Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbyfailure View Post
    Can i see a pic of your kit straight on?
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Registered User

Name:  IMG_3294.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  96.7 KB

This is from a little while ago, but I think it is a good pic.

3. Registered User

Name:  20190830_223118.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  95.1 KB

Here is how it looks now.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    How does it sound?
    It took me a minute to dial it in, but I think I have found my sound. It is shockingly loud, which is to be expected, but it isn't just brute force. It is exceptionally sensitive. Tuned where I have it, you definitely get the metallic crack and projection, but with three pieces of moongel, it tempers the ferocious ring and brings out the depth of the shell, and almost a woody quality to the tone. And even with the ample dampening, the wires just jump at the slightest touch. Unfortunately the mailman damaged the Sabian wires I ordered for the drum, so I'm using plain 42 strand Tama wires for now...I expect that the bronze wires, once on the drum, will be even more sensitive and crisp. We will see.

5. Registered User

Have you had a chance to tune it up(and down) and check it's versatility? My plan is to get the exact same snare(actually..8 1/2 X 14) but I am told it's somewhat limited, or at least not as versatile as a 'typical' snare. So, I may just go with a regular, standard depth.

How are you enjoying it? It looks like a beauty!!

Take care,

Kennan

6. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Don't drop it on your toes.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbyfailure View Post
    Name:  20190830_223118.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  95.1 KB

Here is how it looks now.
    Very cool. I asked for the front shot because your kicks looked almost set straight on, with no angle. Now I can See it’s the pic.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Have you had a chance to tune it up(and down) and check it's versatility? My plan is to get the exact same snare(actually..8 1/2 X 14) but I am told it's somewhat limited, or at least not as versatile as a 'typical' snare. So, I may just go with a regular, standard depth.

How are you enjoying it? It looks like a beauty!!

Take care,

Kennan
    I have. Once the heads had sat overnight I gave it a good six hour workout at the tuning that I enjoy. It has volume and projection for days, but is surprisingly warm. It definitely packs a punch, but not one that is abrasive or offensive. The day after the marathon practice, I started messing with the tuning. I tuned it down, almost to the point where the tension rods were only finger tight, and it has that huge, boomy 1984 Def Leppard thump. I tuned it up to mid range, and it really is a sound that would fit into almost any musical style. Tuned very high, like to the point that my fingers were starting to hurt from turning the drumkey, it still sounds great....it doesn't choke and doesn't start to sound thin or lose body, it's just a very high, ear-piercing crack.

As far as sensitivity, while I can't speak for any Tama or Sonor or Gretsch or DW or OCDP or whoever else makes bell bronze snares, I can speak from owning two Duluth drums. Sensitivity isn't an issue at all with the Duluth shells. Of course with the shell being as thick as it is, when tuning to a higher pitch, you do lose some sensitivity around the extreme outside of the head. But on the part of the head where you'd be realistically playing never chokes or deadens. I do have 42 strand wires on both drums, so I'm sure that helps, but I really can't imagine there being an issue with a lack of sensitivity. That said, what I consider to be sensitive, you may not, but the wires just jump at even the slightest touch to the batter head. I'm pretty much a meat and potatoes, provide a heavy backbeat player, and I'm not doing anything terribly intricate, but having let a friend play the new drum, one who is very much a ghost note/intricate touch player, there wasn't an issue at all with him getting every stroke to be heard as he wanted it to be. I truly don't believe that you will be lacking any versatility from a bell bronze snare, regardless of who makes it, though I do wholeheartedly endorse Duluth, and honestly wouldn't even consider getting a drum that John didn't make should I decide I need a third.

9. Registered User

Congrats on your snare! I have exact same build ����
    https://youtu.be/kezPUl6Nl9U