Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    They look very nice!
    Thanks Matt!

To the op, good luck with the build and post some pics.

2. Registered User

I wouldn't suggest using a CL/BRL/STL-65 lug on an 8" deep snare. I was trying to show what the additional wiggle-room would be. I would go with a lug that is closer to the 5" mounting hole spacing, like the TB-80. I think the 6.25" lug you were considering would work, but would be cutting it close. Using a CL-65 on an 8" deep snare will work, but (I think) will look too small for the drum.

I just looked at your original suggestion on DFD, the DC-160 I presume? I think you could use that lug, but when the heads stretch, your head collars will get very close to the lug casings.

Would you consider two rows of CL-100 lugs? Then you can space them the way you like. Just by coincidence, DFD just happens to have 20 of the CL-100B in stock, so you could stick with the black lug theme you used on the other snare.
    I initially agreed that the CL-65 would look odd and too small, but I took a spare that I had laying around and put it up against my 8x14 Tama Granstar snare, and realized that it was almost the same size as those lugs, maybe only 1/8 of an inch shorter (just eyeballing it). Truth be told, if I didn't love the way my Granstar sounds and looks, I'd cannibalize it for those awesome hourglass lugs, because to me they just look ridiculously cool. But I'm not going to do that, and I only know one person who has any of those lugs in quantity, Cade Capp from Savage Drums, and he only seems to sell parts when he feels like, to whom he feels like. (I don't know him personally, and am not trying to knock the guy, but any attempt at an interaction with him on through the various Tama-centric Facebook groups has been met with silence.) Also, I can't imagine that sending him an email saying, basically, "Hi, I know you're making bell bronze drums yourself and trying to run a business, and good luck with that, but I've bought a drum from a competitor and would love to get hardware from you" would be met with much enthusiasm.

Also, remember that Tama used to use VERY small lugs, comparatively, on their snares way back on the old Imperialstar Mastercraft snares, the rosewood snares, and the original bell bronze snares from the early 80s, before switching to the high-tension lugs. While I like the way they look, there's far more empty space on the 6.5 inch shells on those drums than there will be with a 4 3/16 lug on an 8 inch shell. If it's the right lug, sometimes it just works, and I think the CL-65 will serve that purpose well, as I quite enjoy the way it pops on the 6.5 bell bronze. The simplicity of it, the almost brutal subtlety of it, and the harsh and sharp angle of the corners really works well with the chunkiness of the hoops.

And yes, the DC-160 is the longer lug that I was looking at, and I think you're right, that it would be a bit too close to the hoops to be comfortable, they probably wouldn't be accommodating for head stretch.

I was considering the black CL-100 lugs briefly, but for whatever reason, I really want typical chrome on this new drum. I don't know why. I love the way the black looks on the 6.5, but for whatever reason I just can't picture it on the 8.

Everything has now been ordered, and it's just a matter of 8 weeks or so before I've got the shell and hoops in my hands and can get everything assembled.

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbyfailure View Post
    I initially agreed that the CL-65 would look odd and too small, but I took a spare that I had laying around and put it up against my 8x14 Tama Granstar snare, and realized that it was almost the same size as those lugs, maybe only 1/8 of an inch shorter (just eyeballing it). Truth be told, if I didn't love the way my Granstar sounds and looks, I'd cannibalize it for those awesome hourglass lugs, because to me they just look ridiculously cool. But I'm not going to do that, and I only know one person who has any of those lugs in quantity, Cade Capp from Savage Drums, and he only seems to sell parts when he feels like, to whom he feels like. (I don't know him personally, and am not trying to knock the guy, but any attempt at an interaction with him on through the various Tama-centric Facebook groups has been met with silence.) Also, I can't imagine that sending him an email saying, basically, "Hi, I know you're making bell bronze drums yourself and trying to run a business, and good luck with that, but I've bought a drum from a competitor and would love to get hardware from you" would be met with much enthusiasm.

Also, remember that Tama used to use VERY small lugs, comparatively, on their snares way back on the old Imperialstar Mastercraft snares, the rosewood snares, and the original bell bronze snares from the early 80s, before switching to the high-tension lugs. While I like the way they look, there's far more empty space on the 6.5 inch shells on those drums than there will be with a 4 3/16 lug on an 8 inch shell. If it's the right lug, sometimes it just works, and I think the CL-65 will serve that purpose well, as I quite enjoy the way it pops on the 6.5 bell bronze. The simplicity of it, the almost brutal subtlety of it, and the harsh and sharp angle of the corners really works well with the chunkiness of the hoops.

And yes, the DC-160 is the longer lug that I was looking at, and I think you're right, that it would be a bit too close to the hoops to be comfortable, they probably wouldn't be accommodating for head stretch.

I was considering the black CL-100 lugs briefly, but for whatever reason, I really want typical chrome on this new drum. I don't know why. I love the way the black looks on the 6.5, but for whatever reason I just can't picture it on the 8.

Everything has now been ordered, and it's just a matter of 8 weeks or so before I've got the shell and hoops in my hands and can get everything assembled.
    I look forward to seeing the finished drum. Mine only weighs 17 lbs. I bet your 8" deep bell bronze will be in the 20s.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

I look forward to seeing the finished drum. Mine only weighs 17 lbs. I bet your 8" deep bell bronze will be in the 20s.
    I would think this to be a solid estimate. The weight on the shipping label from the 6.5 said 43 pounds, though a good portion of that was the packaging. I'm definitely going to make a video of the unboxing process, the level of care put into ensuring the safety of the drum was absolutely absurd. John sent me an email the day he shipped it, saying that he did everything he could to package everything carefully, which turned out to be an understatement. Dense foam, plywood, cloth wrapping on the shell and hoops, more foam, more plywood....UPS could've dragged the box behind the truck, and everything probably would've shown up perfectly intact. I'd been looking at Oriollo and VK and Savage and Tempest for my first bell bronze snare, but after talking a bit with Up2Speed from this forum, I went with Duluth, but with some hesitation. After corresponding with John Holt directly, and seeing the way he made sure to run every single detail by me, keeping me in the loop about everything, and then seeing the packaging job, I knew that while other companies may provide a drum of equal (though I'm doubting better) quality, I truly can't imagine anyone putting that much genuine care into their work. Not trying to slam anyone with that, but having spent a good number of years working in music retail, I've seen enough packaging of drums, even from major manufacturers....what John does borders on obsessive, and I really like that.

I am curious to see how much the new beast weighs....8x14.....5mm bronze with the hoops.....I don't think it'll beat the 36 pound sewer pipe snare I've got, but I imagine it'll try.

5. Playing since 1976

I would think this to be a solid estimate. The weight on the shipping label from the 6.5 said 43 pounds, though a good portion of that was the packaging. I'm definitely going to make a video of the unboxing process, the level of care put into ensuring the safety of the drum was absolutely absurd. John sent me an email the day he shipped it, saying that he did everything he could to package everything carefully, which turned out to be an understatement. Dense foam, plywood, cloth wrapping on the shell and hoops, more foam, more plywood....UPS could've dragged the box behind the truck, and everything probably would've shown up perfectly intact. I'd been looking at Oriollo and VK and Savage and Tempest for my first bell bronze snare, but after talking a bit with Up2Speed from this forum, I went with Duluth, but with some hesitation. After corresponding with John Holt directly, and seeing the way he made sure to run every single detail by me, keeping me in the loop about everything, and then seeing the packaging job, I knew that while other companies may provide a drum of equal (though I'm doubting better) quality, I truly can't imagine anyone putting that much genuine care into their work. Not trying to slam anyone with that, but having spent a good number of years working in music retail, I've seen enough packaging of drums, even from major manufacturers....what John does borders on obsessive, and I really like that.

I am curious to see how much the new beast weighs....8x14.....5mm bronze with the hoops.....I don't think it'll beat the 36 pound sewer pipe snare I've got, but I imagine it'll try.
    5mm thick... wow! I bet the 8x14, 5mm thick, with hardware will be very close to 36 lbs! My 6.5x14 is only 3mm thick. I wanted the lowest possible fundamental note, and the thinnest shell will achieve that.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Name:  IMG_20190217_215034.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  81.9 KB

My Duluth thinking of gold lugs or black next ��❤️

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post

My Duluth thinking of gold lugs or black next ��❤️
    Is this the new one? I saw those lugs on DFD's website.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    That snare looks seriously awesome!

I can't even begin to imagine how much the shipping charges were to get it all the way to Australia, but I'm sure it was entirely worth it.

Regarding black lugs, here's my 6.5x14 with black Pearl lugs and a black Reference strainer.
    Name:  BB.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  48.5 KB

9. Drumming Since 1943

That snare looks seriously awesome!

I can't even begin to imagine how much the shipping charges were to get it all the way to Australia, but I'm sure it was entirely worth it.

Regarding black lugs, here's my 6.5x14 with black Pearl lugs and a black Reference strainer.
    Name:  BB.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  48.5 KB
    Holy ****. That snare would look unreal on my kit. Just sayin.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Wow black looks epic!!

11. Registered User

Well, after what has seemed like forever, my new snare is finally in the mail and will be delivered this Thursday.

12. Unban nik12

Well, after what has seemed like forever, my new snare is finally in the mail and will be delivered this Thursday.
    Excited to see that beast. What are the specs again?