Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Mimic Pro on old TD-10 pads

Hi all,

I just purchased the Mimic Pro for my 15+ year old modified Roland TD-10 drum set. The sounds are truly as amazing as I hoped - so that thing is covered... Problem is, however, the "feeling" I have of drumming. So bad that I am considering returning the module and buying a TD-30 or 50K instead although the sounds are worse...

Problem is mostly with the pads (PD-80, PD-100, PD-100 and PD-120). They provide very high output sounds when I hit the centre of the pads - and much lower when I hit outside the centre (with the same power in the stroke). I did not have that problem with my old module... Can that be fixed? Would it e.g. help to upgrade the pads with new microphones or something alike (if possible)?

I would also need a new hihat - would anyone have any recommendations? I have upgraded the kick drum for a KD-85 - that seem to work fine although its needs a new head.

Thanks very much...

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lh03 View Post
    Hi all,

I just purchased the Mimic Pro for my 15+ year old modified Roland TD-10 drum set. The sounds are truly as amazing as I hoped - so that thing is covered... Problem is, however, the "feeling" I have of drumming. So bad that I am considering returning the module and buying a TD-30 or 50K instead although the sounds are worse...

Problem is mostly with the pads (PD-80, PD-100, PD-100 and PD-120). They provide very high output sounds when I hit the centre of the pads - and much lower when I hit outside the centre (with the same power in the stroke). I did not have that problem with my old module... Can that be fixed? Would it e.g. help to upgrade the pads with new microphones or something alike (if possible)?

I would also need a new hihat - would anyone have any recommendations? I have upgraded the kick drum for a KD-85 - that seem to work fine although its needs a new head.

Thanks very much...

This is physical triggers issue with old pad, it's called hotspot click here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyLp3Da60uw with old center cone that are wearing, once you hit the middle it triggers max 127 velocity all the time, and will trigs the highest velocity all the time. Newer generation ATV, PAD TECH, Sided triggers , pad are better then Roland using sided - trio triggers cone, much wider dynamic and no hotspot on any occasion and any circumstance in center.

HIHAT I would recommend VH11 or VH10.

You can join Facegroup MIMIC Group if you want, https://www.facebook.com/groups/pearlmimicpro/

Also you need to configure the pad, input gain, capture top velocity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chrisk; 05-16-2019 at 02:51 PM.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisk View Post
    Newer generation ATV, PAD TECH, Sided triggers , pad are better then Roland using sided - trio triggers cone, much wider dynamic and no hotspot on any occasion and any circumstance.
    thanks very much, Chrisk! Very helpful. Do you think it would be enough to change the cone, or should (/could) I also buy a new trigger mechanism?

4. Registered User

Hi,
    You can try to order one cone to see, hot spot will be reduced for sure, but dynamic range won't be increased, if you are satisfied with the new cone, buy others cones. If still not enough good, buy a kit, like ATV, Pad Tech, Muzzio, unless you can do DIY kit with sided triggers.