Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    Off Set pedals are the answer to all the problems mentioned in previous posts.
    Read about them here:
    https://offsetpedal.com/
    Attachment 514122
    Damn those are really cool. I wonder what their response and feel is like? I have never seen a drummer using these I have to say.

2. Drum sales/service

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Damn those are really cool. I wonder what their response and feel is like? I have never seen a drummer using these I have to say.
    As a user, I can tell you firsthand that they are top-notch pedals in every way. They are heavy duty, well built, very adjustable, fast and quiet.
    Apparently, Pearl has made a Demon Drive-style prototype for Mike Mangini. I'd be excited to see a major drum company mass produce something like this, but the market demand has to be there first.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    As a user, I can tell you firsthand that they are top-notch pedals in every way. They are heavy duty, well built, very adjustable, fast and quiet.
    Apparently, Pearl has made a Demon Drive-style prototype for Mike Mangini. I'd be excited to see a major drum company mass produce something like this, but the market demand has to be there first.
    There’s a studio clip of him using them.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Have you ever noticed the classic two rack toms over the one bass drum to floor tom setup has literally 4/5ths of the drums to the complete right side of your body? This setup feels most natural to me for some reason, like it makes playing from tom to tom more flowing and ergonomic, I'm not sure. But it's weird that you're basically playing in a right twisted motion the majority of the time, is it not?

I have seen a lot of guys put one rack tom to the left and one rack tom to the right, but then the hi-hat is shoved out to the left some, so compromise I suppose unless you are using small toms. It even feels weird to have one bass drum since you have two feet, having a double pedal helps but doesn't feel the same as two single pedals admittedly.

Maybe playing drum set isn't supposed to be symmetrical, as you go from high sounding notes to low sounding notes from left to right and have to cross your arms for hi hat play and naturally leave your arms open for ride cymbal play. My brain just enjoys symmetry, but maybe drum set isn't ideally symmetrical, unless you're Mike Mangini and playing his drums would be a nightmare imo. He has to twist around 24-7 to do a tom run in natural succession. It seems like that's the epitome of "looks symmetrically pleasing but not ergonomic to play" examples.

A lot of guys are playing 4 piece drum sets again with one rack tom. That makes going from the rack tom to floor tom less ergonomic imo so I prefer having a 2nd rack tom over the pass drum to connect my drums together like Steve Gadd, etc. Seems to have best flow. Second option being two rack toms with one on the left and one on the right with maybe a third over the bass drum with them all.

How do you guys setup your drums? What feels most NATURAL to you? Is it a symmetrical looking setup or no? Thoughts?
    I was about to post something about this kind of thing and took some pictures for illustration purposes. I think the pics are still on my smartphone though. Anyway... you could say a drum set is inherently asymmetrical. There's really no going around the fact that handedness etc. have to come into play. The same person can play a standard drum kit set up left-handed or right-handed but it can't be the same kit at the same time.

Because the MLX toms were so deep, I couldn't find any other even remotely comfortable way. So I've come to prefer one rack tom directly in front of the snare, with the ride nice and close there as well. You would think the distance to the floor tom 'd be a problem but I found that it's actually possible to play even very fast rolls high to low simply with... practice. If you need to. One time a friend, who's probably a much better drummer than me physically speaking, was completely lost when he sat behind my set. He had a blank stare like he was lost in a foreign nation. "Where are the toms???" He's just used to playing blast beats and rolls down 7 toms and even though he also has Eliminators mine were set up so differently so he couldn't even double kick the way he wanted. Not to mention the MLX's are BIG and the man is roughly a head shorter than me. And I'm short, I'm only 182 cm and I can't reach anything.

One specific thing for me is that I HAVE to have the front tom (and snare) close to me, since I sit so far back. I'll complain about the Decade style mounts and their waaaaay too short tom arms another time. Maybe when I find the pics.

5. Dude.

While my kit isn't perfectly symmetrical, there's still muchof it going on, especially with the height in relation to other cymbals in the same type. My two crashes in front are the same height to each other, same with the side crashes, two splash in front are the same height, my main hats and the remote hat are the same height, my rides are the same height, two front chinas and the back chinas are the same height and finally my closed hats and the stack are the same height. I feel this gives my limbs are more familiar place to go and I'm not hitting things randomly.

Birth, Drums, Death.

6. Drumming Since 1943

**** me, that kit rules.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    **** me, that kit rules.
    Thanks man! First time owning a high end kit and I couldn’t be happier. I feel so blessed to own these drums and I’m loving every monent I get to play it.
    Birth, Drums, Death.

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon2o1 View Post
    Thanks man! First time owning a high end kit and I couldn’t be happier. I feel so blessed to own these drums and I’m loving every monent I get to play it.
    Wish I got to play mine.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

While my kit isn't perfectly symmetrical, there's still muchof it going on, especially with the height in relation to other cymbals in the same type. My two crashes in front are the same height to each other, same with the side crashes, two splash in front are the same height, my main hats and the remote hat are the same height, my rides are the same height, two front chinas and the back chinas are the same height and finally my closed hats and the stack are the same height. I feel this gives my limbs are more familiar place to go and I'm not hitting things randomly.

Now that....is a work of art. Absolutely badass drum set man. Wow.

10. Registered User

Yes, that kit is extremely nice! Glad you are enjoying it!

11. Registered User

I think it's definitely good to challenge conventions. Good innovation can happen that way. In my case, it wasn't that I was trying to be adventurous but I was pushed into playing a kit a certain way with a certain set up because of circumstances.

My first real kit was a double bass power Tom with four up and two down. I had to fly the toms uncomfortably high in order to clear the bass drum underneath. That was a concession that looked aesthetically interesting but I didn't enjoy playing.

I've always tilted my double bass drums off to an angle in order to match the fact that my feet would be not facing forward, especially since I'm straddling a snare drum in the middle.

My 8 inch Tom is about centered over the left bass drum and then the remaining three lineup from left to right based on that. That was largely governed by a compromise of where I needed my left Hihat to be. In turn, that forced my two floor toms to drift off to the right quite a bit. I sometimes get stuck in the weeds on the 16 inch floor Tom and I've had to adjust a wrist flip to hit it. That cuts down on the twisting that would commit me further than I want to from homebase. I didn't change the ergonomics enough to solve that problem so I've adapted the kit to have a few more cymbals on the right side so I don't have to whiplash myself back to center. Maybe the bigger challenge was sticking that would be appropriate to end a fill and then a crash and give me that moment to return to center.

Something else that I did early on which might have spared me from the ergonomic issue is I play openhanded. I have a left and a right ride hihat as well as a right side duo. That is also dipping into the compromise of ergonomics as well as availability of sounds but playing openhanded I think helps reduce my ergonomic issues.

12. Pearl & Zildjian

Well i have to go with Blackdragon201. Crashes left & right same height , chinas & hihats too.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !