Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Late 80s to Early 90s Drum Sets (MLX, BLX, Artstar II, Granstar)

So I have a bit of a conundrum. I like power toms but also like deep bass drums. I called and tried to order a pearl MCT kit with a 12x10 Tom and they dont make them, if they did Id go with them with no hesitation. I really wish Pearl offered that size. When I look back to pearl MLX and BLX, tama Artstar II and Granstars, I see the power toms I like but the bass drums are more shallow.

Im curious if any of those older model pearl and tama series ever made 22x18 or 24x18 bass drums? Also, which tuned lower and sounded fuller between these: Pearl MLX vs BLX and Tama Artstar II vs Granstar?

Thanks for any input.

2. Registered User

My 1990s SRX bass drum, 20" or 22" came only in 16" deep.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. Registered User

Maybe look out for a Yamaha "Rock Tour Custom" from the 90's. These were available with Power Toms, Turbo Toms (Square sizes) & 22x18 Bass drums.
    I recently sold my old Rock Tour Custom's. Brilliant kits & are truly of "That era"

Yamaha Rock Tour Custom with Scymtek Cymbals by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Maybe look out for a Yamaha "Rock Tour Custom" from the 90's. These were available with Power Toms, Turbo Toms (Square sizes) & 22x18 Bass drums.
    I recently sold my old Rock Tour Custom's. Brilliant kits & are truly of "That era"

Those toms remind of the rocket boosters on the space shuttle.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

5. Registered User

I found a Tama Artstar II 24x18 bass drum, but the toms are 10x10, 12x11, and 14x13...that might be a bit tall. By a bit, I mean a lot. Thinking about it though. I was originally wanting to use 2 bass drums and 2 24's might be a bit much also. Trying not to be too rigid but also don't want to compromise too much.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post

Wow, those are beautiful! Bet they sounded immense. I like the idea of having drums that don't rely 100% on mics.

7. Registered User

That's a gorgeous Yammy! I do so prefer the tremble & bellow of a power tom.

8. Joinery apprentice

you could also look for some Sonor Phonic plus's or Sonor Signatures if you want deep bass drums and power toms

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Football_Drums57 View Post
    you could also look for some Sonor Phonic plus's or Sonor Signatures if you want deep bass drums and power toms
    I have never heard of these mysterious holy grail drums you speak of. I must begin my investigations...

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I found a Tama Artstar II 24x18 bass drum, but the toms are 10x10, 12x11, and 14x13...that might be a bit tall. By a bit, I mean a lot. Thinking about it though. I was originally wanting to use 2 bass drums and 2 24's might be a bit much also. Trying not to be too rigid but also don't want to compromise too much.
    With those sizes, it would be a Lars master of puppets/AJFA type set up unless your 67-7. I may be way off on this, but if memory serves, deeper bass drums came into vogue as the power Tom era was fazing out. I had a sheer blue BLX kit with 8x8,10x10, 10x12, 11x13 and 12x14 rack toms and the kicks were 16 x 22.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 06-07-2019 at 08:10 AM.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    With those sizes, it would be a Lars master of puppets/AJFA type set up unless your 6’7”-7’. I may be way off on this, but if memory serves, deeper bass drums came into vogue as the power Tom era was fazing out. I had a sheer blue BLX kit with 8”x8”,10”x10”, 10”x12”, 11”x13” and 12”x14” rack toms and the kicks were 16” x 22”.
    18” deep kicks came into vogue in the early ‘90’s. Prior to that, 16” was the max. I’m pretty sure Lars’s AJFA and BA kits had 16x24 kicks.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    18 deep kicks came into vogue in the early 90s. Prior to that, 16 was the max. Im pretty sure Larss AJFA and BA kits had 16x24 kicks.
    To quote Ed McMahon, You are correct sir!