Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default I got a floor tom in the mail.

Remember all that stuff a while ago? With the Decade tom with a bit of a seam gap ... so anyway:

Name:  a_decade_drum_NEW_2019.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  43.7 KB

This is... I'm gonna have to think a little bit before I say more. But this is what was in the box they now sent me.

HMM.

2. Unban nik12

It's a budget drum kit. There are going to be flaws due to lessened QC, lowering the price of the kit. Not a single person will be able to hear the gap in the seam, and nobody is actually going to care, either. Just play the damn things.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    It's a budget drum kit. There are going to be flaws due to lessened QC, lowering the price of the kit. Not a single person will be able to hear the gap in the seam, and nobody is actually going to care, either. Just play the damn things.

4. Registered User

MitchLyons: I'm assuming you do NOT know the backstory I hinted at there. I'm also going to be a bit blunt here...

Dude. It has taken those guys over 6 months to make this simple exchange happen. And I actually still don't know whether or not this is actually the exact drum that Pearl had reserved for me or did the dealer again mess things up somehow and just send me something different. I was personally promised a replacement by PME over the phone. Everyone at Pearl also agreed that such defects are unacceptable (there's a margin, and these go over it), even if you think otherwise.

You could even say that the issue has never been the little surface flaw. I for myself have never argued that anyone could hear a difference in the sound or that it would affect the "functionality" of the drum. The real and much more serious concern here is the unbelievably bad customer service. Obviously, I have not been able to USE the (previous) tom in the meantime.

Do you know what I am saying?

5. Drumming Since 1943

I think they sent you back the same drum.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I agree. Honestly, thatís inexcusable even for a budget kit. Whatís even worse is the way theyíve treated you. It looks like your not going to get this issue resolved to your satisfaction, since itís seems they donít care.

7. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    MitchLyons: I'm assuming you do NOT know the backstory I hinted at there. I'm also going to be a bit blunt here... Dude. It has taken those guys over 6 months to make this simple exchange happen. And I actually still don't know whether or not this is actually the exact drum that Pearl had reserved for me or did the dealer again mess things up somehow and just send me something different. I was personally promised a replacement by PME over the phone. Everyone at Pearl also agreed that such defects are unacceptable (there's a margin, and these go over it), even if you think otherwise. You could even say that the issue has never been the little surface flaw. I for myself have never argued that anyone could hear a difference in the sound or that it would affect the "functionality" of the drum. The real and much more serious concern here is the unbelievably bad customer service. Obviously, I have not been able to USE the (previous) tom in the meantime. Do you know what I am saying?
    You're right, I don't know the backstory but I have seen your consistently vague posts regarding this drum and think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. If it means that much to you, sell the kit or try to return to where you bought it from but it's probably not possible to return at this point. Idk man, I don't think it's that big of a deal and it sucks that customer service is bad but I don't know what you want me or anyone else on this forum to tell you other than "that sucks". Who cares if there's a cosmetic flaw, just play the drum, dude!

8. Chomp, Chomp

It would have been nice if someone at Pearl would have checked the drum before shipping it. Obviously that amount of gap is within Pearl’s specs for that series. I’m not saying it’s right. At this point I would just move on and enjoy the drum. You tried. If I had to bet on it, a third tom will probably have the same seam.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    Remember all that stuff a while ago? With the Decade tom with a bit of a seam gap ... so anyway:

Name:  a_decade_drum_NEW_2019.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  43.7 KB

This is... I'm gonna have to think a little bit before I say more. But this is what was in the box they now sent me.

HMM.
    Pearl has shipped this product out to customers more than once now (whether it's the exact original drum, or not), so they think it's fine. This is clearly the case of the end user expecting too much for the little money laid out.

Consider any car company, doesn't matter which kind you like or dislike. I will choose Ford, although they will only be manufacturing trucks and SUVs soon. If you have a brand new Ford Fiesta and a brand new Ford Taurus, and they sit next to each other in a moderate hail storm, would you expect both vehicles to endure the hail in the same way? Not likely, as the Ford Fiesta will likely take on more damage than the Taurus. Why? Because the Fiesta is a cheaply made vehicle, with body panels made with a lighter-gauge steel than a Taurus. Did Ford know they made the Fiesta cheaper? Of course. Did Pearl know they put a lot less time and materials into the Decade series. Of course.

It doesn't matter how many people think this floor tom is finished incorrectly; Pearl thinks it's fine for what the end-user paid for it.

If you're not happy with the quality of the Decades, sell them and get a higher quality set of drums. There are so many nice drums out there; you should check them out!

I'm not against you, or pro-Pearl... I simply think your expectations are too high. It doesn't matter that some of your other drums have nice seams... it must have been luck, because Pearl was willing to settle for less.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Empowered Individual

I had a set of 03í ELX exports and all of the floor toms had the same seam. It never bothered me because the seams faced the back. Those were excellent drums for the money and sounded great. I wouldnít worry too much unless they were a masters or above.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    That was my very first thought. Beginning from when I saw there are handling marks and scratches on the heads and hoops, and quite curiously the seam appears to be exactly in the same place on the surface the way it lines up with the lugs etc. I still am not sure.

I am NOT going to start debating the quality control/budget drum/whatever sort of thing again with anyone on here. One thing (again) to those who for some reason don't get it, PEARL said the flaw is a bit too much and PEARL promised me a replacement. PEARL told me on the phone that the replacement also has a gap in the seam but it's not quite as bad.

I could go on about how there's this invention called wood filler, another called sandpaper, and that spraying even coats of lacquer is not really that difficult. You can't fit any of that into an analogy about different gauges of steel. But I won't go on about that.

I will say AGAIN that I'm not excepting the drum to be more than it is, however I AM expecting the customer service to be even halfway decent.

The point here is VERY simple. After many months of promises, delays and tons of trouble (to ME), I get back the same drum or a replacement that's damn near identical. You think that's "fine"?

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Pearl has shipped this product out to customers more than once now (whether it's the exact original drum, or not), so they think it's fine. This is clearly the case of the end user expecting too much for the little money laid out.

Consider any car company, doesn't matter which kind you like or dislike. I will choose Ford, although they will only be manufacturing trucks and SUVs soon. If you have a brand new Ford Fiesta and a brand new Ford Taurus, and they sit next to each other in a moderate hail storm, would you expect both vehicles to endure the hail in the same way? Not likely, as the Ford Fiesta will likely take on more damage than the Taurus. Why? Because the Fiesta is a cheaply made vehicle, with body panels made with a lighter-gauge steel than a Taurus. Did Ford know they made the Fiesta cheaper? Of course. Did Pearl know they put a lot less time and materials into the Decade series. Of course.

It doesn't matter how many people think this floor tom is finished incorrectly; Pearl thinks it's fine for what the end-user paid for it.

If you're not happy with the quality of the Decades, sell them and get a higher quality set of drums. There are so many nice drums out there; you should check them out!

I'm not against you, or pro-Pearl... I simply think your expectations are too high. It doesn't matter that some of your other drums have nice seams... it must have been luck, because Pearl was willing to settle for less.
    The classic “you get what you paid for”.