of using the house lights that everyone else was using, they decided to bring their massive lighting rig, which shorted out the breaker TWICE. So they played 3 songs acoustic and left, and I guess there is some justice in the world, because the audience was absolutely pissed, and quite a few of them demanded their money back and said they'd never see Hinder again, nor would they be back in that establishment.
    It’s a 50/50 mix on this ....I’ve seen the lead singer arrested on stage, I’ve seen the bands kill it.

8. Registered User

"My band opened for Hitler last weekend...it was an adventure."

...I'll get me coat

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I learned at 16 regardless of who you share the stage with, run the moment the venue says you need to sell tickets. I did it the first time as it was my first ever “professional” show. I really figured out then how much that sucked and stated I would never do it again. Five years later an opportunity to play a famous venue, waaay too big for just locals, asked my then new band member to sell tickets to play. I told him I will play it, but I’m not taking any financial responsibility for it. He said it was okay until he got stuck with a bill. I told him I wasn’t paying and needless to say that version of that band didn’t last much longer.

The bottom line is if it’s a gig worth playing, especially with a national band, selling tickets shouldn’t even be an issue to where they would need local bands to help fill the room. No more than 3 bands is required by me unless it’s all friends, but realistically, there shouldn’t be more than 2 if you’re playing the proper sized venue.

10. The Dark Sentencer

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    No, the local original music scene has gotten worse. It’s fun to play but it’s the same ol S*** Only more complicated thanks to all the online bickering among bands on social media & everyone spouting off their personal beliefs telling everyone that doesn’t agree with them to never talk to them again...consequently their attendance at shows suffers.

This type of thing seems to be par for the course when opening for a once “famous” band from 10 or so years ago that barely made it mainstream but now has 1-2 members at best from the original band.

We opened for a touring band that was friends with a local top draw band at the largest venue in our area. I knew the promoter & the band arranging the show so I knew it would be a good show & we did make money....but there is always something that’s a PITA. We were put on the show because we always had a solid draw & could sell tickets. We were given 100 tickets & of the 3 opening bands, whoever sold the most tickets went on right before the main act and got a 45 min set. We absolutely killed ourselves to sell all the tickets & we did. We got the best spot of the night!!! The first band told all their buddies to come later when they were playing & threw a fit when they had to open to basically club staff. The 2nd band had good draw but it was the singers last gig so they went 15 min over their allotted 30min time & then proceeded to walk around and thank everyone before getting their gear off stage. At this point we have 5 min to set up (we have signs and all the band gear). As I’m going up the touring act tells me I have to cut our set 15 minutes since the last band went over. I was PO’d. I went to the promoter and unloaded.....he said don’t worry, do your thing. We went on and killed it.....by the end of our 45 min we immediately start getting gear off stage.....the whole place is screaming “ONE MORE SONG!!!!” As we walk off stage to a roaring crowd we pass the main band & the lead singer who told us to cut our set....we walked by and causally said “What’s up”. The look on his face was priceless...they totally underestimated us. The annoying thing about that was we promoted his band for 3 months, sold the most tickets, and got some people we drew to buy merch from them & they couldn’t even even be bothered to mention our band to anyone. I saw them promote some other band in a venue 1/4 of the size with 1/10th of the people & they were slobbering all over them.
    I gotta know who this band is lol
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"