Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Custom bell bronze snare order

Hello, everyone.

I've got a custom 8x14 bell bronze snare on order from Duluth Brass, and I'm in the process of selecting lugs. However, I do have some questions, and am just kinda thinking out loud on this one.

I've narrowed it down to a few lug choices. One is a 6 1/4 inch long Worldmax high tension lug, which I like because of the visual similarities to the old Tama lugs from the 80s, as well as the stability it'll provide me should I decide to really crank the heads. My concern with a lug that long, however, is that top and bottom may be too close to the hoops, and I'll be bottoming out. Am I overthinking how much travel the rim will experience even under extreme tension, or is this something I'd actually have to worry about?

The other option I'm looking at is the Pearl CL65, which is what I have on my other Duluth BB. Again, length is a concern. For lack of a better way to put it, I'm concerned that a lug that's designed for a 6.5 shell will look, well, stupid on a drum that's 8 inches deep. Looking at them on the Modern Utility 7x12 snare, they look good, but I'm worried that the extra depth of the drum vs the length of the lug will prove to be both cosmetically unpleasing and limited in function. Any thoughts?

If anyone has any advice, or an alternative that I haven't thought of, have at it....

2. Playing since 1976

Comparing to proportions used by Pearl and Tama, you're cutting it close. For example, for a Pearl 6.5" deep snare, they would use a CL-65, BRL-65, or STL-65, lug that measures 88mm apart at the outermost mounting holes (little less than 3.5"). They're leaving approximately 3" of open space, 1.5" on each side. On a Tama SLP 6.5" deep snare, they use lugs that have a 70mm hole spacing (a little more than 2.75"), even more room for play. Now, Tama uses tighter tolerances with their Starclassic and Starphonic snares, but I wouldn't push it. You could always use a longer tension rod, but once they mount too closely, then you will have to use collar-less heads to keep the counter-hoops away from the lugs.

Have you considered Pearl TB80 tube lugs? As a comparison, they mount with a 127mm hole spacing, which is only 5". That's one option Pearl might use on an 8" deep drum.

On my new bell bronze, I used Tama solid brass tube lugs, with 70mm hole spacing, on a 6.5" deep snare. I like the way it looks and functions.

Are you getting your Duluth shells clear coated, or do you let them patina naturally? I had mine clear coated.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

1st choice - high tension lugs

Name:  pearl snare.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  87.9 KB

2nd choice - 20 (10 top/10 bottom) old school coffin style lugs

Name:  IMG_2009.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  67.1 KB

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    2nd choice - 20 (10 top/10 bottom) old school coffin style lugs

Name:  IMG_2009.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  67.1 KB
    Man, I love this snare!

5. Registered User

Hey does anyone know more about that Pearl coffin lug snare. I tried to google with some keywords but just got the standard depth snare with uni-lug. TIA!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Hey does anyone know more about that Pearl coffin lug snare. I tried to google with some keywords but just got the standard depth snare with uni-lug. TIA!
    That picture actually comes from a thread on here.
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...nare-Questions

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    If you're needing a replacement, DFD offers lugs that really look close to the original.
    https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/in...ducts_id=11951

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Are you getting your Duluth shells clear coated, or do you let them patina naturally? I had mine clear coated.
    I am not, no. I like the way the shell on my first shell has weathered, so I'm going to stick with that.

Also, thanks for the info about the lugs. You verbalized what was bouncing around in my head about spacing, which I just couldn't put into words. In my head, it seems like there'll be this massive gap between the lugs and the rim using a lug for a 6.5 inch snare, which won't be the case mathematically. For whatever reason, it just SEEMS like it'll be huge.

I have considered tube lugs, yes, but as much as I admire the way they look on some drums, your CCW snares especially, I just don't care for them personally. I don't know why, but I want my drums to look chunky and massive and almost ugly. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I really like the way the black CL-65 lugs look on my first bell bronze, both in the contrast of color between the shell and the hardware, and the way their shape compliments the rigid visual aesthetic of the hoops. I am almost positive that'll be the route I go again, just in regular chrome this time. But give me an hour and I'll reconsider this, too.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    That picture actually comes from a thread on here.
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...nare-Questions
    Ah thanks! I guess not too many of those are for sale these days - just looked around the internet. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled though. I'm very particular to those lugs and deep maple snares.

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbyfailure View Post
    I am not, no. I like the way the shell on my first shell has weathered, so I'm going to stick with that.

Also, thanks for the info about the lugs. You verbalized what was bouncing around in my head about spacing, which I just couldn't put into words. In my head, it seems like there'll be this massive gap between the lugs and the rim using a lug for a 6.5 inch snare, which won't be the case mathematically. For whatever reason, it just SEEMS like it'll be huge.

I have considered tube lugs, yes, but as much as I admire the way they look on some drums, your CCW snares especially, I just don't care for them personally. I don't know why, but I want my drums to look chunky and massive and almost ugly. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I really like the way the black CL-65 lugs look on my first bell bronze, both in the contrast of color between the shell and the hardware, and the way their shape compliments the rigid visual aesthetic of the hoops. I am almost positive that'll be the route I go again, just in regular chrome this time. But give me an hour and I'll reconsider this, too.
    I wouldn't suggest using a CL/BRL/STL-65 lug on an 8" deep snare. I was trying to show what the additional wiggle-room would be. I would go with a lug that is closer to the 5" mounting hole spacing, like the TB-80. I think the 6.25" lug you were considering would work, but would be cutting it close. Using a CL-65 on an 8" deep snare will work, but (I think) will look too small for the drum.

I just looked at your original suggestion on DFD, the DC-160 I presume? I think you could use that lug, but when the heads stretch, your head collars will get very close to the lug casings.

Would you consider two rows of CL-100 lugs? Then you can space them the way you like. Just by coincidence, DFD just happens to have 20 of the CL-100B in stock, so you could stick with the black lug theme you used on the other snare.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Registered User

These are what you need....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    These are what you need....
    They look very nice!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE