Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bass Drum Sound

1. Registered User

Default Bass Drum Sound

What makes a bass drum have a stick slap attack dominant sound with no body versus a big round bombastic sounds like a bomb going off?

Most modern recordings in rock and metal sound like the first description but then you have Bonham, Alex Van Halen, newer Hellyeah and FFDP with that big round thudding WALLOP bass drum sound which I love that I don’t hear often..?

I’ve had a pearl mrx bass drum with zero muffling nor port 22x18 that sounded great like a sub woofer but then a Ludwig classic maple 26x16 with no muffling nor port that sounded SO good and full. Just awesome. Most other bass drums were pretty discouraging in sound. I hate the clicky thin stick slap bass drum sound. I play double bass though so the 26x16 was a little tough without getting muddy.

What gives? What sizes, heads, and tunings attribute to a more bombastic full bodied wallop you can feel in your chest?
    Last edited by Invicta; 06-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.

2. Registered User

Don’t port your reso and you’ll get a big ol “boom” sound.

I have the Evans batter with the sound ring (plus the stick on Evans beater pad) and a remo clear (no port) for reso. Also put the white felt strip behind the reso. Tuned fairly tight for both. No pillow or any extra muffling inside. Has big booming sound.

I’m with you - I don’t prefer the wet punchy kick sound. And I definitely can’t abide the clicky bass drum sound.
    Last edited by Track12; 06-09-2019 at 02:54 PM.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Don’t port your reso and you’ll get a big ol “boom” sound.

I have the Evans batter with the sound ring (plus the stick on Evans beater pad) and a remo clear (no port) for reso. Also put the white felt strip behind the reso. Tuned fairly tight for both. No pillow or any extra muffling inside. Has big booming sound.

I’m with you - I don’t prefer the wet punchy kick sound. And I definitely can’t abide the clicky bass drum sound.
    Awesome. I’m going to set my bass drum up exactly how you just described. No port, felt strip, etc. Thanks.

4. Registered User

Beater choice also contributes. Plastic, Metal & wood beaters will predominantly give you a clicker sound. Rubber, felt will give a fuller, boomier sound
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Beater choice also contributes. Plastic, Metal & wood beaters will predominantly give you a clicker sound. Rubber, felt will give a fuller, boomier sound
    Or even more so with a big fluffy bomber type woollen beater.

Name:  26126-vkb3.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  17.8 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Registered User

Oh yeah good call. Old school felt for me or felt side of dual / quad beaters. Can’t wait to try this. I might try one strip of felt on batter side to lessen the beater rebound since I’m not porting the reso head. I think Bonham did that.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Oh yeah good call. Old school felt for me or felt side of dual / quad beaters. Can’t wait to try this. I might try one strip of felt on batter side to lessen the beater rebound since I’m not porting the reso head. I think Bonham did that.
    Bonham used a felt strip on the lower half of the batter head and his reso head had a Richie Ring.

I don't have a port on my kick and I always get sounds guys complaining about it. It's the only thing that keeps them from making my drum sound like a practice pad, so I gladly leave the ported head at home.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    Bonham used a felt strip on the lower half of the batter head and his reso head had a Richie Ring.

I don't have a port on my kick and I always get sounds guys complaining about it. It's the only thing that keeps them from making my drum sound like a practice pad, so I gladly leave the ported head at home.
    Some of the biggest, warmest and most resonant bass drums I've heard have been ported.

Alternatively, some of the emptiest, boingy and unusable bass drums I've heard have been 24x12 UN ported.. It's all down to the tuning.