Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Drum thrones

1. Registered User

Default Drum thrones

Just curious how many of you use a drum throne with a backrest?
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

2. A Passion Play ...

Count me in.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Registered User

Using an Ahead Spinal G. Currently looking for a backrest for it.
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Pearl World Series 12,13,16,22 in Natural Matte Lacquer
    Pearl BLX 10,12,13,16,22 in Sequoia Red
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

4. Registered User

At home for practice or rehearsal? Yes.
    Gigging? No.

5. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

I use a back rest
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

6. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

I would like to, I just haven't gotten around to getting one for my throne.

7. Now With More "Whiz"

Just added one to my Roc-n-Soc hydraulic. Took a little adjusting to get used to it, but I find it to be a very helpful addition.

8. Chomp, Chomp

Iíve been using a backrest for about 15 years. I can play longer without any back pain and it promotes good posture. It takes a little time to dial it in to where it feels good. Itís kind of like getting a new car with lumbar support. You have to adjust it back - forth, and up-down. But once itís set, it will feel so good. On some songs where you have to lean into your drums, the backrest doesnít do much, but on so many others, it feels great.
    If youíre in a bar or restaurant and they have stools with and without backrests, which would you choose?
    Last edited by quicksticks; 06-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

9. Registered User

Roc-N-Soc Nitro with backrest for me. Even if you aren't riding the backrest while playing, giving your back a rest between songs during a long night can be really helpful. Just make sure to keep a leg behind you and don't lean back too far!

10. Registered User

Does a back rest help your posture? I swear by rock n soc saddle drum thrones and will never use anything else but I notice you can get an add on back rest. My posture is admittedly poor ie slouching. I have wanted to work on this for some time now and if a back rest helps you not round your lower back or slouch over it might be worth the investment.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    Roc-N-Soc Nitro with backrest for me. Even if you aren't riding the backrest while playing, giving your back a rest between songs during a long night can be really helpful. Just make sure to keep a leg behind you and don't lean back too far!
    +1

I don't know how much I actually use my backrest while playing, but I prefer having it there.

I'll also add that the rotating and up and down movement of the Nitro Rock N Soc is important to me too.
    I recently played on my old Gibraltar Moto throne, which is basically the same but with the threaded spindle height adjustment,
    and it was much more fatiguing.

12. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Does a back rest help your posture? I swear by rock n soc saddle drum thrones and will never use anything else but I notice you can get an add on back rest. My posture is admittedly poor ie slouching. I have wanted to work on this for some time now and if a back rest helps you not round your lower back or slouch over it might be worth the investment.
    It definitely helps mine. I used to slouch at times just to have a change of position. Now it feels so much better to have something padded and comfy to lean against. I have two Pearl thrones. I think they’re model D1000. Both came with round seats but when I noticed that they were contributing to my sciatica pain I switched to the Roc n soc saddle seats on both. They are sturdy, well padded and comfy. Add a backrest and it’s drum furniture .
    There have been many discussions on this forum about backrests. Most if not all agreed that it helped their posture and wished they had started to use a backrest sooner. Next thrones will be nitro models.
    Last edited by quicksticks; 06-15-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals