Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Hello, new here.

Hey. Recently joined this magnificent forum after buying some Pearl drums.

I am from UK and been playing drums for 30 years. Not had too many kits just three different Premier sets, a yamaha SD493 snare and a pearl 8" maple free floater.

I got tired of looking for add on drums for my 1990's Premier Genista kit so scoured the internet for cheap drums. Ended up buying a very early 80's 16" export floor tom in green to go with my green Genista. I know export are classed as beginner kits but i really dig the sound. Next up was an early 80's 18" export floor tom in black. A massive sound from this beast. I really like it. Next i bought a 10 x 14" export tom in a wine coloured wrap. Yeah you guessed it - also an early 80's with coffin lugs. The other day i bought a 9 x 12" black export tom with coffin lugs. That hasn't arrived yet.

All i need to get now is a 14 x 22" kick drum and my project can start. I am going to refinish them all in the same colour (probably green) and clean up the hardware the best i can. The 16" has pretty rusty hoops and the 18" is even worse. They will never look shiny i don't think so i either replace them or do something like paint with a chrome colour. Or just leave them.

I currently have the two floor toms on the end of my Genista fusion kit and they fit in rather well sound wise. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good they sound when tuned well. My export's all have well used clear pinstripes on over clear ambassador's.

But the thing is i am liking these exports so much that i am considering selling my little Premier Genista fusion kit and just sticking with the exports. On paper some would think that is a down grade. But the exports are more than good enough for gigging. Don't do any recording these days. I can just hear the drum snobs now on my local music scene. Well bollocks to em. Can't wait to get a bass drum and take this hobbled together, mismatched, rusty and scratched kit out on the road. At least they are all of the same era with coffin lugs.

Stu

2. A Passion Play ...

Welcome to the Forum Wackjob.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Pearl does it for me

Yes, welcome to the forum, and the vintage section

It's pretty unusual for rims to be so badly rusted they'll never clean up ok, and end up shiny.

If, after you've got your kick, and want to rewrap, you've stripped the drums, throw all the chrome in a tub full of vinegar overnight.

Rinse and wipe down the next morning, and most of the rust will be gone. Then polish with any good quality car chrome polish, or, even better, autosol, and it should be like new.
    If, after all that, you still see some rust, get some 0000 grade steel wool, use that with the polish, that should sort it.

IMO, steel wool is last resort, not first port of call...

4. Registered User

Hey. Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Ok, i will give it a go cleaning up the hoops. The batter hoop on the 18" seems to be one big block of rust on the inside face. All the hardware will be coming off at some point. I believe the wrap on these early 80's exports are held on with tape so should come off easy. I used to spray my own cars (i have a compressor and spray gun). Might have a go refinishing them in gloss.

Stu