Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mimic Pro Issue

1. Registered User

Default Mimic Pro Issue

Got my Mimic Pro a few months ago and still learning how to optimize things. In general, it's working well and sounds great, but I'm having an intermittent issue with the Mimic that I'm hoping the experts on the forum can help me figure out. I'm using Yamaha DTX drum and cymbal pads with the Mimic. Occasionally, the sound from my primary crash cymbal pad clips off abruptly, maybe a second or so after I hit it (almost like it's being manually muted). It seems to happen most at the end of a fill, after a run around the other pads. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's enough to drive me crazy. None of my mixer settings are maxed out and I tried a variety of different trigger settings and cross-talk adjustments, but the problem persists. Even tried a separate cymbal stand to rule-out cross-talk - but it's still happening! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Reb91 View Post
    Got my Mimic Pro a few months ago and still learning how to optimize things. In general, it's working well and sounds great, but I'm having an intermittent issue with the Mimic that I'm hoping the experts on the forum can help me figure out. I'm using Yamaha DTX drum and cymbal pads with the Mimic. Occasionally, the sound from my primary crash cymbal pad clips off abruptly, maybe a second or so after I hit it (almost like it's being manually muted). It seems to happen most at the end of a fill, after a run around the other pads. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's enough to drive me crazy. None of my mixer settings are maxed out and I tried a variety of different trigger settings and cross-talk adjustments, but the problem persists. Even tried a separate cymbal stand to rule-out cross-talk - but it's still happening! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS!
    Yamaha PCY100 Cymbal Pad - 10"

or

Yamaha PCY135 13" 3-Zone ?

First thing to do is select preset cymbal, Input gain and capture top velocity is very important, capture top velocity if not set correctly sound can drop. Also threshold to much low can cause issue, adjust properly.

-Hit cymbal very lightly and increase input gain from 4 to higher and stop increase until sound start detecting.
    -Capture top velocity, hit 5 hard time and click store.
    -Threshold start to 70 and decrease and stop deceasing until all lighter hit are detected
    -Crosstalk suppression

If still issue, did you tried to change your primary cymbal or cable? Some older cymbal can mute, internal rubber debris degradation to the switch and mute the sound on the stick hit, this can happens with Roland Cymbal as well.
    Last edited by Chrisk; 05-11-2019 at 12:54 AM.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisk View Post
    Yamaha PCY100 Cymbal Pad - 10"

or

Yamaha PCY135 13" 3-Zone ?

First thing to do is select preset cymbal, Input gain and capture top velocity is very important, capture top velocity if not set correctly sound can drop. Also threshold to much low can cause issue, adjust properly.

-Hit cymbal very lightly and increase input gain from 4 to higher and stop increase until sound start detecting.
    -Capture top velocity, hit 5 hard time and click store.
    -Threshold start to 70 and decrease and stop deceasing until all lighter hit are detected
    -Crosstalk suppression

If still issue, did you tried to change your primary cymbal or cable? Some older cymbal can mute, internal rubber debris degradation to the switch and mute the sound on the stick hit, this can happens with Roland Cymbal as well.
    Thanks very much for your response. Forgot to mention that I did try switching out the cymbal pads, so I've actually had the same issue with both the PCY100 and the PCY135 when used as the Crash. I didn't think of the cable so I'll try changing that as well. Sounds like I need to mess with the trigger settings some more. I'll follow your directions and see if that does the trick.
    Thanks again. Much appreciated!

4. Registered User

Just an update - Additional trigger setting adjustments did not fix the sound clipping problem described in my original post. I contacted Pearl support and they advised that the problem I've been having is a known issue with some recently shipped Mimic Pro modules. (See the "Mimic Pro SSD drive issues" sticky posted today by Pearl) The fix is to replace the defective module and Pearl immediately sent a return shipping label to return my mimic for a new unit. Awesome support from Pearl - much appreciated! Can't wait to get the new module and get back to playing.