Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Ian Paice Signature snare

Does anyone know what year the IP snare was introduced? Seems it's the longest 'still in production' sig. snare that pearl still offers. thanks all!!

2. Registered User

It was released in 2002. The Omar Hakim is the only current signature snare that has been around longer.

3. Unban nik12

Worth mentioning that the IP has also changed. If I'm not mistaken it used to be full brass shell with brass hardware, not sure if it was plated or brass hardware though, tbh. The current iteration with the lug locks is very cool.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Worth mentioning that the IP has also changed. If I'm not mistaken it used to be full brass shell with brass hardware, not sure if it was plated or brass hardware though, tbh. The current iteration with the lug locks is very cool.
    I believe you are mistaken. Is is possible you are thinking of the Jimmy Degrasso snare which was hammered brass with gold hardware?

5. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    I believe you are mistaken. Is is possible you are thinking of the Jimmy Degrasso snare which was hammered brass with gold hardware?
    You're right! Thanks for that. I knew there was a Pearl snare with that description.

6. Registered User

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I just love that IP snare......still can't figure out how steel (that's usually on the ringy side ) can sound so focused and fat, even before using the internal muffler. I've heard Ian wanted to somewhat emulate a supra phonic ........ just did a side by side youtube listening comparison from Memphis drum shop.....and I personally like the IP better. It's also much heavier and has beautiful chrome on it (not nearly as likely to pit/flake like a supra.) Cheers!!!

7. Registered User

Also....considering IP could be playing say....a 2,000$ Keplinger steel snare, yet still uses his sig. snare, is a testament to him standing behind it all these years later.

8. A Passion Play ...

Iíve had mine for years. Still very
    much in love with this snare drum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

9. Skeld-the -wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I’ve had mine for years. Still very
    much in love with this snare drum.
    Your IP Snare is beautiful Eric ! I have owned one in the past used and it didn’t have the lock nuts but unfortunately I sold it and wish I still had it. J styles get it you won’t be disappointed.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters MRX 4pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare
    14 x 6.5 Maple FF Snare
    14x 5.5 Maple Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    You're right! Thanks for that. I knew there was a Pearl snare with that description.
    I’ve got to say it’s nice to see people communicating like this on a forum. There are plenty of others not necessarily drum related that something like this could create a negative exchange.

Carry on...

11. Registered User

Thanks! I'm gonna get one for sure! Wonder how it would sound with die cast hoops? anyone try?

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by jskyles View Post
    Thanks! I'm gonna get one for sure! Wonder how it would sound with die cast hoops? anyone try?
    Drier is my guess.