Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Chance for an original Masters Studio Birch kit

Hi All,

New to this forum, and new to Pearl drums. My son and I both play drums (started lessons around 3 years back), and currently have a set of Yamaha Stage Customs. A co-worker recently approached me with an opportunity to pick up another set. His dad is a guitar player, but acquired a drum set many years ago that he is looking to sell (hardly ever played). He sent me a cell phone pic of the kit and it is a Masters Studio Birch in White Mist. From the looks of it, this kit is from the 93-96 run of original Masters Studio line. I do not have the sizes yet, from the picture my guess is 22, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 with a matching 6.5x14 snare. I have a few questions on these drums if anyone could help:

1. What is a fair price for this kit assuming they are in good shape for their age?
    2. Would these be the equivalent of the Birch Custom Absolute line from Yamaha?
    3. These appear to have the ISS mounts, I have heard this might not be the best mounting system. Should I switch to other style mounts like Optimounts?

Thanks in advance for any input. I will update the thread once I have a chance to see the kit.

OED

2. Skeld-the -wicked

Welcome to the PDF OED. If it is a MBX it probably is 4ply w 4ply re rings and ISS Tom mounts and superhoops. It depends what shape it is in. I just sold a 5 pc 2000 to 2002 Masters no snare for $850.00 . It took 3 months. I started at $1,150.00 no action at that price. It had optimounts & Die Cast hoops in excellent condition 9.0 out of 10. I think that was a fair price. Without seeing pics It’s tough to guess .
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters MRX 4pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare
    14 x 6.5 Maple FF Snare
    14x 5.5 Maple Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

3. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Hi All,

New to this forum, and new to Pearl drums. My son and I both play drums (started lessons around 3 years back), and currently have a set of Yamaha Stage Customs. A co-worker recently approached me with an opportunity to pick up another set. His dad is a guitar player, but acquired a drum set many years ago that he is looking to sell (hardly ever played). He sent me a cell phone pic of the kit and it is a Masters Studio Birch in White Mist. From the looks of it, this kit is from the 93-96 run of original Masters Studio line. I do not have the sizes yet, from the picture my guess is 22, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 with a matching 6.5x14 snare. I have a few questions on these drums if anyone could help:

1. What is a fair price for this kit assuming they are in good shape for their age?
    3. These appear to have the ISS mounts, I have heard this might not be the best mounting system. Should I switch to other style mounts like Optimounts?

Thanks in advance for any input. I will update the thread once I have a chance to see the kit.

OED
    With the 14" FT and matching snare, $800.00 would be a fair price. He's probably asking less. I have a few questions. It sounds to me like a MBX; 4 ply Birch with Re Rings. Is that it or is it 6 plies Birch; BRX. Jutt is the go to Birch Masters guy. Also, are the FT's hanging or do they have legs? If the FT's are hanging it might be wise to replace the ISS mounts with opti mounts. The ISS should be fine on the other toms. The other difference is that I believe those years came with Super Hoops 2's, instead of die cast Master Cast Hoops. Some people prefer these triple flanged hoops, and others like Fat Tone Hoops. They are all good! Is the color Marine White, Artic White, or Strata White? Never mind; they are all beautiful. Buy! You'll love the way you sound!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    With the 14" FT and matching snare, $800.00 would be a fair price. He's probably asking less. I have a few questions. It sounds to me like a MBX; 4 ply Birch with Re Rings. Is that it or is it 6 plies Birch; BRX. Jutt is the go to Birch Masters guy. Also, are the FT's hanging or do they have legs? If the FT's are hanging it might be wise to replace the ISS mounts with opti mounts. The ISS should be fine on the other toms. The other difference is that I believe those years came with Super Hoops 2's, instead of die cast Master Cast Hoops. Some people prefer these triple flanged hoops, and others like Fat Tone Hoops. They are all good! Is the color Marine White, Artic White, or Strata White? Never mind; they are all beautiful. Buy! You'll love the way you sound!
    I believe they are the 4 play with re-rings. It will be about 2 weeks before I can go see them as my friend is out of town this week and I am gone next week. I think at least one of the FT has legs, but will check when I go see them. I had heard optimounts or RIMS were preferable to the ISS mounts. The hoops look like triple flange from the low res cell phone pic I was sent. The color I saw in the catalog for 93 showed White Mist I believe. I can't wait to go see these drums, I am hoping after a thorough cleaning and new heads that they will be a killer kit.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Welcome to the PDF OED. If it is a MBX it probably is 4ply w 4ply re rings and ISS Tom mounts and superhoops. It depends what shape it is in. I just sold a 5 pc 2000 to 2002 Masters no snare for $850.00 . It took 3 months. I started at $1,150.00 no action at that price. It had optimounts & Die Cast hoops in excellent condition 9.0 out of 10. I think that was a fair price. Without seeing pics It’s tough to guess .
    Thank you for the info Skeld! I will post pics when I get a chance to go see the kit. Can't wait to see them in person.

6. Skeld-the -wicked

Your welcome. Good luck , I hope they are in decent shape . Nova is pretty close on the price.
    About 5 years ago I bought a MLX 5 pc 22,16,13 &12 w/ a matching 14 x6.5 Free Floater Snare for $750.00 from Musicgoround . I no longer own it or have any pics but it was in great shape.
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 05-14-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters MRX 4pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare
    14 x 6.5 Maple FF Snare
    14x 5.5 Maple Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

7. Registered User

On my SRX kit, the 14" and 16" toms were ISS mounted, only the 18" tom had legs. I added legs to the 16 tom and changed from ISS to aluminium OptiMounts on the rest.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

8. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Hi All,

OED
    93-96 Masters Studio in White Mist is almost surely an MBX. If so, it WILL be 4 ply birch shells with 4 ply birch rings. Killer kit without a doubt and most would agree for those who have owned one (I am biased). However, there is another drummer on this forum who has owned nearly every kit known to man and he has also claimed it IS one of the best sounding kits he's ever played. Again, sound is subjective. I bought my MBX in 93 and still have it and gig with it to this day. Love it and never getting rid of it. I would swap the ISS mounts out on the bigger toms. The 10 inch tom would be fine to use the ISS on, but I would switch to optimounts for the others. Those kits came with 1.6 mm stainless steel hoops. Over the years, my hoops on the bigger (12 and 13 inch) toms were actually bent by the ISS mount and the hoops had to be upgraded to 2.3 triple flanged. I still use an ISS mount on my 8 inch tom though with great results. I would also upgrade your floor tom legs to the air suspension feet. Other than that, you will have one helluva kit that is quite rare to find these days. I can't wait to see pics of the condition of the kit. If you click on my MBX makeover link in my signature you can take a look at mine. If the badges have brown lettering, it will be an MBX kit and of course, looking at the interior of the shells is dead give away. : )

price of the kit will depend on condition for sure. This was no question, Pearl's top of the line birch offering in those years. It was released with the Maple MMX which has the same ply layup but maple. The story about why these were discontinued were due to the fact that both the MBX and MMX sounded too much alike and the MBX was a cheaper price I believe. If you got that kit in great condition for $800, I think that is very fair for a professional kit in great condition. Just my opinion! I'd be curious to know what he thinks the price should be.
    Last edited by Jutt8; 05-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    93-96 Masters Studio in White Mist is almost surely an MBX. If so, it WILL be 4 ply birch shells with 4 ply birch rings. Killer kit without a doubt and most would agree for those who have owned one (I am biased). However, there is another drummer on this forum who has owned nearly every kit known to man and he has also claimed it IS one of the best sounding kits he's ever played. Again, sound is subjective. I bought my MBX in 93 and still have it and gig with it to this day. Love it and never getting rid of it. I would swap the ISS mounts out on the bigger toms. The 10 inch tom would be fine to use the ISS on, but I would switch to optimounts for the others. Those kits came with 1.6 mm stainless steel hoops. Over the years, my hoops on the bigger (12 and 13 inch) toms were actually bent by the ISS mount and the hoops had to be upgraded to 2.3 triple flanged. I still use an ISS mount on my 8 inch tom though with great results. I would also upgrade your floor tom legs to the air suspension feet. Other than that, you will have one helluva kit that is quite rare to find these days. I can't wait to see pics of the condition of the kit. If you click on my MBX makeover link in my signature you can take a look at mine. If the badges have brown lettering, it will be an MBX kit and of course, looking at the interior of the shells is dead give away. : )

price of the kit will depend on condition for sure. This was no question, Pearl's top of the line birch offering in those years. It was released with the Maple MMX which has the same ply layup but maple. The story about why these were discontinued were due to the fact that both the MBX and MMX sounded too much alike and the MBX was a cheaper price I believe. If you got that kit in great condition for $800, I think that is very fair for a professional kit in great condition. Just my opinion! I'd be curious to know what he thinks the price should be.
    Thanks Jutt8, I can't wait to see the kit. It's going to be a couple of weeks, but as soon as I have pics I will post. I looked at your post on the cut down of your toms and your kit is awesome!

10. Registered User

Name:  Badge.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  47.7 KBName:  stacked.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  121.8 KB

These are the pictures I got from my friend. Can't see everything, but it was enough to get me interested.

11. Registered User

Yes, Pearl MBX with SS Superhoops II. These Need some elbow grease and probably new heads but then these are very fine drums! The one drum left lower part of the pic is no MBX drum. Has the older coffin type Lugs.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    Yes, Pearl MBX with SS Superhoops II. These Need some elbow grease and probably new heads but then these are very fine drums! The one drum left lower part of the pic is no MBX drum. Has the older coffin type Lugs.
    Good catch, thanks!