Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Oh... yet another One More Thing...

Remember the time when I was supposed to get a new floor tom to replace the one with a surface defect? Neither did I.

I was sitting on a grassy knoll, listening to music on my confusing octa-core digital multi-function device, pondering the meaning of life when I suddenly heard a loud ringing sound. Sort of like a telephone mixed with the sounds of... Metallica?

I didn't recognise the number but I thought perhaps it's that one doctor... although it's a late friday afternoon. It wasn't a doctor but instead my DRUM DEALER!

She said that they and Pearl demand that I ship my old drum to them before monday, or else.

I thought well this is extremely odd since I've been trying to make the exchange happen since November of LAST YEAR! After several cases of lost contact etc., circa mid-March I thought this is all pointless and I'm just going to keep having the old tom lying around somewhere in the garage with it's removed legs still taped together in a huge cardboard box full of bubble wrap, left over from my previous attempt to ship it across the continent expecting to receive a new one in its stead.

After being completely confused concerning what superpowers I, being just an ordinary man, am expected to have to make a drum travel that far that fast (as the last time I heard on the wireless, postal ships do not sail but are moored on the weekend), the agent also realised the stupidity and implausibility of this scheme. So I was given the slightly more possible alternative of (re)packaging the drum and providing them with a stamped proof of the package having been sent before or on Monday. Or else.

After ending the phone call with a "thank you, bye", I thought well now this is perfect, exactly what I needed after the depressing argument I'd had with an old friend earlier that day. I felt odd shivers and decided to leave the grassy knoll. It was too chilly out there, while I'd always thought the sun was supposed to be warm.

The next day, I went in the garage to search for the drum, the box, packing tape etc. all the while slowly starting to say in my head "you f... you mot... co... imb... f... ...ing KNOBHEADS!" directed at no one in particular. I found all the necessary stuff after a while.

Because THIS had taken half a year of time to happen and they somehow thought it necessary or appropriate now to make demands and on very short notice impose deadlines on ME, I felt they were being contemptuous... so I was offended and admittedly angry. I decided to type a short letter (in German, the store is in Germany) and tape it on the side of the tom. Sort of as something pointed more directly to whoever will actually open the package. Someone at the store or someone at Pearl? The note says mostly, roughly
    "
    I have been personally promised a replacement by the manufacturer who has acknowledged the defect.
    What has been agreed upon is:
    I return this drum
    and
    I receive a new drum as a replacement

There is no room for any other interpretations and there are no conditions.

I'm putting it blunt like this because I've already returned the drum once and I do not want the same thing to happen again (the SAME drum being returned to me).
    "

I hope the glue from the scotch tape doesn't damage the lacquer. God forbid.

So anyway...

How has your day been?

2. Vintage 1968

Good luck to you.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth:

3. Drumming Since 1943

What was the issue with the drum?
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What was the issue with the drum?
    I'm not on here much but as I recall it was a huge glue seem. Like really deep and wide. Didn't look right to me.

Good luck. Maybe they'll ship your drum on the Concord! Oh,wait. I think that came apart at the seems too!

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I'm not on here much but as I recall it was a huge glue seem. Like really deep and wide. Didn't look right to me.

Good luck. Maybe they'll ship your drum on the Concord! Oh,wait. I think that came apart at the seems too!
    That’s right. Now I recall. Yes- totally unacceptable: both the drum and Pearl Europe’s “customer service”.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Godspeed, gentleman.

7. Registered User

Yes, the issue for all who don't know or remember was a gap in the seam of the outermost layer of the shell, a gap so wide that it can easily be felt even through the lacquer. You could stick a guitar pick and slide it across that groove, no slipping guaranteed, if you're into that sort of thing. It caused a bit of a stir here, since some people minded that such defects are only to be expected and acceptable on a cheap, 300 USD, drum and others disagreed.

Thanks for your kind words.

Oh... something very meaningful that I forgot up there. In my email to the dealer, I told them to tell Pearl that I do not appreciate the tone they now have (I don't know who at PME are handling this thing). And, I said that

the best customer service agent for European customers works for Pearl USA in Nashville. So, that's that. Thank you, Al.

8. Registered User

Good luck with this, second time around. I remember the original thread and thought - this defect isn't right irrespective of how much the drum cost.

I hope Pearl sort this for you and restore your faith in those you have lost faith in.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

9. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    Yes, the issue for all who don't know or remember was a gap in the seam of the outermost layer of the shell, a gap so wide that it can easily be felt even through the lacquer. You could stick a guitar pick and slide it across that groove, no slipping guaranteed, if you're into that sort of thing. It caused a bit of a stir here, since some people minded that such defects are only to be expected and acceptable on a cheap, 300 USD, drum and others disagreed.

Thanks for your kind words.

Oh... something very meaningful that I forgot up there. In my email to the dealer, I told them to tell Pearl that I do not appreciate the tone they now have (I don't know who at PME are handling this thing). And, I said that

the best customer service agent for European customers works for Pearl USA in Nashville. So, that's that. Thank you, Al.
    Al is just a great guy no matter what continent he is on. And he's been playing a lot longer than he's been at Pearl, so he has a great respect and understanding for quality.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth: