Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Colorsounds grew on me.

When Paiste brought back the Colorsounds, I knew I wanted a purple set to go with my new red/blue hybrid sparkle (purple looking) Saturn V. I asked Murat to get a set of them in, so I could try them. I ended up getting the 14" hats, which sounded great, 16" crash that sounded too much like a splash, so it went back, 17,18,19 crash which I wasn't in love with at first, and the 18" china. I also got the 8" and 10" splashes which sounded fine. I already had the Danny Carey sig ride in purple, that is a great dry rock ride. Not quite as nice sounding as my Neil Peart sig ride, but looked great with the kit, along with the new arrivals.

After almost a year with the crashes, I was almost ready to give up, and put a different set on my recording kit. It wasn't until I started recording original music with an old friend, that I realized how nicely they record. The Crash cymbals loose the splashy cheapness that I was hearing from behind the kit, and have a very balanced, tight, clean sound that because of the paint, get out of the way very quickly. One of my favourite drummers, who also happens to be a Mapex endorser, Aquilis Priester, has all of his Paiste cymbals treated with the Colorsound treatment, and I think I understand why now. He plays a monster kit, and is very busy, and wants sounds to happen, then get out of the way for the next sound. Glad I gave them a chance. Just need to add the 20" crash now, and I am complete.

Last edited by sticks4drums; 05-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.

2. A Passion Play ...

Looks great. Like the Danny Carey ride too.
    I hear Paiste makes some nice cymbals.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Registered User

Glad the sound of these cymbals worked out for you Sticks4drums. Most certainly, they look great on your Mapex kit!

4. Now With More "Whiz"

Ever consider building a small 4-piece jellybean kit in red, blue, black and purple and then matching it with a jellybean array of cymbals?

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Looks great. Like the Danny Carey ride too.
    I hear Paiste makes some nice cymbals.
    Thanks Eric! Was never really a Paiste fan until these dropped, and honestly bought them specifically for the look. I will say I really liked the sound of signature crashes when listened to them on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Glad the sound of these cymbals worked out for you Sticks4drums. Most certainly, they look great on your Mapex kit!
    Thanks TM! For a long time I was pretending they worked. Nice to finally enjoy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    Ever consider building a small 4-piece jellybean kit in red, blue, black and purple and then matching it with a jellybean array of cymbals?
    Well I have never been a fan of mismatched anything. Kind of messes with my OCD.

6. Purple Crazed

I am glad to read that you are really enjoying how the Paiste Colorsounds record (and they look great with your kit). I hope you are having a great day Glen!

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I am glad to read that you are really enjoying how the Paiste Colorsounds record (and they look great with your kit). I hope you are having a great day Glen!
    Thanks for the kind words RG! Right back at you buddy.

8. Masterworks / Sabian

Looks awesome!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    Looks awesome!
    Thanks!

10. Music Lover

I am now a Mapex and Sabian guy, but I used to be a Paiste guy. I used to have some Colorsound black hats that I really liked. Your rig is quite nice. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    I am now a Mapex and Sabian guy, but I used to be a Paiste guy. I used to have some Colorsound black hats that I really liked. Your rig is quite nice. Peace and goodwill.
    Thanks buddy! I have almost all Sabians and love them. I really only got these for the colour hoping they would sound good. The hats are probably the best sounding part of the set.

12. life start at 125bpm

yep, what seems to sound dead in live settings is often perfect for recordings.

when you play a lot of notes inside a bar,you need more cut in sound otherwise everything may gets muddy ,each sound running over the next which gives an awfull mix. you can always add some ''tone''' via light processing anyways.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes