Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Weird stuff happening to Floor tom of a MCX

Hi guys,
    Well to tell u a little story here.
    I purchased a MCX1414FC363 floor tom from Drummer Superstore back in 2014 which I shipped to a friend that has a backline in Colombia. He contacted me a few days ago stating that something weird was happening to the tom finish. From the pictures and videos, he sent me it seems as if mold is forming on top of the lacquered, finish; I asked if that was happening to the other components of the MCX kit he has, and from the pictures and video he sent me is not the case. We are trying to figure out what's going on with the outside of the shell itself as the internal wood grain is not affected in any way.
    Any ideas of what's going on here?
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New happy and proud owner of Tama Starclassic Bubinga - Natural Bubinga finish

2. Registered User

3. th droids yerlookn4

my best guess is ...someone earlier may have been cleaning your tom with some un-orthodox cleaner or polish that was "all natural" and biodegradable( maybe someone thought rubbing beef fat on it would make it shinier ) ...and then perhaps there was an increase in heat/humidity, that triggered the growth of some mold/fungi , or microbes ,, that found said cleaner tasty, and decided to colonize you drum
    my advise find the most not natural sh....stuff , like endust or pledge , and give it a good coating of that instead
    Last edited by 2 basses4life; 05-11-2019 at 09:46 PM.

4. ...A mind like Water...

1. Put on plastic or cloth gloves
    2. Take apart drum
    3. Keep hardware organized
    4. Use windex and microfiber towels on hardware and set aside
    5. Take shell and use windex and a microfiber towel and clean it well. Avoid getting windex inside the shell. Spray the towel and apply buffing force.
    6. Apply car compound and use a fresh microfiber towel and rub in and buff out until you see nothing left.
    7. Repeat previous step but now with polish and a fresh new towel. Never combine chemicals. Always use a new towel.
    8. Repeat previous step but now use carnauba wax.
    9. I use Maguire's compound, polish and wax.
    10. Reassemble and enjoy your new drum .

Good luck!!!
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

5. Playing since 1976

Maguire's Cleaner Wax works really nice too. I've been getting away from Windex, although it works fine. I've been using Trick Drum Polish on all parts of the drum, and it works really nicely!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Mold? I'm willing to bet it's a chemical reaction from the lacquer Pearl used ... there have been complaints of lacquer finishes starting to get hazy/cloudy out of no where ... contact AL on the forum and he'll get things squared away

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    Mold? I'm willing to bet it's a chemical reaction from the lacquer Pearl used ... there have been complaints of lacquer finishes starting to get hazy/cloudy out of no where ... contact AL on the forum and he'll get things squared away
    Thanks, I shot him a message, I did not know about it. Yeah seems odd as the cleaning protocol used for the rest of the kit does not have any effect on the finish as the 14x14 tom
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-13-2019 at 09:38 AM.