Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Help In Finding The Right Drum Kit / Sound

I'm looking into buying a new drum set for myself. I have rarely ever played a set of drums i really loved although I've been playing for 30 years (I'm 35). I do though, however, know what I like.

I am from the old school of power toms. I don't like fusion drum sizes. I want my rack toms to be 12 and 13 or 12 and 14 (at the largest). I want a low tuned fundamental as possible and a deep thuddy warm sound. I have always played Pearl drums mostly and not been able to really get this sound out of pearl drums. I have an extensive Drum Corps background and love Pearl snares (free floater snares lend great for tight tuning and crisp rudimental playing) but that's about as far as I go with pearl anymore. I prefer tama pedals and dw pedals. I've never played yamaha. I've played pearl masters, pearl visions, pearl sessions, pearl reference, tama granstar (the bass drum was the best ever), ludwig classic maple, and premier. The drums I have come closest to hearing that I liked were Sonor Force Birch 2005 drums I played that were my dad's. They tuned low and were fairly thuddy and also had a very clear tone. The new pearl MCT drums also sound pretty great, but don't tune quite as low I don't think as the dw's or sonors.

I've been thinking a lot about DW performance drums because they sound like they tune very very low, lower than most all other drums, and are very warm and full, but a lot recordings I hear sound kind of "stick slap" dominant. I hate the stick slap plastic paper cardboard attack some drums get. I like a warm, round, thud. As to whether to get birch, maple, whatever, I don't know if that's even important to tell you the truth. I've also thought about yamaha live custom drums, the bass drum sounds insane, but can't find 12 and 13 rack toms they are all 10 and 12 and I am not sure if oak provides that warm thuddy sound im looking for.

I play hard rock and metal. Trying to sort this out so I can stop wasting money on shipping when I get a drum set, try it, hate it, and send it back. Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. Registered User

I was able to play on a used Pearl masters maple complete today, Bombay sparkle (a tad too Liberace for me, but I digress). Sizes 14”x 24”, 9”x13”, 16”x16” and 16”x18”. They had a very low tuning, but where not dead or cardboard sounding. They rather surprised me with how boomy, but controlled they were. Though they did have Remo pinstripes on them. Quite fun to play. I wouldn’t rule out Pearl.

3. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I'm looking into buying a new drum set for myself. I have rarely ever played a set of drums i really loved although I've been playing for 30 years (I'm 35). I do though, however, know what I like. I am from the old school of power toms. I don't like fusion drum sizes. I want my rack toms to be 12 and 13 or 12 and 14 (at the largest). I want a low tuned fundamental as possible and a deep thuddy warm sound. I have always played Pearl drums mostly and not been able to really get this sound out of pearl drums. I have an extensive Drum Corps background and love Pearl snares (free floater snares lend great for tight tuning and crisp rudimental playing) but that's about as far as I go with pearl anymore. I prefer tama pedals and dw pedals. I've never played yamaha. I've played pearl masters, pearl visions, pearl sessions, pearl reference, tama granstar (the bass drum was the best ever), ludwig classic maple, and premier. The drums I have come closest to hearing that I liked were Sonor Force Birch 2005 drums I played that were my dad's. They tuned low and were fairly thuddy and also had a very clear tone. The new pearl MCT drums also sound pretty great, but don't tune quite as low I don't think as the dw's or sonors. I've been thinking a lot about DW performance drums because they sound like they tune very very low, lower than most all other drums, and are very warm and full, but a lot recordings I hear sound kind of "stick slap" dominant. I hate the stick slap plastic paper cardboard attack some drums get. I like a warm, round, thud. As to whether to get birch, maple, whatever, I don't know if that's even important to tell you the truth. I've also thought about yamaha live custom drums, the bass drum sounds insane, but can't find 12 and 13 rack toms they are all 10 and 12 and I am not sure if oak provides that warm thuddy sound im looking for. I play hard rock and metal. Trying to sort this out so I can stop wasting money on shipping when I get a drum set, try it, hate it, and send it back. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Not sure if any specific brand works better than others but I have a Performance series and it excels in every way, especially in heavy music settings. If you're interested I can send you some sound clips of my kit in a professional recording studio and you can hear how resonant and punchy they are. They've got the DW True Hoops which are beefy flanged hoops and they've never had any issues holding tuning. I've used the kit on numerous tours and they hold up remarkably, and they've gotten compliments from every other drummer who's played them, as well as people hearing them from the front of the house. I wouldn't get rid of these drums unless I was upgrading to a Collector's, and even then I would still probably keep these for touring because they are super solid. It's legitimately hard to make these things sound bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MitchLyons; 06-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.

4. Registered User

Great suggestions guys, both great suggestions. Damn hard to pick between those two if I had to. I've played both and liked both a lot. The Pearl MCT's seemed to have a more clear tone and did tune decently low which I favor but the DW Performance have more a lower fundamenta imol and maybe a bit fuller which I favor.

5. A Passion Play ...

Welcome to the Forum. Tone on a great many kits
    come down to tuning,heads,bearing edges,wood
    type and shell size. There are great drums from
    many companies available these days. Do your
    research and play as many drum sets as possible.
    Have fun on your search and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Eric; 06-03-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

6. Registered User

This comes from a bias perspective since I own one, but the design series is also a very low tuning drum. I bought it because it had the low tone I was looking for and i also liked the small turret lugs. I haven’t had any issues with stick slap as you had mentioned. The performance and design are very close in tone. Performance has slightly larger lugs, black badge and heads and a few more colour options. There isn’t a huge price gap between them either. Seems like your leaning towards DW, and both the Performance and Design series will offer the lower tone your desiring.

7. Masterworks / Sabian

Have you considered the relatively new line of sessions with birch and mahogany ? My MW 16 mahogany floor has been mistaken for an 18 floor. I bet they sound very close with tuning and head choice.

Mahogany is awesome. I would love to get a STS but just don’t have the room with the three acoustic kits.

https://pearldrum.com/products/kits/...studio-select/

8. Registered User

Check out Drummers Review of the Sonor SQ1 drums... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9we0iHEu4
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

9. Registered User

Thanks for the info so far guys. The sessions are cool, I didn’t know they tuned lower than other drums so I’ll need to give those a listen. Those SQ1’s sound like a dream but I’m not sure those are in my price range. The Design DW also sounds great. I’m curious what tama starclassic maples would sound like but those are pretty hard to find. The most accessible I’ve found in colors I like are pearl mct matte black, dw performance or design in chrome shadow or matte black, Yamaha live custom in matte black, or found some older sonor select force drums in gloss black. People also say mapex saturns are known for sound a size bigger than they are, is that the walnut? Very interesting. So, trying to decide between those now. Ive played pearl mct and dw performance before but not any of the others.

10. Registered User

Just reading your post screams to me Pearl MLX or BLX. Right up your street with Power Toms & a wonderful, deep sound with the right heads. Here's a pic of my old MLX which I sold a couple of years ago now

Heavy Metal of Jazz? by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    1992 Pearl MLX Masters series by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

11. Registered User

That looks gorgeous man. I love that. And yeah my favorite rack Toms are 12x10 and 13x11. I’ve played an mlx bass drum and was pretty disappointed in it but maybe it just had bad heads. I’d prefer either a 22x18 or 24x16-18. I see a lot of 22x16’s and the note is just so short I prefer more sustain. Best heads for mlx for that big warm fat sound?

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    That looks gorgeous man. I love that. And yeah my favorite rack Toms are 12x10 and 13x11. I’ve played an mlx bass drum and was pretty disappointed in it but maybe it just had bad heads. I’d prefer either a 22x18 or 24x16-18. I see a lot of 22x16’s and the note is just so short I prefer more sustain. Best heads for mlx for that big warm fat sound?
    They originally came from the factory with Pinstripes on top & ambassadors on the bottom. The Bassdrum would have a clear Pinstripe also. I tried many heads over the years on it but always Pinstripes or Emperors sounded far, far better than anything else. Preferred head on the Bassdrum was a clear Pinstripe also with a pillow & tuned just above wrinkle with the front head tighter & a kick port. It was thunderous & to this day, still one of the most powerful bass drums I have ever played
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.