Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

The decade maples are lower grade than the Exports so... It's a shame of what's up with your tom. To me you have to options

1. Keep battling

2. Admit defeat

You have to ask if it's worth the stress it's causing you. Even if you stress the guy/gal at your music store briefly, as soon as you leave so does their stress. But you have to pack it around and that's not good for you. You can simply enjoy the kit for what it is and just never buy Pearl again. Or buy again and hope for better results. I feel for you and hope all comes out good, no matter what you choose. Cheers

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    The decade maples are lower grade than the Exports so... It's a shame of what's up with your tom. To me you have to options

1. Keep battling

2. Admit defeat

You have to ask if it's worth the stress it's causing you. Even if you stress the guy/gal at your music store briefly, as soon as you leave so does their stress. But you have to pack it around and that's not good for you. You can simply enjoy the kit for what it is and just never buy Pearl again. Or buy again and hope for better results. I feel for you and hope all comes out good, no matter what you choose. Cheers
    Nothing is perfect. I agree that stressing over a drum that cost a couple of hundred dollars is just silly. There are some advantages to buying an in stock kit from a local dealer.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Registered User

1. Keep battling

2. Admit defeat

Well said.

4. Registered User

sticks4drums, quicksticks, therocker... yes. I appreciate your sentiment (others' too!). Back in October or whatever it was, I'd already (at least mostly) decided how I'm going to handle this. I posted a remark to that effect already back then, but didn't open it up. What I'd decided was that... if I get a replacement where the seam is even worse, then so be it [[**]]. This is nothing resembling "OUTRAGE! I demand that I get a perfectly finished drum and don't care others don't". No. Things did unfold in unexpected ways though.

So yeah... "admitted defeat" in advance, sort of. I haven't really expected to get a better drum (better finish) for a long time.

MitchLyons: What exactly is "vague" about anything what comes to this? There are at least 5 people on this thread who know in much detail exactly what has been going on. If you do NOT know the backstory, why do you come on here with your seemingly passive-aggressive tone and tell me to "just play the drum"? To me, it's obvious that this just simply is not about a "cosmetic flaw on some drum". I'm sorry if you don't understand or if I've somehow offended you regarding something else.

Like I already said: why waste any time and effort at all if the end result is that the drum is effectively NOT replaced (is the same drum or one with an identical flaw)? Hmh? I do see the funny side to this. I also see the bad side or sad side.

quicksticks: A guy from Pearl (something like Al's counterpart as far as I can tell) told me on the phone he had seen the replacement that was reserved for me. He said it also has a gap, but not as big. That's why it was even more of a surprise to receive something that looks identical to what I had.

Should've gone Yamaha (damn near did) --- better quality AND cheaper! Heavier gauge steel even!

[[**]] ...did not expect the first attempt to boomerang though...

5. Registered User

Pearl Decades are poorly made. Pearl dropped the ball discontinuing the Vision line for these. Like you mentioned in your post, a rep from Pearl saw the replacement and said it had a gap, but not as bad. Look closely online, the floors on the lacquer kits have big gaps on the seams. So, as mentioned, resign your self and live with it or sell the kit, save up a buy a better made sessions or masters maple kit. Iím surprised at a few here that think that thatís acceptable, even for a cheap kit, considering todayís manufacturing capabilities.

6. A Passion Play ...

Sorry about your Decade kit. What ever happens from
    now on the important thing is get back on the throne.
    You keep this kit great or you get another set from
    a different manufacturer that’s great too.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

7. Registered User

Thanks guys. One particular thing I feel I should mention is that this "cheap Decade set" is not all I have. I also have other drums and gear. Lots of. No need to worry about THAT.

I don't play cheap stuff because I'm some sort of poor starving sod, and what's actually worrying is that some even would determine my worth based on how many US Dollars I'm willing to dish out for a drum. I can play drums and I can do other things, there's no dissonance. More is more.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    Thanks guys. One particular thing I feel I should mention is that this "cheap Decade set" is not all I have. I also have other drums and gear. Lots of. No need to worry about THAT. I don't play cheap stuff because I'm some sort of poor starving sod, and what's actually worrying is that some even would determine my worth based on how many US Dollars I'm willing to dish out for a drum. I can play drums and I can do other things, there's no dissonance. More is more.
    I don't think that's the case. I'll admit I'm not going to reread the whole thread looking for an indication of someone calling you cheap or poor.

I myself said that the Decade Maple is a line below the Export series kits.

To me the Decade Maple is a way for a guy to have a Maple kit with a lacquer finish for not much money. I don't see anything wrong with that.

As far as the Exports go? I've played them for years. Gigged them, abused them within normality. They've held up and sounded great. The DM series I'm not sure if they'ed handle the gigging with out cases type of thing and still be functional as long as an Export kit might.

Regardless, again, it's a shame your FT adventures are sour. Here is the important question. How do the Decade Maple drums sound to you? If you like the sound and like the look, gig them ****ers. Beat them like a rented mule!

I could've bought any kit I wanted ( with in reason ) new but opted for a used MCX kit. I liked the finish and configuration and got a nice price used. There's a scuff here and there but I don't care.

But I saw no sense in spending a ton of money when I don't gig regular, I'm not endorsed by anyone and I don't see my big break over the horizon. I mostly play drums just because I enjoy playing drums. Every single cymbal I own is used. The only thing I own new is a throne a snare and a few cases. Oh, and pedals. And hi hat stand. And a few clamps. And mini booms. And sticks. But other than those things I go cheap.

The art of the deal. Like that book by the Circus Peanut!

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Admit defeat, live in decline and be the victim of your own design
    fixed

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    fixed
    That song is 20 years old, and I am more depressed now than I was 18 minutes ago.

11. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    That song is 20 years old, and I am more depressed now than I was 18 minutes ago.
    with that said .. meet the Decline

12. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    Should've gone Yamaha
    It's not too late.