2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    HELTER SKELTER / Motley Cre

The Air That I Breath - the Hollies
    Ooh good one re Crue.

3. Get Down On It

Gimme Shelter-Stereophonics is tops for me
    Boys of Summer-The Ataries is a close second
    Ludwig Keystone in Pewter Glass 8X10, 9X12, 10X13,16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 Classic Maple
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

4. Drowned God

Quote Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
    Boys of Summer-The Ataries is a close second
    Good choice. I like their addition of the Black Flag stick on the Cadillac.
    What is dead may never die.

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    Good choice. I like their addition of the Black Flag stick on the Cadillac.
    Though I like they adapted it to modern times, I really don’t feel they did anything different with it worthy of being a single. It’s not much different than what any local cover band would do.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Though I like they adapted it to modern times, I really don’t feel they did anything different with it worthy of being a single. It’s not much different than what any local cover band would do.
    This reasoning always makes me scratch my head. They're called "cover songs" for a reason. When people go see a cover band, they're not going for creative "interpretations" of their favorite songs. They want to hear the tunes the way they were first written. By your estimation, it'd be ok if the Atari's played BoS at 1/2 the speed and applied a Bossa Nova beat to it. Personally, that'd be beer time for me.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Drowned God

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    This reasoning always makes me scratch my head. They're called "cover songs" for a reason. When people go see a cover band, they're not going for creative "interpretations" of their favorite songs. They want to hear the tunes the way they were first written. By your estimation, it'd be ok if the Atari's played BoS at 1/2 the speed and applied a Bossa Nova beat to it. Personally, that'd be beer time for me.
    I get that, and I see Dale's point in that the ataris aren't a cover band, rather they did a cover song. Is their version groundbreaking? No. But it's a toe-tapper, and that's my goal.
    What is dead may never die.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Exactly, from a true cover band I expect nothing less. In fact, that’s what people want to hear out of a cover band. That’s why they see them.

From an original band I expect something different than the known performance. I play covers with my original bands, but they are in no way close to the original.

Here’s the Beatles version of I’m So Tired and my art-punk band’s version. In my opinion, if you are listening to an original band’s recording especially, different is what’s needed. Will I win everyone over with my version? Definitely not, especially with this band, but if they got an issue with anyone’s different version, I say go listen to the original then.

VH’s cover of Dancing in the Streets is definitely different than the original. In fact, I think it’s why I like it better than the original.

9. so it goes, bros.

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Listen to Lights by Journey and then try to tell me the drums don’t have a bunch of pillows shoved in it, especially compared any Led Zeppelin or Van Halen record. As great of a player he is, from what I’ve heard I find Steve Gadd’s drum sound choked.
    well, if you wanna bring up steve gadd, listen to aja from steely dan if you haven't already.
    if you want more examples listen to anything outside of classic rock and i bet you'll find good drum sounds. lol.

10. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by cezegg View Post
    well, if you wanna bring up steve gadd, listen to aja from steely dan if you haven't already.
    if you want more examples listen to anything outside of classic rock and i bet you'll find good drum sounds. lol.
    I figured I'd play impartial 3rd party arbiter in this discussion so I listened to Aja. This is only 1 song, but I'd have to say that Aja is not a song I'd use as an example of great drum sounds. The cymbals sound really nice. The drums have that cardboard sound that is quite known as the sound of the '70s. Sorry, but the drums do not sound great on this one, at all.

11. Registered User

Hostile Intent - Subdivisions
    https://youtu.be/SQlV-UHKQ3A

You can thank me later. Or never.

12. Registered User

Probably all covers on Nirvana's Unplugged. Possibly some others as well... "Love Buzz" is also a cover I think?

Shoot me. I think a 16-gauge would be preferable