Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    171

    Default Thinking about a DW stainless kit

    But Ouch!!! The pricing is eye watering expensive In Canada.
    I got a quote today for a 4 piece shell pack, 13”,16”,18”,24”, no snare that came in around $9800 taxes in. Then add 10% for nickel plating. Damn.
    But comparatively the Tama Stars are close in price too.

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North AL
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Dang you canucks pay through the nose!! I bet those stainless kits would sound good. Wasn't Bonham converting to or already playing a stainless kit when he died?? Dunno...seems like I read something to that effect. But no way would I pay 9 grand and have to live with those DW lugs.

    The Tama Stars are beautiful, but I could live just as easy with the Starclassics.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks


  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    That's my kind of kit.
    You should totally get them and post lots of pictures and video.

    I believe the DW stainless steel kits are priced inline with their exotics.
    Someone like Erik at Cymbal Fusion out of Houston, TX could probably get you those for under $6000 USD.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    171

    Default

    [QUOTE=dexplosion;1854449691]


    I believe the DW stainless steel kits are priced inline with their exotics.



    That makes sense. The pricing structure wasn’t In Long and McQuade’s system up here, as they haven’t sold one here yet. I was kinda going off standard Collectors pricing which for a 2up, 2 down, bass drum goes for about $5500. I figured it would be in that range. The bass drum is $3250 alone. For a rolled 1.5mm sheet of steel, that’s a bit much. But, knowing me, It probably won’t deter me.

  5. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    That's my kind of kit.
    You should totally get them and post lots of pictures and video.

    I believe the DW stainless steel kits are priced inline with their exotics.
    Someone like Erik at Cymbal Fusion out of Houston, TX could probably get you those for under $6000 USD.
    I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of a DW stainless kit as well!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  6. Георги

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,738

    Default

    I would check out how much a Q Drum Co. kit would cost. Might come a bit cheaper and they're quality

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Or look in to an Oriollo seamless kit. Probably cost half as much.

  8. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    Or look in to an Oriollo seamless kit. Probably cost half as much.
    No stainless steel coming from Oriollo... and 24" kick drums either, as of yet.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    No stainless steel coming from Oriollo... and 24" kick drums either, as of yet.
    They do make manganese steel kits though. In my little bit of research, the manganese steel is a stronger/harder metal than stainless. As for what that does to the acoustics of the metal, I do not know, but it doesn't sound like it is an inferior metal. But give them time. I'm sure they are working on a way to make stainless kits. Even 24" shells.

    Even with the 22" bass drum, this kit sounds pretty damn good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sv6...hannel=Oriollo
    Last edited by Tommy_D; 05-31-2019 at 03:15 PM.

  10. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    They do make manganese steel kits though. In my little bit of research, the manganese steel is a stronger/harder metal than stainless. As for what that does to the acoustics of the metal, I do not know, but it doesn't sound like it is an inferior metal. But give them time. I'm sure they are working on a way to make stainless kits. Even 24" shells.

    Even with the 22" bass drum, this kit sounds pretty damn good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sv6...hannel=Oriollo
    Sure, the Mangana is nice, and 22" kicks are fine with most drummers. It's just that the Oriollo Mangana doesn't check any of the boxes for the OP. It's nice, but it's just different than what the OP wants.

    As for bending a sheet of stainless around a mold, I don't think Vukan will want to try to do that, since Stainless becomes more and more resistant as you try to massage it. BUT, if anyone can do it, Vukan will find a way.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Drumming 4 Life is correct, the others might be nice (the Oriollo does sound good ) but i am looking at the DW’s. It comes down to our crappy dollar giving me the sticker shock.

    Canadian Price. American Price

    24” Bass Drum. $3250 $2400
    13” Rack Tom. $1500 $1100
    16” Floor Tom. $1950 $1400
    18” Floor Tom $2150 $1587

    Add 10% for nickel plating, and our sales taxes at 12%

    Total Canadian is $10,841 for four shells!?!? A hare over $7K American which is still a hell of a lot, but more palatable.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 06-01-2019 at 06:13 PM.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    From how Jason Bonham described them the tuning range is fairly limited. It's a really cool kit though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •